Suspension Noob

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Good day all,

Ok I am totally confused about what steps I need to do to acheive my suspension goals, so lets start out with what I have...

My Car:
1990 RHD JDM 2.5 TT
-Bilstein suspension

I have no idea what this suspensions adjustment and limitations are. All I know is it has Bilstein shocks. Is this suspension have room for adjustment, or is it fixed?

I have been looking at some posts and have been searching for more information about my stock set up, but have come up with pretty much nothing. The most useful thread I have found is this...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446817&highlight=bilstein
but I am not sure if this is what I have...

So my questions are:
-Am I able to just adjust my suspension with the current set up?
-If I want to drop my car 2-3" all around and keep the same ride quality, what parts/setup should I be looking for?
-What set up is more suitable for a: daily driver + country side cruiser + drag strip run once in a while + occasional auto cross runner?

This whole world of coilovers and stuff is so foreign to me, have only worked on leaf spring trucks all my life! :1zhelp:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
You want some lowering springs. But in the end you cant adjust the height with them. Coilover is actually the type of suspension we use but for some reason we call adjustible shock and spring sets "coilovers".Overall getting a coilover set up is usually better and always height adjustable to your needs. Usually the coilovers are also dampening adjustable so you can make it as soft or as stiff as you want easily

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
What are your goals with the car? What are you going to do with it? How much can you spend?

I don't really know shit about answers, but those are the questions that the guys in the know need to know to help.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I'm doing some looking around on lowering springs right now, and the majority of the lowering springs lower your car a decent bit, but are the same stiffness as stock if not softer, and are progressive. Both qualities usually are considered negative for handling. If you're not really into racing, you can get the usual lowering springs (Eibachs, H&Rs) depending on how much of a drop you want.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
BorHor;987223 said:
You want some lowering springs. But in the end you cant adjust the height with them. Coilover is actually the type of suspension we use but for some reason we call adjustible shock and spring sets "coilovers".Overall getting a coilover set up is usually better and always height adjustable to your needs. Usually the coilovers are also dampening adjustable so you can make it as soft or as stiff as you want easily

thank you for clearing that up, now I know I would like coil overs and not just just modifying my existing setup with parts.

Keros;987259 said:
What are your goals with the car? What are you going to do with it? How much can you spend?

I don't really know shit about answers, but those are the questions that the guys in the know need to know to help.

My goal is to have a beautiful car that not only performs well, but also handles well and is reliable and a comfort to drive.

60% daily driver
30% hard driving twisty roads
5% drag strip
5% fooling around at auto cross circuit

As for money, I am willing to pay a reasonable price for quality parts, I hate cheaping out for crap that I will not be happy with or break.

Ma70.Ent;987262 said:
I'm doing some looking around on lowering springs right now, and the majority of the lowering springs lower your car a decent bit, but are the same stiffness as stock if not softer, and are progressive. Both qualities usually are considered negative for handling. If you're not really into racing, you can get the usual lowering springs (Eibachs, H&Rs) depending on how much of a drop you want.

keep us posted on what you find for the records

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
I'd recomend the megan racing coilovers for you.

they are 950 shipped from a few vendors on here (I'm one).

Adjustable for height, and shock valving they make a great improvement in the way your car feels. a set of bilstiens is about 400 dollars, and a set of eibachs are 220 on average. add in shipping and your at 650 easily. for only 200 more you get linier rate springs, adjustable valveing, adjustable height, and pillow ball mounts to replace your stock rubber ones.

it's almost a no brainer.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Ckanderson;987326 said:
I'd recomend the megan racing coilovers for you.

they are 950 shipped from a few vendors on here (I'm one).

Adjustable for height, and shock valving they make a great improvement in the way your car feels. a set of bilstiens is about 400 dollars, and a set of eibachs are 220 on average. add in shipping and your at 650 easily. for only 200 more you get linier rate springs, adjustable valveing, adjustable height, and pillow ball mounts to replace your stock rubber ones.

it's almost a no brainer.

Well those sound very good! I was talking to my local auto parts store (Lordco in canada) and he said they were crap, but was telling him I read peoples opinions on here which said "most of Megan equipment is crap, but their coil overs are exceptional"

do you personally run Megan Ckanderson? if so, for how long? which model?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Unfortunetly I dont. I was selling my 1j supra when these came out, and they dont make coilovers for Mercedes or Lincoln continentals.

I know lots of people who have and have for years (jewish jalopy for one) and he loved them.

I ran Tien on my STi and absolutly loved the feel. when I get back in the Japanese import scene they are what I will run (megans).

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
If you want I can get you in on some Stance coilovers. It will be around $1250-1300 shipped. Stance-USA.com for more info