suspension question?

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
i just discovered that due to an error in my math and some other stuff, i have a large surplus of money that i could use to pay off my debts but would much rather spend on the supra. i have always wanted to get a good suspension and now i can afford it. initially, i wanted tein RA coilovers, but i've been told that they are WAAAAAAY to stiff for daily driving (springrates: f- 1010, R- 560) and that they would drive me crazy. they are also highly expensive (~$1700). i was therefore thinking about the slightly less stiff tein flex (f- 670, r- 340) and they seem to have the same ride height adjustment and upper pillowball mounts as the RA. they are also compatible with edfc, if i ever wanted to go that route, and at $1270 (935 motorsports), they seem like a hell of a deal.
now, i also see that there are tein SS coilovers also, (f- 900, r- 500) that are much cheaper ($915 at 935motorsports) and seem like the RA's only without the upper pillowball mounts.

given all of these factors, what should i buy? i want good suspension that will last (rebuldable = good = all tein coilovers) and is of very high quality and will give my car good performance without making it unstreetable. i guess it comes down to either the flex or the ss, so what do people here reccommend? i can afford either suspension (but would rather pay less) and it seems that the SS is just a stiffer version of the flex but without the pillowball mounts. is this true? has anyone used either suspension and can tell me their experience?

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
I've got some Tein HRs. Those are some stiff bitches, 1200 600 I think. It's great for handling, but bumpy roads could drive you nuts. It all depends on what you could handle on a day to day basis.

I suggest catching a ride in folks that have decent setups and see what you like for spring rates.

You also need to pick up some anti-roll bars, front/rear/hatch bars, and some adjustable endlinks. Then you'll be in business for a car on rails.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
i have front bar that i just got a few days ago and will hopefully have a rear bar in the near future. i love the front one so far, although i had to do some minor modifications to my engine to make it fit (hose reroutes mostly, took 5 minutes and $1.00 of hose) and it kicks some ass. definitely see the benefit to the rear, but as my car is a hardtop, do i really need any other sway bars for my car? i know that targas really benefit from this, but i was under the impression that hardtops are a lot stiffer and so it isn't really needed. am i wrong?

Paradox

20G Boostin'
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, eh
www.pxi.ath.cx
stiffer the better. get the rear in asap and you'll notice the supra turn into a entirely new beast. way better handling, hardly any body roll. its very nice.

as for springs i run H&R's, they drop it a bit too much up front for my liking but the handling is way better than stock.

my car is a targa and i notice a bit more flex uptop with suspension modifications, but it shouldnt be noticable with a hardtop.

Apr 1, 2005
WA
wh0wants2know said:
i have front bar that i just got a few days ago and will hopefully have a rear bar in the near future. i love the front one so far, although i had to do some minor modifications to my engine to make it fit (hose reroutes mostly, took 5 minutes and $1.00 of hose) and it kicks some ass. definitely see the benefit to the rear, but as my car is a hardtop, do i really need any other sway bars for my car? i know that targas really benefit from this, but i was under the impression that hardtops are a lot stiffer and so it isn't really needed. am i wrong?

you are confusing sway bars with strut tower bars.

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
i too have tein hrs, they are awesome for road racing, strut bars are overrated IMO, sway bars are not, but dont put stiffer sways on stock stuff, you will lift tires when you corner hard.

Ang

Last edited:

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
screaminglemon said:
you are confusing sway bars with strut tower bars.

actually i was referring to both, i just wasn't very clear with what i was saying. i was still under the impression that sway bars were mostly beneficial to targa cars but it seems that i am wrong. i did get a front strut tower bar recently and it was definitely worth the $30 i paid for it. who sells a good set of sway bars?