T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
bountykilla0118;1505304 said:
Really? Like who?

Plenty! But in all fairness...ss is a family run business and alot of misfortunate events have taken place within their family......it's non of my business but believe me, if any of you had a heart you'd understand...once everything over there calms down and stuff I'd def buy from them again!

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Thanks for the info. I had a T4 manifold and Wastegate that I sold in the fall. I originally planed on going T4, I just don't want to invest in MAFPRO (already have AEM UEGO, Tru-boost, a Zeitronix for data logging, and an SAFC II). T4 would just be too much I guess.

This turbo does look very appealing. Not sure if it has already been discussed or if it is common knowledge, but what are the disadvantages (or advantages if any) of running a turbo that is solely oil cooled vs. oil and water like the CT-26?

Thanks for the help!

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
teedoff00;1505476 said:
Thanks for the info. I had a T4 manifold and Wastegate that I sold in the fall. I originally planed on going T4, I just don't want to invest in MAFPRO (already have AEM UEGO, Tru-boost, a Zeitronix for data logging, and an SAFC II). T4 would just be too much I guess.

This turbo does look very appealing. Not sure if it has already been discussed or if it is common knowledge, but what are the disadvantages (or advantages if any) of running a turbo that is solely oil cooled vs. oil and water like the CT-26?

Thanks for the help!

there sure is 1 very simple disadvantage in just oil cooled turbos: the oil gets fking hot, because of the xtra stress. You dont want that. Get away from ebay turbos, in the end you´ll regret it. Longevity and Performancewise, + it can destroy your engine. put down 1k and get a Garrett :)

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
thats why some people has a turbo timer to cool down the turbo and yea it does gives more heat with out water but at least with a timer its another plus

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Persona;1518270 said:
there sure is 1 very simple disadvantage in just oil cooled turbos: the oil gets fking hot, because of the xtra stress. You dont want that. Get away from ebay turbos, in the end you´ll regret it. Longevity and Performancewise, + it can destroy your engine. put down 1k and get a Garrett :)

Wrong, it was to prevent coking of the oil. Modern oils won't coke as easily. Same for the turbo timers. If anything, it would cause the turbo to be damaged, NOT the engine.

speedgilligan

UL Mechanical Engineering
Jul 2, 2009
Louisville, KY
turbo timers really arent the bees knees when it comes to helping you out....why dont you save $100 and sit in your car for 30 seconds before you shut it off? thats what I do even with a stock CT

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Or just don't get into boost the last few minutes or minute of your drive. In other words, drive like a grandma before you shut the car down.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i agree with WhyMA71,

From what i can tell it "felt" like the oil was getting quite warm ( i could be wrong ), ie on really hot days (ambient temp around 40-43deg C) the cams on the shims would become louder on idle, my car had the oil cooler removed, i installed a engine oil cooler and have not had the same behaviour, I've heard what out of spec shims sound like and this wasn't it. i run a 10w-30 full mineral oil (penzoil)

little update, ive got my new ECU installed, waiting on injectors & fuel pump then its off to the tuners for some higher boost.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Well just think how hot the turbo gets ...... an stock oil cooler is needed, but different setup would be better. Get a temp based setup instead of a pressure based one(like the stock setup). I would like to see how a full flow setup works during the summer months.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1530694 said:
HURRY! lol

You put many miles on it yet?

ummm 5000km on the turbo if that helps 7500km on the motor, cbf converting to miles, showing no signs of failure currently, no strange sounds etc etc.
took it for a drive on my shonky base tune (limp to the tuners tune, boost cut set at 0.5psi, rpm limit to 4000) its drivable best of all TCCS is where it belongs.. not in the supra! :). fuel pump goes in this weekend and it'll be on the dyno in 2 weeks depending if i can get the cash together for the tuner. these things take time but i will live up to my promise and post up a dyno graph don't worry!

im going to aim for 18-20psi (or what ever i can do safishly/clutch will hold) see what the tuner reckons and what happens, ie if anything fails.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
What clutch are you running, a stock clutch? If so and its not new don’t waste your time trying to make more than 300rwhp typically the stock one is good at 350rwhp new but I personally seen my stock clutch start to go at 14psi on a stock ct26 and I had dyno'ed low 300's hp and high 300's tq. I have been running a stock pressure plate, resurfaced fly wheel and a 6puck disc for 2 years. Some people say my setup isn’t good enough but the guy who built the disk and owns a clutch shop for dump trucks, gave me his professional guess and he figures that my setup hold 30-45% over stock so on paper I should be good up to 450tq. I have 61mm boss turbo and it holds very well at 18psi but I haven’t been to the dyno but I will say I am making in the 400rwhp.

I can get a 6 puck for $100

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I run a Exedy HD Button clutch, exedy pressure plate balanced with crank,rods,pistons during machining/assembly of the motor (new clutch disc/plate with rebuild) resurfaced flywheel, new throwout bearing/spigot bearing/seals etc etc

I'm still worrying about it holding over 400rwhp despite the fact the exedy dealer told me it would, because i've seen no facts on this clutch so its PURELY a guess, hence why i'm not sure it will hold. one way to find out.

Reason I'm skeptical is because my friend had a similar clutch slip round the 400rwhp mark.

by the way, this threads about the CX racing T61 and at the end of the day i could guess my car makes 500rwhp, doesn't mean it does....ill post up the facts when I've obtained them :)

UPDATE: Booked dyno time for the 21st of april :) if all goes to plan i should have a dyno graph in about a month.

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1538337 said:
April 21? Unacceptable. Move it up :)

want to sponsor my dyno time? looking more like 24th now (weekend, because i work mon-fri)

UPDATE: booking confirmed for the 21st of april, pick up 22nd. im hoping to get it tuned for all the map the internal 2.5bar sensor can read. 3 weeks time and i will have a result, im hoping i have no other issues (like clutch, fuel supply ignition etc)

ill post a power run graph up when done.

Here are my mods

Fully rebuilt 7mgte
Arp main cap bolts & rodbolts
new cast pistons
shot peen'd stock rods
balanced incl flywheel & pressure plate
BC valve springs
3 angle valve grind
cometic MLS headgasket & arp studs
exedy HD button clutch
drilled out Jpipe
835cc injectors
walbro 255LPH fuel pump
3" turbo back exhaust with 1 straight through muffler
600x300x100 FMIC
Haltech E6X Standalone ECU
2.5bar map sensor (inbuilt)
and obviously the T61 turbo listed here

Should have the goods for some respectable power and give a good indication for other people wanting to follow this path

UPDATE: just over a week to go :) cars driving nicely on the haltech, ive been working on the base tune and the last few issues ive had, it hasn't seen boost yet and it wont till i hand the keys to the tuner, All thats left to fix is the dash temp gauge and oil pressure gauge!

It's getting tuned on a Dynapac as well not a roller dyno.

Last edited: