Suspension on 1988 Supra Turbo is Blown. Advice?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
So I was told by a friend to save up about 1.5k and go for an entire suspension system replacement. But I asked another friend, who's pretty huge into cars and she said that since my springs aren't cut that I'd be fine with just replacing the struts/shocks. I found these online and at around $120 a shock they sound like a WAY better deal than saving up all that money. Also fixing the suspension isn't just for my driving enjoyment, the current is so bad its dangerous due to poor control and an unstable rear on even slightly imperfect roads.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Tokico/Suspension/Shocks/Illumina/1196

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Those are if you have tems.

You can get reg tokicos for like 200 for all 4. Or bikstiens from kragen or autozone for 400 with lifetime warranty.

Depends what you want. Personally I would lower the cat with atleast some eibachs. Don't cut spring.
If you want your car to handle in the corners like really good you could get all poly bushings and sway bars and coilovers. Or just get spring shocks and sway bars and still have a pretty decent handling car.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Just to give an idea of budget I could get $600 pretty quickly and even if it'll have to be added on to later I really need to at least have the car handle well instead of like complete shit. I'll look up those options you offered. I don't know if my tems works or not because my shocks are ruined but the wiring for the switch isn't hooked up, however, the 3 lights that show the level of stiffness do light up at higher speeds and while breaking. Would that be a sign the system is still operational?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No I have tens deleted and my light still light up.

Well I mean what are you planning to do with the car?
Eibachs about 230$
Tokico blues about 200$
St sway bars about 330$

That will make the car handle like a whole different car. But if you want to go low get some coilovers or h&r sprigs with height adj bilstiens.
It all comes down to what you want to do with it.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Short term I just want it to handle well for daily driving, mainly just for my personal safety haha. I'll admit I enjoy taking corners fast but I can hold off on the drifter's suspension till later when I have the money lol. As far as the look of the car I do eventually want to lower it a little, but like I said for right now its my daily driver(only car I have because of an unfortunate event with my other car) so I need it to handle well and be comfortable to drive.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would just get the above then. That should be plenty and not be crazy with driveways and speed bumps.

Eibachs are a softer spring but the sway bars will make up for it. You can run a soft spring and a stiff sway bar and get te same effect as a stiff spring and a soft sway bar.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Do I need to do all those replacements at the same time? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question. The struts I can easily afford and possibly the springs at the same time. Reason I ask is cause I just don't want to have to wait another 2 months before it handles well.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your going to do both shock and spring its better to do it at the same time. A lot less work.

blackie87t

Sep 21, 2010
st. louis
i agree id do both at the same time it'll save you a lot of hairs being pulled out. on my car i hav tokico blues paired with D2 springs and i love it. the struts cost me about 300$ shipped from driftmotion and the springs were 180$ shipped and it's great for daily driving but at the same time stiff enough for my backroading and tracking on the weekends.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
So I have a mandrel bent exhaust, all one piece from front to back. A final bend near the end for some reason sorta hangs lower than the rest and right now I have 4 inches or a little more of clearance from pavement. I've never once scraped. I'm just wondering has anyone else had experience with that and would the 1-1.5 inch drop caused by the eibach springs possibly cause clearance issues? How much compression do the Tokico blues have to where could I bottom out to the point where the exhaust scrapes?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I scrape all the time. Not something i ever worry about even with a 800$ exhaust system. Currently my dp is about 2in off the ground and for now under the diff is about 2.5 until i fix it soon.

Other than it being so low with just eibachs and tokicos you wont really scrape that much.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Alright yeah the exhaust is pretty thick so I didn't think it'd really be a big deal. As long as I'm not dragging it on the pavement I'll be happy lol. I don't have to get sway bars at the same time do I? I know that they install seperately and I may have to wait a couple weeks before I have the 300 dollars needed for the sway bars. How would the car handle with just the tokicos and eibachs?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No you can do that at any time. It will handle decent enough, not the greatest but def an improvement over stock. Esp if your on blown shocks right now, it will ride like a caddy after.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Alright cool. Then wish my luck guys. Wednesday I'm gonna order my stuff from Driftmotion.com! New Tokico blues, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, and an Energy Poly Bushing Set for both front and rear. Totaling up to $642 before tax. Seems like a pretty good deal. And a month or so after that I'll get the S/T Sway bar set for $295.

blackie87t

Sep 21, 2010
st. louis
my D2's drop it 2 inches in the front and 1.7 inches in the rear. eibach's drop it like an inch all around i think, dont quote me tho..