Supra sounds like a chopper!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i had a similar problem a couple years ago. one of the injector grommets into the head had blown out causing a vac leak and way rich conditions.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
QUOTE....Get a mechanics stethoscope from the auto parts store (or tool dealer), take off the rod/diaphram assy, and use just the hose to listen around for a leak. NOTE: I added some length of vacuum hose onto it so I would not burn the original one, and to reach further.
I've also used a coat hanger tape to the hose to move it around manifolds to get to every possible leak area.

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I just did a full compression check today. Full compression accross all cylinders. Next thing i'am gonna do is buy a cheap set of spark plugs and see if that makes any difference. this one is still a mystery..

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
M10x1.25
I second. I have to helicoil mine, hopefully this weekend.

edit: oops, i seconded something of the first page, didn't notice all the other pages :icon_redf

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
suprana1990 said:
hey i got a video of my car sounding like a chopper just like "everythingfallsapart" supra sound like.

i don't mean to hi-jack the thread everything, i am having the same problem as u are so i was hoping to get some answer instead of creating another thread.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Choppercar1

mine sounds exactly like yours man! anyone know what it is? I'll try to post a video also. Does anyone know if the cam gears are interchangable? or does one have to be on the intake side and one specifically on the exhuast side. ?

Last edited:

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i am thinking, most likely it could be a injector o-ring.
the scary thing was when i took it to the shop they told me a few things and told me it cost a fortune to fix.

list of things that could be wrong from a mechanic~

1.bad piston ring - (i think ruled it out since i did a full compression test and all the cylinder are good... 175-190)
2.burnt valves - (need to run a leak down test)
3.clogged injector - (anyone could point me to a good place to clean? i heard witchhunter is cheap but u know how the saying goes... "u get what u pay for")

o forgot to ask one more thing, did u happen to put any injector cleaner chemical in the gas?
i think my problem started after putting a freakin bottle of injector cleaner in the gas(drove the car for a while and this chopper sounds started)

everythingfallsapart i think u could try and replace the o-rings for the injectors and see what happens.

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
suprana1990 said:
i am thinking, most likely it could be a injector o-ring.
the scary thing was when i took it to the shop they told me a few things and told me it cost a fortune to fix.

list of things that could be wrong from a mechanic~

1.bad piston ring - (i think ruled it out since i did a full compression test and all the cylinder are good... 175-190)
2.burnt valves - (need to run a leak down test)
3.clogged injector - (anyone could point me to a good place to clean? i heard witchhunter is cheap but u know how the saying goes... "u get what u pay for")

o forgot to ask one more thing, did u happen to put any injector cleaner chemical in the gas?
i think my problem started after putting a freakin bottle of injector cleaner in the gas(drove the car for a while and this chopper sounds started)

everythingfallsapart i think u could try and replace the o-rings for the injectors and see what happens.

I doubt it's piston or valve issues. I did run fuel injection cleaner threw and it made no difference in running better or worse. I thought about the possibility of something going on with the injectors. When the car sits that long thick deposits could build in the fuel system clogging things up.Maybe clogged injectors, maybe bad grommets going into the head or bad o-rings.

Other possibilities include the obvious exhuast leak but I don't hear anything anywhere. Someone suggested to plug the exhuast tip and then you will be able to tell for sure. Have you checked for exhaust leak? most likely it would be at the header. I'am really doubting this though because manifold leaks that i've heard are obvious.

Egr leak. I removed my egr system and plugged everything. SO i know i'am good there.

3rd. Someone suggested that a cam gear might be off. "the 3 holes that are on the cam gears, make sure the middle hole in the cam is in the middle hole on the cam gear and make sure the gears are all TDC when u put the belt on. Check and see where the pins are in the cam...take the cam gears off and check"

I'am going to check those cam gears, plug exhuast, buy cheap pair of spark plugs and then start to investigate the injector area. Keep me up to date if you figure out anything!

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
same here
these are my so call mods

JDM engine so no egr, block all ports that once belong to the egr.

Removed charcoal canister

put a aluminum pipping for the intake

i check all cams couldn't possible be the cam cause my car ran fine before. It happen out of no where and i let it idle for a 10min. when i first happen and then drove less than half a block, it went back to normal. i drove for 60miles to a mall and it was running strong.

after i shut off the car and my gf and i shopped till we drop, the car stayed in that chopper mode till now.

i will be taking out the engine and replacing all the hose and rebuilding the bottom end.
i will post any problem i find when i take things apart and u prob. could look into that.

CassMori

Boost Addict
EverythingFallsApart said:
I'am completely stumped. Someone else has had to have this problem before..

Double check all of your injector clips and the wires for them. Make sure they're all pushed on all the way, and that none of the wires are loose/broken. Mine was doing exactly the same thing, had an injector clip that wasn't pushed on all the way.HTH

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
now i'am back at exhaust header leak. ONe bolt was loose and it was stripped at the head. DOn't know if it was creating a good enough seal. Thing is there's no noticable sound in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
OK i did a spark plug test to see if all were firing. I pulled each plug wire while it was running. All made a big difference except the number 2 plug. It made no difference connected or disconnected. I made sure all plug wires were firing and also getting connection at the distributer cap. ALL that was fine. I also switched out the number 2 spark plug 3 times.

NOW i'am thinking something has to be wrong with the number 2 fuel injector.

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
I'm going to join this thread because I'm experiencing something similar.

Here is what mine is doing... when it starts up, it runs fine, then after driving for a while, it begins to sound like it is missing. It is also VERY sluggish. After it sits for a long time, it runs fine again until I drive it.

I think it might be an injector, as many of y'all have suggested. I'm going to pull my wires to see if I can pinpoint a cylinder.

I don't understand why it happens after driving around a while though.. I'm afraid I might not be dealing with something as simple as a loose injector plug.

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
FINALLLYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

While inspecting the number 2 injector I noticed one wire on the plug looked like it was sticking out a bit. Then I look at the other end and I see the contact was not there. WHICH MEANS that number 2 injector was not firing because it had no power!!! I pushed it threw and plugged in back on. Started it up and sounds and runs perrrrrfect!! OMG I been jumping up and down hugging my family and telling everyone like I won the lottery haha! FEELS SOOOO GOOD TO BE BACK!!! It's been down since the winter but now runs better then when i bought the car originally.:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
CassMori said:
Double check all of your injector clips and the wires for them. Make sure they're all pushed on all the way, and that none of the wires are loose/broken. Mine was doing exactly the same thing, had an injector clip that wasn't pushed on all the way.HTH

YOU WIN!!! hahahhaahha. I didn't read your post right and thought you ment just the plug. NOW I know what you mean and that's what it was. One of the clips came loose. Pushed it back threw and whammy! :biglaugh: