Synapse BOV

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Wow have you guys seen this new BOV? It uses only air pressure to control the relief side of it. I watched the youtube that the company did and it shows the internal workings and just exactly how it works. There is also a vid of it on a Evo. They also have a anti stall valve for it that prevents those that have their BOV vented to the atmosphere from stalling the motor. Very impressive and I found it for $195 at clubrsx. I think I am going to have to get one of these sweet things. I no longer have to worry about the spring tension anymore. Do a google search for it for more info

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think you should do a little more ersearch on it myself.

You'll find that every "amazing" or "good" review of the product is by them themselves, an employee of theirs or close personal friend.

I also find that they massively mislead their potential customers by giving outright false information. For example "You can tell the BOV is working with greater efficiency since it is flowing air while the car is even at idle."

This is not a good thing!

They also very innacurrately demonstrate a Tial BOV exhibiting surge, while they show that there's does not. Yet ifyou check the Tial webpage they specifically show customers how to adjust the BOV so that it does NOT surge like it does in the Synapse video.

Also read the comments section of the youtube channel from them and you will get countless other examples from the discussion about this "Amazing" BOV.

Maybe it is an ok product but their consistent and inaccurate portrayal of their product up against others is nothing short of shadey. I also find their information to be misleading.

Research it first. If you do get one be sure to tell us your results and impressions of it.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
See once again I learn more. LOL It is a neat theory but I would hate to spend that much money only for it to be a piece of junk. Thanks for the info, I will have to do more research.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
I like turbosmart.

And yep. If you search Synapse you can see me ranting about how they lie about the tial in their videos from 2007. lol

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Poodles;1477453 said:
Doesn't mean it's not a good BOV ;)

Seems to have good reviews around here, I just think it's HUGE and a bit ugly...

Yes, but a genuinely good product can stand on it's own merits. Without resorting to the need to mislead you about other products and/or completely lie, IMO.

I would love to hear from an actual synapse owner here whom is also a well known respected member of our community.

Also, how can they show something such as this......

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=synaptic1#p/u/24/B_RWZASfE3M

What the hell does "the turbo is efficient enough, that even at idle the BOV is discharging air all the time"

He further continues that from idle all the way up to freeway speed the BOV is always discharging air. This is a boost leak is it not. Also, if the BOV is always discharging air (boost leak) no wonder it is surging less. This would be because the damn thing is already open to begin with and wasting air (boost) that the motor could be using to create power. This constant "efficiency" leak could also lead to other also undesirable results such as over spinning. The turbo is also working way harder to achieve the same level of boost because it has to overcome this massive hole in your charge piping.

So the BOV that has been installed to help prevent damage is making your turbo work harder and is also exposing it to other potential dangers it should not be.

This is the way I understand the purpose of the system and the way he is describing the function of the product in question.

If I am dead wrong or way off here, please someone post a credible and reasonable response so I can learn and correct my misconception.

(Idiots, name callers and those whom simple wish to put down others who do not know yet need not comment thanks, GV. We know you were simply born with perfect knowledge in all areas of everything. Unfortunately some of us have to actually learn our knowledgebase as we go.)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm dumber for having watched that video (and read the comments defending it)...

I agree, that's screwed up as hell, and definately shouldn't be setup that way.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "concern" would be with how active it is and that it relies on closely machined tolerences that evventually it has to wear out and become ineffective, I'd like to see some reports from people that have actually used the valve for a year or more.

I remember their "get a set of steak knives that will cut shoes" style advertising from a couple of years back and being turned off.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, got hammered here in Fort Worth. Dallas didn't get much of anything compared to us.

Back to the thread, it almost seems that the video of it open at idle was to show that it blows OUT and doesn't suck in so a filter isn't needed, but it's still wrong...

dejacky

Jun 12, 2005
"taxus"
I've been using this BOV on my turbo 2JZ for over a year. It drastically lowered the surge I was getting with the HKS SSQV and I'm sure it will eliminate it once I adjust the preload of the Synapse more. Also, with the synapse bov (used with filter...map configuration), the engine revved quicker and much more effortlessly since the BOV is open during vacuum. Overall, it's the best BOV I've used and it works great.

My only gripe is it's huge :biglaugh:.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
The synapse works very well it got rid of the compressor surge that my friend Albert has on here on his 67 trim 1j. He has the hks ssqv 2 and it didnt stop the surge as it would not vent at low boost. With the synapse it closes as soon as you touch the throttle and it relieves pressure very well when you build boost on partial throttle. I could see it being an issue though on the AFM setups. Overall though I think its a great product as there isnt any surge and if you want a super quiet BOV it is very good at that. Just my opinion.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
It almosts seems like I want to try it but unwilling to fork out the 190 bones. Everybody keeps saying that it is HUGE. Just what kind of measurements are you getting on it? It doesn't look that big

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I had it on my supra for a bit. Since I'm mostly stock it stalled quite a bit after heavy boost. The quality of the unit is very good, but for my boost (10-11psi & stock ECU) the bosch was a better choice. I'll never vent to atmosphere again, unless running a maf pro or similar device.

cwd

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
like all moving parts things will wear and need repair. I think its a nice piece and eventually there will probably be a small rebuild kit for it if not its all billet aluminum. You can just remake the pc needed. I would buy one if i didnt have a bov already.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I think the only thing that will wear out would be the o-ring that is inside it. As long as there is lube inside it (He said lube LOL) it should not wear out. That is just my way of thinking, and I am sure they can sell you a new o-ring kit if needed.