Supramania's Elite Engine bay Thread...ZERO progress pics.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Supra28;1391756 said:
turbotoy, Engine looks really clean and minty.

What's all done to it?

JE pistons, stock rods polished and vibratory stress relieved, crank vibratory stress relieved, balanced, ARP hardware throughout, ported head, Greddy MHG, Greddy intercooler kit, HKS 3000 pipe, Boss Jr. 57 trim turbo, RC 550 cc/min injectors, Lexus AFM, RPS 6 puck clutch, Aeromotive AFPR, MKIV fuel pump, lots of HKS gauges mounted in the glove box, HKS EVC-IV, and a small fortune in new misc. OEM hoses and rubber parts. HKS SSQV was placed so that the OEM hoses could be retained. Exhaust is RT DP, RT cat, and HKS sport cat-back.

The goal was to modify as little as possible to make good reliable power.

And yes, that's a stock intake with a Wix air filter.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
attachment.php

Not to get real far off topic but whats that in the back ground? A Bradley?

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
WOW! u know i have to say im really proud to still be a member of the mk3 community for threads like these.

Before 2000, there were only a VERY small handful of CLEAN mk3's let alone engine bays running around. Larry Anderson, Mike Urbano, Dan Matoba to name a few.

Now it seems the pride and $$$ has been shifted in to high gear with these machines and is now making a challenger to be reckoned with. I rarely search the forums here anymore, but just looking through the last few pages here have really made me want to post a thumbs up to everyone here! I was lucky enough to know the right people, have a good job and live at home to build my mk3. I get props all the time but its now to the point where I actually need to maybe step up my game again to stay in the ranks of the "elite" here! hahaha! :bigthumb:

Congrats to all of you who have come so far and never given up! As u can see it pays off in the end, and its something u will never forget! Now go to shows and bring home some awards, and to some of u, send in ur work to the magazines!!!!!!

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Txsupra;1395083 said:
Not to get real far off topic but whats that in the back ground? A Bradley?

It's an S2 Lamborghini Espada. This thread isn't the right place to discuss it, but there are more pics here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103176 .

Thanks for the nice comments on the Supra!

I built my last MKIII when I was in college almost 10 years ago. That car had a SP63 turbo, was fast as hell when in the powerband, was crazy loud, had lots of things stripped for weight savings, had very stiff suspension and was ultimately not very streetable and fun to drive for any duration.

When this nearly mint (61k miles, all original) black 89T came along, I had to buy it. I'm now in a different financial situation and my goals have changed (i.e. I'm getting old). I am LOVING the way this car is setup now. It's barely louder than stock and makes massive torque from 2500 RPM on up. I would also drive it across the country tomorrow without a single worry about reliability. I need to get it on the dyno, but it's probably in the 400RWHP range, and you know what, that's plenty given the broad spread of torque that is on tap.

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Hmm, well I rebuilt my engine a couple of months ago and this is how it looked before going in to the sup....... :D

p1395195_1.jpg

p1395195_2.jpg

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
HKS_TRD;1395199 said:
Wow, that looks sweet

What did you use to paint the cam gear cover, the grey look is nice

My friend Derek (JDMMA70) texted me at 1 am in the morning saying he had an idea for the valve covers... He said ferrari red, I was like WHT? its 1 am you know sleeping..... Next day he told me to pick up some wrinkle red.... After seeing the outcome of the nice texture red I wanted to do something a little different..... So I headed down to Auto Zone aka Vato Zone and picked up some dark grey (storm grey) I think... Rustoleum sand paper and tried to do the best I could on budget... It was more like a mock for later on when I could afford powdercoating.... I painted a few more parts in the engine bay that were away from extreme heat...

p1395215_1.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Wow those bits look cool

Nothing wrong with 1AM text messages lol

I was wondering what primer you used to make sure the paint stuck to the plastic piece

Cheers

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
HKS_TRD;1395218 said:
Wow those bits look cool

Nothing wrong with 1AM text messages lol

I was wondering what primer you used to make sure the paint stuck to the plastic piece

Cheers

I used this awesome primer name brand rustoleum, you can find it at walmart for 3 bucks a can..... Just make sure its the car one, it has a little red car on the front... Alot of things were rusting away soo they looked awful, might as well paint them and help them out somewhat/stop the rusting with rustoleum.... So were is a pic of your engine man... Curios to see it now hehe...

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Ah OK I'll keep that in mind, I have a plastic piece or two in the bay I want to paint if possible

My engine is not in one piece yet, the bottom end is at the machine shop and the head is on the bench ready to go once I get the solid buckets for it

The motors new home to be is coming along nicely tho as per my thread

Sorry for OT post guys

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
HKS_TRD;1395227 said:
Ah OK I'll keep that in mind, I have a plastic piece or two in the bay I want to paint if possible

My engine is not in one piece yet, the bottom end is at the machine shop and the head is on the bench ready to go once I get the solid buckets for it

The motors new home to be is coming along nicely tho as per my thread

Sorry for OT post guys

Id suggest to get two kinds of sanding paper... One rough and one 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper or as close to 1000 as you can get..... Sand it down untill it is smooth then apply primer in thin coats.... Get a water sprayer and once primer is dry spray it and sand it with the 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper.... Once smooth do same with paint, thin coats and dont forget to apply clear afterwards.... The finish in most cases is incredible.... Some people dont believe it was done with a few cans of paint and primer... Sorry for the OT guys.....