Swapped in a rebuilt motor - low oil pressure

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles - the oil would have to hit 250+ degs for you to even notice. The spring in the oil pump would still work at the same psi to regulate pressure, just higher if shimmed. If the squirters function at a lower psi, it would be a big pressure bleed....combined with a tired pump would make it worse.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
UPDATE:

I unhooked the feed line to the oil cooler and put it in a bucket

When I started the car oil was pouring out and the pressure was way under 40psi

So I unscrewed the bolt on the filter housing to make sure the spring was in there, it was so I shimmed it with a few washers and now my pressure is back to perfect!! just under 40psi around 3k rpm cruise when before it was just over 20psi

Thank god I have good oil pressure again!!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
So it was the oil filter housing cooler valve...I thought so ;)

Now that you have pressure...you might want to consider getting rid of the stock filter housing and switching to a full flow, thermostat controlled cooling circuit like I mentioned earlier. Much better way of keeping your oil at the correct temps and eliminates the problem you experienced forever.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
SC61 MK3;1122767 said:
UPDATE:

I unhooked the feed line to the oil cooler and put it in a bucket

When I started the car oil was pouring out and the pressure was way under 40psi

So I unscrewed the bolt on the filter housing to make sure the spring was in there, it was so I shimmed it with a few washers and now my pressure is back to perfect!! just under 40psi around 3k rpm cruise when before it was just over 20psi

Thank god I have good oil pressure again!!

Thanks for posting the results of your problem, as I think my swap has the same symptoms.

I just got my GTE running, and pressure looked good until the engine warmed up. Once warm, my oil pressure slowly started dropping, and I noticed that my oil cooler was very warm to the touch. Oil was flowing through it, and I know the pressure was nowhere near 40 PSI sitting at idle.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
its real easy to check just pull one of the oil cooler lines and put a bucket under the car and see if anything comes out