Targa Top leak

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
Hi! I'm totally newbie to Supra MKIII. I have a targa top leak problem on driver side. I asked my friend. He said that even if I go buy the new seals from Toyota dealer, it will not fix the problem completely. Is it true or not? or is there any tricks that you have to do with the new seals? Thanks!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seals aren't the issue (but you have to pull em off anyway, might as well replace). The drip rails are. You have the targa, the drip rail, and then the seal. Water runs off the targa into the drip rail and if everything is right it will run off. What happens is the seal between the drip rail and the targa goes and then instead of running off, it goes inside, fills up the plastic finish piece (that's also part of the drip rail) and then dumps it on your lap the first time you stop.

Gotta remove the driprails, clean everything right, and reseal them. The stuff the factory uses is more like weatherstrip adhesive than silicone, but I used silicone.

DO NOT use any adhesive on the seals. They just pop into the channels.

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
Poodles;1429566 said:
Seals aren't the issue (but you have to pull em off anyway, might as well replace). The drip rails are. You have the targa, the drip rail, and then the seal. Water runs off the targa into the drip rail and if everything is right it will run off. What happens is the seal between the drip rail and the targa goes and then instead of running off, it goes inside, fills up the plastic finish piece (that's also part of the drip rail) and then dumps it on your lap the first time you stop.

Gotta remove the driprails, clean everything right, and reseal them. The stuff the factory uses is more like weatherstrip adhesive than silicone, but I used silicone.

DO NOT use any adhesive on the seals. They just pop into the channels.
Thank you so much guys!!!

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I need some clarification...

I've got new targa seals and I'm going to replace them this weekend. So as I understand it, I should not use any kind of sealant on the targa seals themselves (the rubber part).

So if I take apart the drip rail (the plastic pieces), I should use some kind of sealant when putting those back in place?

Poodles - I see you say you're using silicone. I'm a newb when it comes to hardware stores. What should I ask for? Silicone sealant?

I've got some of the red stuff by "gasket maker" which is silicone. Would that work or am I just hoping for too much here?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I used the 3M weather sealant adhesive that comes in an orange box and it SUX! It's commonly found in the auto parts stores and I used it before, while in Florida and it worked great on my now-gone 87T.

However, the same stuff which I bought here in TX, still has the tops leaking in our MK3 and MK4. I've even done them both twice (replaced the seals the 1st time, so I know it's not them).

they may have changed the forumla or something, but just letting you know to stay away from it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I used the black silicone stuff that's made for window installs...still leaks, but I think it's cause the job was a bit of a rush... I had already spent the entire day trying to get the silicone out of the tracks that hold the seals because of the numbnuts previous owner siliconed em in (yep, still leaked) and I was spent and had to work the next day...