Suspension question for Wiisass

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Recently got 4 Work VS Wheels. Offset front is 30 with 235/4517, Rear offset 35 with 255/40/17.

I read the Wheel fitment thread and did converse with BorHor about these offsets.

My question is this.

When I temp mount the rear wheel it seems that it is darn close to the lower spring support on the shock. Do the dynamics of the rear suspension allow that part of the shock ( spring support ) to float above the tire ? As it sits it seems dead certain to rub.

Thanks

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
You should be fine. When you put the car on the ground you'll probably wind up gaining a small amount of clearance, however as the suspension compresses under acceleration it'll lose a small amount of clearance.

If it makes you feel any better, I ran 255/40-17 with a 36mm offset and had no issues.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
i run a 275 +36 in the rear with no problem and my car is lowered on coilovers seems weird you are having a problem pictures would help

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Thats strange that yours seem like they will interfer...

My old FN01R-C's (shown in my sig pic) were 17x9's in the rear with a 43 offset and a 275-40-17 on them and there was no interferance

If your rears have a 35mm offset, then depending on the width of the wheel, yours should be pushed out further away from the suspension then mine was so why you would have an interferance issue makes no sense.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Wait, if your thinking that its going to hit when the suspesion moves through its range of motion, dont worry about it... The shock body and lower spring seat move up and down with the wheel... Or you could say that the relationship between the two does not change (or atleast in a way that would cause then to hit) when the suspension moves through its range of motion...

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
CJ

Your last reply was exactly my concern. If you had a 43 offset then I should have 8mm more with the 35 on the inside.

I have not mounted the tires to the rim as yet. I was just eying up my clearance with the car on jack stands and wheel temp fitted.

Using a straightedge on the inner lip of rim, it does in fact hit the lower spring mount on shock.

Like i said in first post. I did the research, ordered the correct offset and was just surprised by what seemed to be insufficient clearance. Reason I asked about the dynamics of the rear suspension. It must do exactly as you say, or yours mine and many others would never fit ^^

Last edited:

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
You could double check the dimensions of your wheel to make sure they sent the right ones...However I do not see how you are using a straight-edge to determine that the lower spring perch and wheel will hit. If there is no contact with the car in the air, there will be no contact when you put it on the ground (for all practical purposes).

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
But what width wheels? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

If they're less than 10s, +35 is a real conservative offset and 255 should have no problem fitting.

But I don't really know anything about lowering springs or stock style shocks and can't remember what they look like. But can you turn the shock 180* and will it give you more room?

It seems weird that you are having problems with that set up though. Maybe you're just looking at it slightly wrong. Worst case, you need to run a small spacer to get some extra clearance, but I doubt that will be the case.