tail light conversion

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No, its fairly easy. Remove old tails and center trim panel, insert new tails and trim panel (new tail light gaskets recomended). Swap out trim for effect as they sometimes look odd together.

You will need a 8mm deep well for the taillight nuts.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
pre-89 to 89+ locks in the center section don't switch over.

I just use my hatch release and put a grommit in the hole lol

Sam

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I kept the pre 89 lock by bending the bracket...too bad I found out the lock didn't work (I swapped tails a few hours after buying the car, so I didn't check it first)

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Kept my pre 89 lock as well. Forgot what I did to hold it in place though, lol. I think I just jammed it in there real tight. But its holding up fine.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
You might need to widen a couple of holes on the outside of the taillights. You should also swap to an 89+ lock cylinder. They mount up differently than pre-89, so you'll need to mark and drill holes for the mounting tabs. For the lower trim on the center piece, you'll either need to drill a couple of holes through the body so that the studs dont interfere with the body. I personally cut them down so that it all sits flush, but that's up to you.

I bought my lock cylinder, taillight gaskets, and misc mounting nuts from Toyota. Subtotal is probably about 150-160 for all that. I say probably because I got mine for about 140 with tax, but I have a discount...