Supra Road-Trip 2015: America's Best Roads?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Did this trip last month and thought some of you guys might like to read about it. :)

Map.png

In May of 2013, Stanzaspeed and I embarked on an exciting road trip in his 1991 JZA70 Twin Turbo R. It was the first time in the 7 years he'd owned the car that he actually took it on an extended trip and the first time it was driven through the mountains and on winding highways where it was basically meant to be driven. The trip started off extremely well and we were loving life all the way to Vancouver where the problems started popping up. First it was loose exhaust manifold bolts, which expanded to randomly dying by California. We narrowly made it to Las Vegas, where we were stuck for 5 days trying to diagnose the car and find parts in a country where the engine used in the car was never sold.

Included in those 5 days was a car rental that shouldn't have happened, an 18-hour drive to San Francisco and staying at all 3 hotels on the Mandalay Bay property at various times (including an extended nap in a lobby chair). After finally leaving Las Vegas the car fell flat on its face and we had a delightful 38-degree day in a Mesquite, NV McDonald's parking lot and took a 10 km walk to get some tools from a (non-existent) Radio Shack on a long weekend.

The trip was cut short, and we made our way back to Canada, continuously worried that the car may die on us at any given time. So, two years later, a few dollars and a few hours later, we're going to give it another shot. It turns out that the problem was actually a slowly dying fuel pump that was less and less enjoying running at 75% voltage, and it actually completely died a couple of months later. The car is better than it's ever been, and should be good to go. The fuel pump has since been replaced, among many other small parts, it's got a new set of sway bars and we've put together a set of large front brakes to handle the trip that we now find ourselves at the foot of.

While past road trips have focused on getting to a certain destination for food, or to see the east coast, or the west coast, this one is not about any particular destination but instead the roads that we've never used to get there. Each day of our twelve-day journey will include at least one section of driving considered to be the one of the best in the world. From the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Montana to Pikes Peak in Colorado to the Beartooth Highway in Wyoming and a lot of places in between, we will be avoiding interstates as much as possible looking for the best drives in America.

June 13 to June 24, 2015, total Distance Travelled: 8,098km

Read all about it!

Highlight pictures:

Jeff

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Wow. AND OMG. Nothing worse than car troubles. The can come from Brand new 91 Ford Mustang...or from an Ecu issue that is making car run like total wtf??

Cool pics. Was just up in Calgary for a sandwich...if it is good I will go.

Only one car? Could not tell from pics. I will check the day to day list when have more time.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yeah, just the one car, I really need to start bringing a support vehicle along, lol.

Which sandwich? I would like to eat this sandwich. :p Your trip looks like it's shaping up nicely! I did a few similar ones (but without the Supra) the last couple of years.

Jeff

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
The drive up or down the Oregon coast on HW101 is spectacular. Awesome twisty roads with incredible views of the pacific and I highly recommend the Cheese factory in Tilimook.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Lange!

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I love it. I want to do that kind of thing. I did SIV last year, but I trailered. Its kind of cheating, but towing a car that far is still bad ass

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
First George, now you, Jeff. Dammit! Very. very cool and thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed some Colorado roads. Awesome mountain driving for sure. Next time you're in Colorado you need to do the "peak to peak highway" and drive through Rocky Mountain National Park between Estes Park and Grand Lake. It can be busy at times, but the views are just jaw dropping. As a native, I still get a couple moments of "holy crap, nature is incredible" every time I drive it. You caught some great stuff in Colorado though. I'll have to hit those roads next time I'm back in CO.

I badly want to do this kind of road trip. I tripped out to Vegas when my mk3 was NA and it was a blast. While the car troubles make for some ruined plans and annoying sidetracks, sometimes it adds to he memory.

Funny too, you drove to my home Krispy Kreme in Thornton, CO. You probably also drove by my house on I-25. I lived about 0.3 miles from the Interstate just north of Thornton.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There are some plans for the car that will make it a bit better to drive for the next time we go, will cut some stuff out, but add some other stuff. Try to improve each time we go, haha.

I will keep the Peak to Peak Highway in mind for next time. Still need to do the Going-To-The-Sun Road as well, since we missed it this time. :(

Jeff

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprarx7nut;2054194 said:
Funny too, you drove to my home Krispy Kreme in Thornton, CO. You probably also drove by my house on I-25. I lived about 0.3 miles from the Interstate just north of Thornton.

Northglenn?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
This thread and George's thread makes me want to just drive and explore this country. I wish we had some of the cool stuff you guys out west have over here in the South. I really want to make it out to the pacific coast highway, but it's at least a 3 day drive to just get there from where I'm at...