symptoms of crank walk on 1jz???

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
te72;1701833 said:
I call BS on that... they don't make cars with clutches anymore ya goof. :aigo:

You can still get a lot of cars with a manual gear box. A coworker just got a camry with a six speed.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Depends on how bad it gets. But generally its better to just start fresh. Once you are past the amount of clearance its not worth it and that will happen quick.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1701909 said:
You can still get a lot of cars with a manual gear box. A coworker just got a camry with a six speed.

Was merely joking man, but I didn't realize you could still buy Camry's with manuals, *that* I didn't know. Just seems like it's becoming lost to the newer cars in general. :(

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
So it would be better/safer to just get a diffrent bottom end and rebuild that, wether it be a 2j or 1j?

Anyone have a good source for a bottom end?

Thanks fellas!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Junkyard for a 2jzge.

Or else just start trowling all the forums for a used 1j block. Or craigslist.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It will be about 250. It is your call. If I were you, find a 2JZ bottom, and build it or pull yours out and put a set of rings and bearings in. It is a weeks work and will save a lot of money.

Bearings with thrust washers
Silicone
Timing belt service

The first two are needed to fix your problem but the timing is not needed. You should do an ARP upgrade while in there or at least put new rod bolts.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
IBoughtASupra;1703667 said:
It will be about 250. It is your call. If I were you, find a 2JZ bottom, and build it or pull yours out and put a set of rings and bearings in. It is a weeks work and will save a lot of money.

Bearings with thrust washers
Silicone
Timing belt service

The first two are needed to fix your problem but the timing is not needed. You should do an ARP upgrade while in there or at least put new rod bolts.

Saving would be good right now, just opened a new business and I was wanting to go with a single this summer.

If I do rebuild my bottom end, were is a good place to buy bearings with thrust washers? Should I get the clevite bearing set from driftmotion?

I have a full list of other stuff from driftmotion to get, total bill came out to $750.

Then after the engine is broke in I can get the 60-1 kit.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Order from DM and get the ARP while you are at it or at least new Toyota bolts. It won't take long.

You will also need new o rings for the oil pump and gasket for the pick up tube. Curt from Champion can get you those. Just open a quote thread on SupraForums.

armyboot

Nov 16, 2008
canada
I finally opened up my 1j to prove to myself if I had crankwalked. I did indeed crankwalked.

The thrust washers, all 4 where in the oil pan. 2 of the 4 washers were badly damaged. The holding tab tore off and were wore down to tin.

The damper wore into the 1j'z plastic timing belt cover.

The symptoms:
werid vibration in the clutch peddle.
sounds like the starter strugles to start the engine.(clutch down)
If engine is running, I dropped rpm when I clutched. got worst over time, to the point where it would stall the engine.
As the engine got hotter, the engine would not allow the starter to spin fast enoght to start.
damper moves with clutch.

Anyways, I built a 2jzge block to replace it. meh

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Man, crankwalk? I haven't had to think about that since the old 4G63 talon days. I feel so sorry for you guys I take so for granted that I can take a 30min drive whenever I want and pick up my choice of 2JZ-GTE's.

Do not re-work a crankwalked crank, garbage get rid of it.

One question: why would one opt for a 1.5JZ rather than just the 2J. I mean you will still have to source the 1J oil pan and bellhousing, Your not saving any money. So what's that all about? I've heard the "because the cylinder head flows slightly better." I don't buy that. I mean you're opening it all up anyway. light port on a 2J should be good to 1000 hp.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Uh, don't you need a 1J rear facing sump for a 2JZ swap in a Mark3? And the 1Jz Bellhousing with a modded slave and fork for the r154? 2J's will mount to a getrag fine. but not an r154. am I terribly misinformed?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
honeydew;1707352 said:
Man, crankwalk? I haven't had to think about that since the old 4G63 talon days. I feel so sorry for you guys I take so for granted that I can take a 30min drive whenever I want and pick up my choice of 2JZ-GTE's.

Do not re-work a crankwalked crank, garbage get rid of it.

One question: why would one opt for a 1.5JZ rather than just the 2J. I mean you will still have to source the 1J oil pan and bellhousing, Your not saving any money. So what's that all about? I've heard the "because the cylinder head flows slightly better." I don't buy that. I mean you're opening it all up anyway. light port on a 2J should be good to 1000 hp.

it's done in order to retain any head-work that's been done, in addition to, salvaging a single turbo setup and wiring.

and the R154 mounts to any JZ motor just fine with no modification, just needs a 1J bellhousing.

the cylinder head flow thing was a myth to a certain degree.. there is an S-shaped casting in the 2J head that causes a little restriction IIRC, but it was always more about the items listed above.

armyboot

Nov 16, 2008
canada
honeydew;1707352 said:

cost for me. New built short block for under the cost of a used 2jzgte. Also it's already proven 2j head flow more then the 1j. But then these enginesare boosted, so flow number won't matter that much. It's the raised compression that will more then make up for head flow.