Synthetic oil?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
jdub;1884455 said:
That's one of the misconceptions about oil - a 5W-30 is only thinner than a 10W-30 at cold start temps. At ops temp (100 deg C), the viscosity is virtually identical...you have to look at the data sheets to be sure though. For the Castrol Edge products, they are....you can easily run the 5W-30 year round and the cold start viscosity will be better for the engine in the summer months as well.

Yes, there's no exact measurement of similarity really between oil types, even within the same brand. For instance, the Royal Purple 10w30 at temp is thinner than 5w30. Not sure if that's still the case, but the older sheets/analyzation indicated it

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Orion ZyGarian;1884534 said:
Yes, there's no exact measurement of similarity really between oil types, even within the same brand. For instance, the Royal Purple 10w30 at temp is thinner than 5w30. Not sure if that's still the case, but the older sheets/analyzation indicated it

RP 5W-30 40 deg C = 65.3 cst 100 deg C = 11.0 cst
RP 10W-30 40 deg C = 70.3 cst 100 deg C = 10.7 cst

The hot viscosity is very close between the two...the difference is insignificant but, the 10W-30 is very slightly thinner at ops temp. There is enough difference cold to justify using the 5W-30.

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
I really like mobil 1 0w40 Euro Spec. Thats what I'm running now but I will be switching over to Rotella t6 5w40.

T6 is a great oil, you can google it and read some about on bobistheoilguy forums, great UOA and VOA on both oils IMO.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Only issue I have with Mobil 1 has always been that they're not a true synthetic but they charge synthetic prices. There's simply better oils for the money.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles;1889084 said:
Only issue I have with Mobil 1 has always been that they're not a true synthetic but they charge synthetic prices. There's simply better oils for the money.

Not to mention the evasive marketing BS...if not flat out lying about Mobil 1's base stock...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jdub;1889086 said:
Not to mention the evasive marketing BS...if not flat out lying about Mobil 1's base stock...
I take it this is an ethical issue rather than something they could get in legal trouble over?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1889384 said:
I take it this is an ethical issue rather than something they could get in legal trouble over?

They pushed to get hydrocracked oil classified as "synthetic." Legally they're fine, but ethically they're lying.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
te72;1889384 said:

And, what's really interesting is Exxon sued Castrol for calling it's oils "synthetic" when they started using hydrocracked base stocks and Exxon was still using PAO. The result of that suit is oils using "synthetic technology" (i.e. heavily hyrdocracked) base stocks were allowed to use the term "synthetic" when marketing oil. Most companies come straight out and tell you their base stocks are hydrocracked Grp III...Exxon made the switch a few years later and told no one. In fact, they downright concealed the switch using a bunch of doubletalk BS...only in the last year or so have they said what they use and you have to dig to find that out!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
phatbimmer;1889616 said:
from what I've read is Castrol 0w30 a.k.a GC is fully synthetic pao or ester not sure but thats out there for peeps. Again only mobil 1 oil grade i use is 0w40 Euro Spec, read up on bobistheoilguy forums as to why, tons of info about that and many oils.

Heres what I use in the supra
a. Mobil 1 0w40 Euro Spec
b. Shell Rotella T6 5w40

Either one of those but I will be switching to T6 from now on, hell I even use that in my 94 corolla and it burns less oil and runs great.

c. Castrol Edge 0w30

Use it in my sisters 01 highlander v6, great stuff love it.

We heard you the 1st time ;)
A LOT of people have been using GC in their Supra (including me) for a very long time...way more info is posted in this section than you would ever find on bobistheoilguy forums. You're pretty new here...sorry, but it's old news ;)

You will also find that I moderate this section and insist on using facts, data, etc...and, cite sources as to why an oil is good or not so good. Reading through this thread, you'll see that while Mobil 1 is a decent oil, there are others better for the $$$. And, you don't have to deal with a company that is infested with a bunch of greedy, lying lowlifes. I agree that T6 is a great oil and has it's uses in the Supra motors, but you fail to mention why in your posts. "Why" would mean that you have looked at data sheets, interpreted them correctly, came up with reasoning to use it in your motor...a comparison to the gold standard (GC) would help support your post.

So far, all we get is "read up on bobistheoilguy forums". Sorry, but that doesn't hack it here...if you don't have anymore to offer, don't post. It's also the reason myself and others are pretty much ignoring what you have to say.

Suggest you read through this section...I would start with the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig....

tonyphip

Mar 8, 2012
minnesota
rotella 15 40 is what i use. it has a very high zink content wich is good for turbo longevity. thats why semi trucks use it

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
phatbimmer;1894700 said:
woops it seems i posted on this twice, didn't mean to do it, i thought i posted on 2 different oil threads. No need to get your jimmies all rustled up.

No one is all "russled up" here - just don't post old news and opinion as fact and we'll get along just fine ;)
(phatbimmer deleted the original post - take a look at post #29 for reference)