TEMS question

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I have a question about my TEMS on my 88 Supra Turbo. I know that my shocks are pretty blown and want to eventually swap them out with something better. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

But for now I was wondering why my TEMS does not stay on the Sport setting. It will light up on sport and I can here something clicking and then it goes back to Normal. It will go to 3 lights on quite a bit and it seems random under bracking and cornering. But I can be going real slow and all the lights turn on. I can punch it from a stop and nothing turns on.

I've read the TSRM and it says that my TEMS mode select switch is probably bad. Has anyone else had this problem in the past?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
well. from my personal experince: when I put it on sport, the lights never drop past two lights. When I have it on Normal it goes between two and one light. This no help to you was it, you already knew this didn't you. maybe beacuse your shocks are so worn, the computer doesn't qiuet know what to do. Generaly the fronts are worn more than the rear, so when you accelerate the computer is trying to compensate for the worn front strut. Just a guess.

supradreamz

Sep 20, 2009
long island
its probably because the shocks are too worn out for the tems to effect them...

get some tems compatible tikicos and eibach springs...

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Makes sense I guess. My shocks are definately blown on all 4 corners. Feels like a big boat on the highway riding the waves!!

I just want to make sure that I still have the option of getting the Tockico Illuminas II with my TEMS. Don't want to buy new shocks that are TEMS compatible only to find out my TEMS doesn't even work.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Isn't that what it's supposed to do. Its going to the stiffest setting when you brake to prevent nose dive. There's a way to hard wire it so it stays in the stiffest setting all the time.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
iwannadie;1413719 said:
Isn't that what it's supposed to do. Its going to the stiffest setting when you brake to prevent nose dive. There's a way to hard wire it so it stays in the stiffest setting all the time.

I meant to say that it doesn't always go to 3 lights when braking and cornering. It seems to do it randomly. I see it go to 3 lightes even when I brake and i'm going less than 5mph.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
SrBigbutt;1413909 said:
I meant to say that it doesn't always go to 3 lights when braking and cornering. It seems to do it randomly. I see it go to 3 lightes even when I brake and i'm going less than 5mph.

It depends on the speed and how hard you press the brakes, so it may seem random. Or I could be totally wrong but I really thought that's normal behavior.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Its probably working as its supposed to. Just that the shocks don't allow it to stay in sport mode. Every once in a while when i'm on the highway I will notice that it magically turned to 2 lights on by itself. Oh well.

I guess I just need to decide on what suspension setup to go with and leave all options open. Need to do some more research and look at more pics.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
uhhh, tems does not have a magic brain that knows how shot your shocks are. It is an electrical system that uses various inputs to decide where the actuators should be set for a certain throttle/brake/steer positions and cornering accelleration and vehicle speed. The lights should all light under braking. They should all light under heavy accell. When in normal mode (1 light on) it will move to sport mode (2 lights) based on vehicle speed (you may notice this on the hwy). Mine goes from normal to sport right around 75 mph (manual confirms that is the speed it should switch). Also there is a way to run diagnostics for TEMS opperation in the repair manual. I will find the link.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FA&P=29

You will notice that the number of lights and therefore TEMS actuator position has nothing to due with how worn your shocks are...Please don't post BS for others to read when you don't have a clue what is going on with the system.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I've been told that if your shocks are in that bad of a shape, it's cheaper and easier to ditch the TEMS system and just get 4 normal shocks. You can get really good performance for less money on 4 shocks than you would getting one TEMS-compatable shock, and you don't have to worry about whether the TEMS system will crap itself out altogether because you took it out of the equation. I still have TEMS in mine and one shock in the passenger-side rear is starting to give. I haven't made up my mind yet on whether or not I'm keeping TEMS, but if I lose another shock it'll probably make the point moot. Can't afford to keep replacing 'em at that rate.... :3d_frown:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The TEMS system takes inputs from four sensors to determin what setting to use.

1. TPS- used for anit-squat
2. Brake sensor-used for anti-dive(speed sensor also plays a roll in this)
3. Steering angle sensor-used for anti-roll(speed sensor also plays a roll in this)
4. Speed sensor-used for the high speed firm.