Suspension Bushings

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I tried searching but it just confused me even more lol. I want to replace my suspension with B&G lowering springs, Tokico Illumina TEMS shocks, do our cars have struts or is it a 2 in 1 sort of thing?, and replace the bushings while I am down there. What I want to know is what are the best bushings I can get that will last long and make the ride comfortable and quiet? It seems that OEM is my best option but I want to get some more opinions on this just in case I am wrong. This might help but I plan on making my car a GT car, keep it comfortable and quiet with occasional track use when everything is done but lets not worry about the track use now that is way down the line.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea but I've read that some people have noise issues and some love them.

EDIT: I just remembered that was actually with the RED poly bushings that some people had noise problems with. Has anyone here used the Energy Bushing set from DriftMotion?

Last edited:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Red and black mean nothing. Black is just black.. that's it. Some say it's graphite impregnated, but either way, it doesn't help with the noise. HOWEVER; if you properly grease them, you will have no problems. I didn't use the grease supplied, I used Lucas Red n Tacky #2 to grease mine..

And I have that exact same setup, except the non TEMS shocks, and I love the way it handles, even if it is a little stiff.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I read I should use lots of lube when pressing the bushings in.

Is it difficult to replace the stock springs/shocks with new ones or is it better to take it to a shop to do it?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I did some more researching and found that Super Pro Bushings are actually pretty good from reviews on forums and such, so I may give them a shot.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I changed my old worn out shocks for newer ones from my old Supra, and it took me maybe 5 hours to do all 4. and that is only because I had to stop a few times because my 3 year old thought it was funny to take my tools and move them. lol. No need to press the new Energy bushes in there. Mine slid right in with ease.....I had to have a oxy torch to get my old ones out though.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
The noise you would hear, like said before, would be the bushing squeaking inside the housing. Regardless of bushing, without the proper lube it will be very noisy. Now solid bushings will transmit a lot of noise no matter what you do.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
91Supra313;1921952 said:
I changed my old worn out shocks for newer ones from my old Supra, and it took me maybe 5 hours to do all 4. and that is only because I had to stop a few times because my 3 year old thought it was funny to take my tools and move them. lol. No need to press the new Energy bushes in there. Mine slid right in with ease.....I had to have a oxy torch to get my old ones out though.

Just because your bushings slid in to place, doesn't mean that everyone's will.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Shock and spring replacement is easy, you can do it yourself...just get the outside spring compression tool from autozone or checker or whatever.

The hardest part for me was getting the Illumina II's set to soft...there aren't any markings that indicate stiffness level so I took pictures of the "tab" orientation before I took everything apart, then I tried to determine the soft setting by hand (compressing the shock, changing the tab slightly, compressing again, and then trying to judge which was easiest to compress) then I compared to the picture to see if it was close...might be over kill but redundancy never hurts.

And make sure your TEMS switch is set to normal so they are in the soft position when you remove them...

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Speaking of TEMS, where can I get replacement seals for the motors? The rubber piece that sits between the motor housing and the chassis look brittle and worn.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Doat;1922063 said:
Speaking of TEMS, where can I get replacement seals for the motors? The rubber piece that sits between the motor housing and the chassis look brittle and worn.

What seal are you talking about? The one that goes under the TEMS cover...about 6'' in diameter? or the one of the motor itself...1/2'' in diameter?

EDIT: I don't think you can buy replacements of either so my question is moot

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Any poly bushing is going to be noisy unless you properly grease it. To make it better, make them serviceable. Drill a hold in a convenient location on the bushing's outer race, tap it, and fit a grease nipple. Grease them every oil change or every other. No noise.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I meant the 6in diameter seal that the motor bolts down onto to cushion it between the chassis or strut tower. If all goes to shit with those seals I'll figure out a replacement lol.

That is one thing that turns me off about the bushings it would be nice to get bushings that I don't have to constantly grease.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Just FYI the thing that bolts to the strut tower is just a cover to protect the motor. The motor is actually a small stepper motor that bolts to a small bracket on the strut...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
IJ. Greased his bushings once and never had a squeak. I forgot what grease he used though.. its all in the grease.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Alright I am in the market now to get the BG lowering springs and Tokico Illumina from Driftmotion but now those shocks are back ordered FUUUUU!!!! so the verdict is to get the Energy Bushings from DM and find out what type of grease to use correct?

Maybe Marine Grease for the bushings? Since it's water proof and such

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Personally, I would stick with stock bushings unless there is some really good reason you need them firmer. The maintenance hassle of poly bushings is a drag, and I only have two of them on my Lipp strut arms. I can't imagine having to deal with a whole setup in poly. For grease, use a poly bushing grease such as http://www.polybushings.com/pages/bushinglube.html

Even so, if I go over a big off-camber dip my rear suspension makes a groaning noise.