suprakid24's build up round #2 (PICS)

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
Drove the car to school yesterday, everything was going good except the transmission which decided to crap out on me. I was at a red light turning right and I put it in first while I was waiting and when I started to go POP the shifter popped out of gear and first was gone after that. Then I managed to make it to school starting off in second and even then second and third gear were whining real bad, fourth and fifth were ok or so they seemed.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Bad luck man! I had the same thing happen to my last tranny, when the first gear thrust washer broke, it put a lot of pressure on the 3rd gear hub and was hard to drive. Then 3rd gear just gave out because of the pressure.

You going to do the TH350 swap?

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
frontierguy25;1246083 said:
Bad luck man! I had the same thing happen to my last tranny, when the first gear thrust washer broke, it put a lot of pressure on the 3rd gear hub and was hard to drive. Then 3rd gear just gave out because of the pressure.

You going to do the TH350 swap?

Yea it sucks... we were debating over and over about swapping and it is a hard choice but for now the R154 is going to stay in there, we have a spare to throw in there while we rebuild the other so I can keep the break in going.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Cool! Can't wait to see your car at TX. I'm just hoping that my tranny stays together for it. We are going to have a lot of 11 sec MK3's this year it looks like.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
Swapped out the trans. with the spare R154 the other day, have been driving it since to put miles on the car... going to re-torque the head in the near future. Just a little update.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
So... a little time crunching trying to get ready for TX2K9

Things that still need to happen:
Put in the cage
Wire up the meth kit
TUNE!!

Not sure about the tranny, the one in it is not very good, but at least it's not broken like the other one. Looking into the TH400 but that will have to be after TX2K9.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Congrats on getting it to run/drive!
Personally I'd stay R154...

You should try 'n get some vids posted up!
Hows the idle with those cams?
Same ones I'm running on the 1JZ this summer.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
87M-GTE;1261881 said:
Congrats on getting it to run/drive!
Personally I'd stay R154...

You should try 'n get some vids posted up!
Hows the idle with those cams?
Same ones I'm running on the 1JZ this summer.

Supra28;1262029 said:
Made a lil' boost huh? Where's the vid? :naughty:

I will get vids once it's ready to fully romp on it, it still needs a re-tune!! :cry:

Here's a pic I took earlier...

Attachments

• DSC_0411.jpg
    DSC_0411.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 74

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
So we took my car to TX2K9, dyno'd at 496 hp, it definitely has more in it. We only pulled to 6k (built for more) and it was cutting out up top with the boost around 25.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQAaqaX7wCk
p1282681_1.jpg

p1282681_2.jpg

p1282681_3.jpg

(The dude in the driver seat is not me BTW, they had someone drive it up for you. I was in the passenger seat logging.)

We were also fighting boost problems basically the whole first night of test and tune and the test and tune of the next day, it started making hardly any boost. Turned out that the coupler right off of the turbo had a whole in the back of it only letting me boost up to 10 psi. Thanks to the MVP booth we got another coupler and made things work. By time I got my car dialed in right, I got about 2 good passes, one of which was against Jay AKA suprahero. The whole time shifting from first to second was like hitting a brick wall then pulling the shifter through it, so those shifts were incredibly slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKebkFjTrOo&feature=player_embedded

Then, in the actual competition rounds I had a by run... and of course right after I did my burnout and rolled up to the tree it would not go into gear. I fought it, turned off the car and then it went in and I told the guy "hey its working now can I go?" He said "sure but your time won't count." So I started the car and then it would not go into gear again. We had to push my car off the track and back to the truck
p1282681_4.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped push my car off of the track and back to the truck - I know there were WFO guys pushing and jugodegolf was helping too, and thanks to Fred AKA bigdough666 for the pics of my car on the dyno and being pushed off the track. Thanks to my girlfriend Amber for the cool vids.

Hopefully those problems are going to be gone though, because it has arrived. TH350 w/ transbrake and full manual reverse valve body.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Great looking car, nice numbers! Soo close to 500..You'll get there though. Hope you get everything sorted out

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Craig, if you would, please make a list of everything you've bought and from whom you bought it. I may end up going this route before next year as well. I don't know for sure yet, but there's no way I can beat you with my five speed. Losing to the same person twice doesn't set well with me...........:biglaugh: