Swapping a 89+ engine in a 89- body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootymeat

Banned
Nov 4, 2009
Bev Hills 90210
Couldn't find any information on this. I know the mounts are different, but are there any guides on wiring? Anyone ? :1zhelp:

Looking to swap a 7mgte 89+ Engine in a 1987 body. Thanks

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Bootymeat;1468422 said:
Couldn't find any information on this. I know the mounts are different, but are there any guides on wiring? Anyone ? :1zhelp:

Looking to swap a 7mgte 89+ Engine in a 1987 body. Thanks

SHould all be the same. Use your old harness. I know the tb is different. Just swap it over and you should be good to go. I think:biglaugh:

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
i just put a 89+turbo in a 86.5 body

87 car will be yellow plugged /////89+ will be grey plugged

Your harness will not work in a pre 89..
Which also mean you need a yellow plug ecu..

Almost forgot you need A HAC Sensor 89+ had it built into the ecu

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
S.A. supra;1468427 said:
SHould all be the same. Use your old harness. I know the tb is different. Just swap it over and you should be good to go. I think:biglaugh:

You really need to just stop talking!

Turbo requires a gte harness of the same year with ecu of same year....you'll need a 1987 turbo ecu and a 1987-88 wire harness (yellow plug)....you'll need to use your 1987 motor mounts as well....aswell as all the gte electronics....you will need a gte guage cluster as the ge tach is different and won't work...there is unlimited amounts of info on these type swaps on this forum so saying you can't find info is bullshit...

Look in this forum in the stickies and you'll find gte swap info!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
gaboonviper85;1468478 said:

Turbo requires a gte harness of the same year with ecu of same year....you'll need a 1987 turbo ecu and a 1987-88 wire harness (yellow plug)....you'll need to use your 1987 motor mounts as well....aswell as all the gte electronics....you will need a gte guage cluster as the ge tach is different and won't work...there is unlimited amounts of info on these type swaps on this forum so saying you can't find info is bullshit...

Wow, settlle down philly. Guess It's true, Yall did throw snowballs at santa.

I didn't see where he said N/A to turbo. I thought he just wanted to put a 89+ engine into a pre 89.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
dumbo;1468937 said:
What sensors on the post 89 engine won't plug into the pre 89 harness, I'm doing a similar project.

The CPS plug is different, can't remember what else.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
CPS plug should only be different in clip color. I have used green plugged CPS's on an 89+ harness.

I would be more worried about the Igniter. There are 2 different types. I'm not sure on the years, but the number of pins in the connectors may be different. Maybe somebody knows what year the change happened, and the number of pins in each.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
ForcedTorque;1469027 said:
CPS plug should only be different in clip color. I have used green plugged CPS's on an 89+ harness.

Perhaps the plug change was only on GE's then.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Right on, shant be a big problem then:)

Another question not to thread jack, but I'm sure the OP may intrigued too.

Didn't the post 89 have a lower rev limit? So if you use pre 89 electronics on a post 89 is there any ill effects?

Bootymeat

Banned
Nov 4, 2009
Bev Hills 90210
gaboonviper85;1468478 said:

It's not bullshit. I'm talking about wiring the 91 engine into a 87 body. Obviously I'm going to be using the 91 ECU and Harness, however I'm sure it doesn't plug and play into the body harness of my 87. I hope this clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.