Sway Bar End Link Differences

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
How different are the front and rear end links? Does anyone know length differences and/or nut/shaft size differences?

Can you use front end links on the rear?

Not my usual type of question, but I know some people have made/sell other links, just looking for some specifics on the differences.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yeah the shaft sizes appear to be the same. I think the biggest concern is the overall length of the link.

There are some aftermarket sources that list the rear on the Supra as being the same as some other vehicles, but on the other vehicles the link listed is actually the same as the front on the Supra. This is why I am looking for this.

I'd like to run OEM metal end links in the rear, but Toyota only sells the plastic type, so I'd like to find something else that will work in the rear of the Supra. If the front ones will work in the rear, that is easy and simple. If not, I'd like to find something else that does.

I am not interested in running anything adjustable or with heim joints or anything weird like that. I just want new, non-plastic OEM-type rear end links. :)

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I suppose so, yes. I am more in need of the length of the rear, but having the front would probably be helpful as well (since I don't have the front ones in front of me at the moment and won't for a couple of days).

Thanks!

Jeff

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, apparently i'm a big fat liar, because i can't for the life of me find those damned links.
Sorry man.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, they won't swap. The angles are different (ends on the back are 180 degrees form eachother, the ones one the front are more like 90)

Keep in mind I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure that's the case based off the EPC diagrams as well.

Why are you asking Jeff?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I wouldn't want to deal with factory endlinks ever again. Obviously you can't just spin the nut on/off. You have to use the hex in the middle.. Which happened to strip out on almost all of my sway bar bolts. What I want to know is why Toyota didn't just put flats on the joint side of the sway bar so you could slip an open end wrench on it and be done with it..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Backlash2032;1918221 said:
I wouldn't want to deal with factory endlinks ever again. Obviously you can't just spin the nut on/off. You have to use the hex in the middle.. Which happened to strip out on almost all of my sway bar bolts. What I want to know is why Toyota didn't just put flats on the joint side of the sway bar so you could slip an open end wrench on it and be done with it..

Get a good set of allen wrenches, never had an issue ;)

Plus, they're not supposed to spin too easily, if they do, they're worn out. In fact, mazda uses similar endlinks and even has a test for them. If the torque needed to tur them is below a certain spec, they're replaced, same for the ball joints.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
As far as i know the pre89 models have metal rear end links if that's what you're looking for and yes IDK why Toyota used plastics for the 89+

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I read it was so it wouldn't break the sway bar end link mounting tab off the lower link.

Poodles;1918255 said:
Get a good set of allen wrenches, never had an issue ;)
I might just have to contact Snap-On to have them replace my Allen wrenches..

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Poodles;1918188 said:
No, they won't swap. The angles are different (ends on the back are 180 degrees form eachother, the ones one the front are more like 90)

Keep in mind I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure that's the case based off the EPC diagrams as well.

Why are you asking Jeff?

Your memory is wrong and the EPC diagram is sketchy at best. They are both 180 degrees from each other, front and rear. As for why I am asking, it is outlined above. I want to use Toyota end links in the rear that aren't plastic.

The TSRM has a more accurate diagram of the suspension:

FA_021.gif

RA_056.gif

Backlash2032;1918221 said:

The important thing is to make sure the threads are cleaned before trying to remove the nuts. If all else fails, you can hold the other side of the joint with vice grips or similar, but if things aren't seized up too much they can usually come off relatively easily. Having flat sided wouldn't be a bad way to go either I suppose.

akito;1918277 said:
As far as i know the pre89 models have metal rear end links if that's what you're looking for and yes IDK why Toyota used plastics for the 89+

86 to early 88 (Nov. 87 production) used metal end links, mid 88 (Nov. 87 production on) to 92 used plastic instead to avoid putting too much strain on the mounting tabs. My 88 has plastic links. Toyota changed up the metal links to the plastic ones years ago, plastic is all you can order now. :\

Jeff

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Good to know, so would it be alright to use the 86 to early 88 (Nov. 87 production) metal end links for the rest of the supra years? If so would that be what you want and I wonder if they still make the metal links or not.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Given that Jeff is the go-to Toyota parts guy up here in Alberta, I would say that it's unlikely that these can be sourced from the dealer if he's asking about it. Therefore the only end-links that can be bought for the rear are going to be the plastic ones, which he doesn't want. If, however, the front ones can be used, that would make a factory option to be able to have metal ones again.

Obviously there is an aftermarket solution, in the BIC parts, but what he wants is a factory part.

I'll be buying sway bars in the spring, at which time, I'd be able to check the parts side-by-side, but until it warms up, I'm not planning to spend a lot of time under my car.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
akito;1918361 said:
Good to know, so would it be alright to use the 86 to early 88 (Nov. 87 production) metal end links for the rest of the supra years? If so would that be what you want and I wonder if they still make the metal links or not.

Jeff Lange;1918053 said:
Toyota only sells the plastic type, so I'd like to find something else that will work in the rear of the Supra.

Jeff Lange;1918356 said:
Toyota changed up the metal links to the plastic ones years ago, plastic is all you can order now. :\

Worst case I will just check this myself, but I just wanted to have the parts ahead of time. If that doesn't happen I can deal with it then.

Jeff

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
my rear, 89 plastic endd links are roughly 10mm longer then the fronts. 125mm between the center of the bolts on rear, 114mm on the front.

The bic links look like they are length adjustable, one size should fit all after adjusted correctly. Maybe some one who has them can chime in.

Let me know what links you find that work though, rear suspension is coming apart in the next month and i'd like to go a similar route as you. Planning for larger sways...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sorry Jeff, was going from memory :)

If you're dead set on the sway bars being parallel to the ground, they won't swap. If the car is lowered they'd work, but you'd still have issues with the front.

I might take a look at the miata and see if they'll work...