Testing and repairing a hackjob ecu harness.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
What's the best way to fix a bad wire and splice job for the ecu. Can I run power to each individual wire. Or is the a better way. I feel like a lot of the wires are bad. And how do I find where the grounds are at. Sorry for the noob questions but while fixing up this car, feels like I'm building a whole new car.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
You need a wiring diagram and you can use a multi meter to test each pin going into the ECU to the correct connector pin. Dr. Tweak and Yotaconnectors rebuilds harnesses as well.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
What setting on the multimeter should I use. And do I have to have the car running? What exactly should I be doing. I'll pull a diagram from somewhere.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
If you are just looking for breaks in the wiring then disconnect the engine harness from the ECU. Then with no power you would check for resistance per wire on the ECU connector pin and on the pin of the connector under the hood you are testing per the wiring diagram.

You should have a small amount of resistance to complete the circuit on the multimeter but if it just shows OL then you have a open on that wire somewhere.