Tech Tip 7MGTE: Repair your CPS connector for free

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
One of my pet peeves is when the CPS connector does not properly mount on the CPS.

More often then not, the connector is floating around, eventually causing starting issues because the wires are brittle and there is nothing to hold them in place. The wire will crack and there you have a no start condition. So you have to run out to the car, wiggle the wires, and hope it starts.

Quite a few people have replaced the whole CPS just for this reason (including myself in years past).

However, there is a quick trick you can do to fix the mounting problem, and it is all free.

It turns out the igniter has the same plastic connector. However, it does not need to mount to anything.

So you can swap the 2 plastic pieces and be back in business.

Step 1, broken mount:

p1499853_1.jpg

Step 2, igniter has a nice mount (7mge shown):

p1499853_2.jpg

Step 3, carefully depin the connectors to each without disrupting the order of the wires:

p1499853_3.jpg

Step 4, swap them:
p1499853_4.jpg

Step 5, enjoy a working harness mount on the CPS, all is well again:

p1499853_5.jpg

The igniter will be fine with the other connector, because it doesn't use a mount anyway. So just get it clipped back in and you are done.

However, if you do not want to play with your igniter, you can easily find a 7mge igniter at the junkyard. You can simply cut both ends of the connector off and have yourself a nice CPS connector repair kit for $1-2. In fact most junkyards will not charge you for that piece if that is all you come out with.

If you decide to repair your cps wires using 7mge igniter wiring, here is the color pattern:

Igniter / CPS color

yellow - green
brown - red
white - yellow
pink - white

I have a couple of CPS units with no harness connector at all. So next time I will post further about repairing it using an igniter connector.