suspension install too expensive?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Definitely have a breaker bar on hand, that was the only problem I ran into that I remember. Had to make a run to sears for one, which has since seen a lot of use.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
its a 5 hour job max...if it takes you longer then you need to be hit in the head with a tack hammer....that shop cant be charging much more than $100 an hour....they are fucking con artists!!!!! that just blows my mind! its fucking crazy what people pay other people to work on their cars these days....no wonder america fails in the economic area!

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
once again, thanx for the feedback guys. highly appreciated.
i'm goin to keep everything mentioned here in mind when i finally decide to get this done.
& gaboon, i agree with u 100% i thought it was the biggest ripoff.

but i'm glad this is something many of you have done on your own.
everything mentioned so far seems to be very very helpful.
keep them coming guys.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Hey mechanics need to make a living too...right?

All of the shops I checked out were charging the suspension install labor per corner, not hourly. $200 - $250 a corner. What a rip.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
I think the reason why they can charge so much is because most people think that its a wildly complicated process when in actuality its extremely simple. I remember the first time I heard the word spring compressor, I figured it was an uber expensive complicated machine. Granted I was only 17 at the time and was still a newb.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I have done it many times both with air tools and w.o air tools. Do it your self, wont be longer than 3-4 hours in your driveway. That long control arm bolt on the passenger side always give me a good fight.

just90gs

Supramania Contributor
Jul 21, 2009
yortown Va
yeah not to hard, you will need a 14mm 17mm 10mm 19mm breaker bar and a fork,spring compressor. and since your done their take a look at other thing's to like brake line's pad's and the wear.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
You won't need a spring compressor, since you're putting new lowering springs, on new struts, and don't have to disassemble the old struts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
rayall01;1373824 said:
You won't need a spring compressor, since you're putting new lowering springs, on new struts, and don't have to disassemble the old struts.

Top mounts...

In my case, I didn't have to disassemble as the setup I bought had cusco top mounts, so it was an easy swap.

Remember to tighten the bolts with the suspension loaded (I used a jack under the lower ball joint).

Also, if you have aftermarket sway bars, the rear WILL fight you, I had to disconnect one side to get the suspension to drop enough (IF you're able to get the backend fully in the air it solves this, but I wasn't chancing it rolling over the chocks).

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I can't say how hard this would be to do yourself, but I have a local shop owned by a supra guy and he quoted me $50 per wheel. But that may be the super-special-returning-supra-owner's discount.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Poodles;1373905 said:
Top mounts...

You're right, I spaced on the mounts, cause I had new on the brain. However, I have done it without a compressor, but I was using an impact gun at the time. Just get a good grip on the spring and mount, and the strut shoots out a few feet when the nut pops. I'm not recommending this unless you're an experienced mechanic.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
rayall01;1374051 said:
You're right, I spaced on the mounts, cause I had new on the brain. However, I have done it without a compressor, but I was using an impact gun at the time. Just get a good grip on the spring and mount, and the strut shoots out a few feet when the nut pops. I'm not recommending this unless you're an experienced mechanic.

That is like saying only an experience gun owner should clean a loaded weapon. [No one should clean a loaded gun.]

I don't think anyone should be unbolting a compressed spring like that. Use the proper tool, experience or not.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I want my spring held down, I been working on cars for a good while. I dont care on how I can do it different ways lol, I saw a spring get loose one time. fun shit. got stuck on the ceiling in the swap. coulda been someones face tho.

example:

thumb160x_9b662f796263e9a28965de394280ba46.jpg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i didnt need a spring compressor... dont remember why...

but yeah it is super easy to do.. ONLY trouble i EVER had was with end links (the allen head was rusted)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
rayall01;1373824 said:

You will still re-use the top cap and bumpstops. ANYTIME you are working with springs, you need a spring compressor to keep things from flying... prevent damage?

The only time I did not use the spring compressor, was when istalling the new springs on the rear struts. You can push down on the spring/cap and get the center nut back on without the compressor.

ANYONE ELSE NOT SUGGESTING SPRING COMPRESSORS, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. IT IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO TRY SOMETHING THAT STUPID. THE OP HAS ALREADY INDICATED HE DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE, SO PLEASE LET'S NOT LET THIS BE HIS LAST ONE.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
just90gs;1373830 said:
so your just gonna break that bolt loose and let that spring shoot that shock/strut where it what's to go.

You have not a clue...undo the top shock mount from the body but don't undo the nut in the center holding the shock...the spring won't go anywhere!! Either way undoing the mount from the shock doesn't send parts flying with great force! The stock springs don't have alot of stored energy as you think as the shocks extend pretty far.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Satan;1374189 said:
You will still re-use the top cap and bumpstops. ANYTIME you are working with springs, you need a spring compressor to keep things from flying... prevent damage?

ANYONE ELSE NOT SUGGESTING SPRING COMPRESSORS, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. IT IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO TRY SOMETHING THAT STUPID. THE OP HAS ALREADY INDICATED HE DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE, SO PLEASE LET'S NOT LET THIS BE HIS LAST ONE.

uuum no! Again our stock springs don't have alot of stored energy when the shock is completely extended....maybe enough to toss the top spring mount 6" in the air....it's not a big deal! Sure maybe if you had custom shortened shocks this could be an issue but not the stock shocks/springs....infact I even got stock springs back on a shock and assembled without a spring compressor!!! Explain that!

Spring comps help with the front but are not needed...don't make a big deal out of something that isn't...majority says spring comps are over kill...and if you think you are the smartest person here with the most experience then you're sadly mistaken!!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
lol, it never hurts to have one tho. on a few cars I got the spring off without one and back on.. I just dont like what I saw in the past.

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I dont think you need the spring compressor for the fronts since the springs are not compressed at all when you pull out the spring/shock assembly. For the rears I had to tho.