takeing out oil pan???????

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Im clueless i have a wierd sound comming from my motor and a broken motor mount. The sound sounds more like a ratle than a knock the motor has around 2000 miles on it since complete rebuild. When i was under the car listening to the noise i put my hand on the oil pan and i felt somethin so i decided i was gonna pull the oil pan well i got everything lose and the motor raised up to find out i cant get the oil pan out any one have any sujestions?????

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
you most likely have rod knock.... the oil pan needs a few inches of clearance, so you will have to undo the motor mounts and tranny mount and jack up the tranny so you will have room

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
its not consistant like a knock and u wouldnt feal a knock like what i felt on the oil pan. Ive dont both of those and i still cant get it out. Do turbo bodies have diffrent crossmembers because i have an na car with a gte in it.

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
thebadz32;1191175 said:
Im clueless i have a wierd sound comming from my motor and a broken motor mount. The sound sounds more like a ratle than a knock the motor has around 2000 miles on it since complete rebuild. When i was under the car listening to the noise i put my hand on the oil pan and i felt somethin so i decided i was gonna pull the oil pan well i got everything lose and the motor raised up to find out i cant get the oil pan out any one have any sujestions?????
it might be as little as the underdrive pully bolt comin loose. i know it sounds stupid but when i had that sound in my car, everyone that i talked 2 said it was rod knock but i saw the underdrive pully was mad off balance so i out my car and gear put the ebrake on took a 19mm, a breaker bar and a long ass pipe and tightned it by hand till i could get it to the shop lol

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
supra_holic2002;1191353 said:
it might be as little as the underdrive pully bolt comin loose. i know it sounds stupid but when i had that sound in my car, everyone that i talked 2 said it was rod knock but i saw the underdrive pully was mad off balance so i out my car and gear put the ebrake on took a 19mm, a breaker bar and a long ass pipe and tightned it by hand till i could get it to the shop lol

Underdrive pulley? Are you talking about the harmonic balancer/crank pulley? This pulley has a proper torque spec which would be 195ft/lbs.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
if you can actually feel a knock on the pan and its NOT from the BROKEN motor mount or something else, dropping the pan while its on the car is not going to do you any good.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
well i just rebuilt the motor and the baffel in the oil pan had been taken out and re welded back in but the welds were shitty and i think one of the welds may have came loose and that has moved around. Also i found a small dent in the oil pan around the oil pump so i think somethin is just rubbing on the oil pan. I dont wanna pull the motor because if it is a rod knock im sellin the car anyways and getting out of the game so hopefully its somethn simple that a new oil pan will fix.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra_holic2002;1191353 said:

supra_holic2002;1192004 said:
im talkin bout the underdrive crank pulley, the one with all the belts on it. it worked for me. hvyman has a good point also

Get your terminology correct. It's a harmonic dampener, crank pulley, harmonic balancer. etc... <--- any of those are accepted

An underdrive crank pulley is completely different, and the original poster said nothing of the sort.