Have you ever been tased???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well guys most of you may know I am in the law enforcement academy, should be graduating mid november assuming all goes well, we are in week 9 of the training, finished firearms qual last week and we basically have been doing search and investigative skills and we still have driving and hand to hand left to do as well as Asp training and basic first aid / 1st responder training and the ever popular police driving and maintenance.

Today we did our 8 hour course for Taser certification which included a 4 hour lecture and poower point, 2 hours of video and 2 hours of firing the taser, reloading, drive stunning and finally they allowed anyone in class that wanted to be tased or "take the ride" as they say to do so. We have 19 people in my class, 4 females the rest are males. Myself and 6 other guys volunteered and 1 female, former coworker of mine whose 33 and still hot lol volunteered. Three others did too but then they backed out after watching the first few tasings, so total we had 9 of us do it out of the 19, I was the 4th person to have it done.

I am sure I'll end up tased again depending on what department I get hired on with but I decided to do it for several reasons, one I was curious about it since we saw all the videos and did the firing and read the science I wanted to feel it first hand, secondly I wanted to do it since half the class pussed out, and third I figure itll make the second one that much easier since the anxiety of not knowing is gone.

To answer the obvious question, YES it did in fact hurt pretty bad, however it ends when the device is stopped or finishes its automated cycle. Stuff like oc, pepper spray and Asp batons can be felt hours even days later, and they are a pain when it comes to decontamination, they can also cause problems with people with asthma. That's a big reason tasers are so nice, they basically cannot seriously injure you, they have been tested on people with heart trouble, pacemakers, etc etc. Very good life saving tool in the sense that you can use it to stop someone who normally would have been shot or maybe at least injured through use of impact weapons or sparys.

It's hard to describe the feeling of it, it is odd the first second you can't move you just tighten up and sometimes flail around or punch, kick spasm, roll around etc, then the pain kicks in, its not a pain I've expirienced before, I can't compare it to anything but suffice it to say it'll make even the biggest person grunt groan, cuss and some cases scream (our 6'3 280 lbs guy screamed like a lil girl, the smaller people cussed and grunted but nothing too dramatic). When it's over the probes can hurt some coming out, there are marks that look similar to mosquito bites or something similar. I'm glad I did it, just kinda unique and makes you that much more confident in the tool you're going to be using on people.

So now that I got this class knocked out I got my certification for taser equipment and also certified for the Taser brand model M26 and the newer more badass X26, the x26 is what was used on us today, it has a higher pulse rate and is a bit "hotter" as they say. I'll post some pics below, I'm sure you've seen them before, maybe even been zapped ;) there are videos that were taken today so when I get copies I'll see if I can post them up, theres a good one of misty being punched while she was tased by one of the classmates who just happened to spasm a couple nice right hooks LOL.

Model X-26 Advanced Taser (newer model)
p1138708_1.bmp

Modem M-26 Taser (Older less efficient but still does the job)
p1138708_2.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm gonna have to argue that they aren't "safe" but like all less-than-lethal weapons they have a chance of killing.

My friend is a cop and had to get peppersprayed and tazed, and he said the pepperspray was worse as the taser is like a massive body cramp but doesn't last long compared to the spray effects.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
They gave us the choice of whether to get the clips, or the barbs. I chose the barbs. If you don't take the barbs, you can't sit at my table.

Give me the pepper spray any day over the taser. You can fight through the spray.

boosted1jz

in reconstruction
May 9, 2005
alpharetta ga
www.cardomain.com
i of my gf's friends became an officer a year ago, he showed us the vid from when his unit was getting tazed.... all i can say is LOLz!!!!! the things they scream while getting tazed is GD hilarious!!!!

anyways, id like to get hit by 1 just to see how it feels, they say its 1 of the worst pains in the world

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The cops up here killed an innocent guy in the airport with a tazer. Started a huge shitstorm, and now the government is talking about taking them away from the police. Too many folks assume they are non-deadly force, and safe to use.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Guy was tasered while on the edge of a roof, man fell and died... It's all over the news.

It's not the product, it's the idiots using it...

No offense Wills7MGTE

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Massive jolts of voltage to your body is going to have the ability to cause some damage.

Just not as much damage as a .45 to the chest would do. Personally, I agree that the weapon is getting a bad reputation due to misuse.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/334749_tasers09.html

In the review of 962 reported cases of people jolted with electrical conducted energy weapons, 99.7 percent had no injuries or had minor ones such as scrapes and bruises that did not require hospitalization.

Two subjects in the study died, but autopsies found that neither death was related to use of a Taser.

Of the three who were admitted to hospitals, two had injuries from falling after receiving the 50,000-volt blasts, which continue for several seconds, and the third was hospitalized two days after being jolted with a condition of uncertain relationship to being jolted, according to the findings.

Statistically, tasers are no more dangerous than bee stings.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well nothing is 100% safe, some people can die from having sexual intercourse because they have a defective cardio vascular system or it's just thier time.

The taser is probably as close to safe as any "less than lethal" weapon can be. The "deaths" from tasers aren't really from the taser, most cases are just stimulants for things already going on, almost all the cases of sudden death syndrome attributed to a taser in the media was found to be involving people with things such as chronic amphetamine addiction, severe asthma, extreme duress combined with the use of an amphetamine or other stimulant.

I'm a diabetic and I took it, they have dont it to people who had heart problems and other diseases. They reccommend you not do it to pregnant women as they may fall and be injured through the fall, however pregnant pigs were used and there was no damage to any of the fetuses involved in that test, I am not sure if humans were ever tested.

This thread isn't met to be a debate, but I guess I should have seen it coming LOL.

Misuse of anything can be deadly, look at alcoholics and the DWI statistics, or people who decide hey lets take safety features off of our lawnmower.

I think that there are a good number of people who have no business in law enforcement, you can blame the media for that, crap like CSI, the Shield, and COPs has inspired a lot of deeply disturbed, immature or just ignorant people to get into law enforcement, thats part of why so many people hate cops or claim to anyway.

An officer who uses something like a taser in good faith that it shouldnt injure or kill the suspect shouldn't be held liable if the person happens to have use meth for the last 10 years and is basically on the cusp of death even before he is tased. There are lots of myths on the taser out there you really need to read medical studies and legal case law to make an informed decision.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
In reference to the taser use on the guy with the roof, that again is a poor decision on the officers part, thats similar to taking a headshot and missing and hitting the hostage, horrible plan before he ever drew the taser but under stress sometimes judgement is poorer than it would be otherwise, that however is not an excuse.

They even taught us in the class, do NOT use it if there is risk of a fall or risk of any other type of injury because the person is going to drop and not have any way to support themselves or break the fall.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I will basically sum it up, they are not 100% safe, however if you use it exactly as it was intended by the manufacturer and the policy of the agency issuing it then it's as close to safe as you can ever get, some people out there are physically weak or defective, if they happen to commit a crime and then fight or refuse compliance to lawful requests and end up tased then hey its a honest to god accident. Cases like that are rare, the cases that ruin it are misuse issues that give media more to chew up and then the myths out there that confuse people.

Anyway just wanted to share my expirience, it really isn't as bad as your mind makes you think it is going to be, I was laughing after it was over because I was so afriad to try it but I did it and it wasn't anywhere near what you think it will be going in. I'm not a badass, Im not built like a fighter and I don't enjoy pain but I did it and I am perfectly fine and I even have a chronic illness (Diabetes) so I don't think its a big deal for anyone on this forum anyway ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad. And they sure as hell are safer than getting shot.

What I'm saying is that there is this perception that they are safe - and this leads to them being used *far* more often than firearms. If you are using them to replace a deadly weapon, fine - but what I'm seeing is that they are being used more like a nightstick, and justified as being not as deadly as a firearm. The two applications just are not comparable.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
tase!!!

we made up a shot we called the tazer. squirt a lemon slice into your eye , drink a shot of rumplemintz , and then stick a 9v battery on your tongue

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I agree with your statement they are perceived as completely safe by a lot of officers, the part I lose you is as replacement for batons, if you're not familiar with use of force I'll give you the levels at least for missouri as thats where I am being certified and trained, most states use the same exact use of force levels.

1. Prescence (just showing up is considered first level of force)

2. verbal requests / commands

3. Empty Hands (also called pain compliance via pressure points and holds, grabs, etc. Hand to hand and unsafe if a fight ensues, for both officer and suspect).

4. Less than lethal (This level includes OC, Pepper spray, Taser, and a couple others that I can't remember since they aren't used a lot)

5. Impact tools (Baton, Asp, PR24, in cases of dire emergency with no other impact tool avaible then mag lights and other tools of illumination may be used in some extreme cases)

6. Deadly Force (Sidearm, shotgun, or patrol rifle)

As you can see by this legally mandated force level system, the taser is considered at the same level as pepper spray / oc and comes well before batons or deadly force, a baton or asp can be misused much more easily and with deadly consequences.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The fun part that I like about tasers is that the bigger and badder the person is, the more he's fucked as it uses his muscles against him. Doesn't matter how agressive he is, he can't fight through it, his body no longer belongs to him.

Like I mentioned, use of the taser that is causing death or harm is because of bad judgement in most cases. I think my main issue is the companies trying to sell them off as harmless and can be used on anybody...

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
i got if after a neighbor that is a JSO officer (Jacksonville Sheriff Office) was telling me about them in a neighborhood watch get together and i asked if it really hurt. Well after bugging him, and a few other people bugging him also, he said he would show me how much it hurt. With permission of LT. Edwards of JSO that was present he showed me. Yeah it hurt, but in a good way? lol

Edit: I'm a freak anyways

Last edited:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Wills7MGTE;1139520 said:
if you're not familiar with use of force I'll give you the levels

You forgot #7. :icon_razz Knowing that you can go up or down the ladder, and you may skip a step if necessary.