Supra Won't Hold Traction Now!

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I don't know what has happened to my Supra, :dunno: but it definitely has more power and torque since getting the new Action Stage Two clutch kit and the Fidanza flywheel lightened. I also had the mechanic install the Energy Suspension brand transmission mount. The old Action Stage Two clutch kit was seven years old.
The car is breaking traction in second, by just stepping on the foot feed; something it never did before! When over four thousand RPMs, pushing the foot feed to the floor, causes it to loose traction in third too. Time for wider wheels! I turned down the boost and it is now more streetable...
What has remarkably improved the power and torque to the wheels?
Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IanC;1869173 said:
The clutch and flywheel. :)
I too think it is due to the new clutch kit, as it is two pounds lighter than the old one. The revs come up noticably faster, as does the boost, all due to the moment of inertia. My intention for having the lighter set-up was to get revs up sooner out of the corners to grab the next gear quicker. It all makes sense to me now. I'm just surprised at the performance improvement. Thanks! Van

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I never knew Energy Suspension made a transmission mount for our cars. That's good to know cause one of my transmission mount nuts is stripped.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
MNBmk3T;1869304 said:
I never knew Energy Suspension made a transmission mount for our cars. That's good to know cause one of my transmission mount nuts is stripped.

It's not specifically for our car, it's a GM trannys mount. Driftmotion makes the V adapter to bolt to the tranny. Then you have to drill two new holes in the tranny mount bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
hey van if you want to barrow my 275s, on stock MKiv turbo rims 17x10s (i know everyone says that their 9.5s, but they seem alot more like a 10 then a 9.5) .. and see what you think..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IanC;1869184 said:
I was leaning more towards fresh mating surfaces and a much better transfer of power (ie: no slipping) but sure.
This was my thought. Plus, less parasitic loss with the lighter components means more power ends up at the wheels, correct?

Van;1869333 said:
That's two fellow Supra owners, so far, that suggest that size for the rear. Thanks. Van
I've ran those on the back for years now. Not going to say it is an end-all, stick-all, but it goes a long way to helping traction out, especially coming out of corners. Try out the NT01 sometime, I hear good things...

Also, the extra rubber/wheel combo is a bit heavier, so that should counteract your newfound lightness in the clutch/flywheel.