Supra in Turbo mag

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I just got the May edition of Turbo and High tech Performance in the mail, and there's a MKIII in the Readers Rides section. Wondering if anyone else has seen this.
It belongs to Ron Pulera, he's part of Midwest Supra's and at 18psi does 400rwhp. I'd scan it and post the page...but I don't have a scanner, this is the best I could do.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
great, jsut great.

now your gonna make me find 5 bucks worth of loose change in my car and pick this magazing up! jsut great.........

:biglaugh:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Here ya go s383... a nice long write-up

"SUMMERTIME SUPRA"
After a harsh Wisconsin winter Ron and Kathy Pulera take their 1989 Toyota Supra turbo out for a spin around their home town of Silver Lake every chance they get in the summer months. With a sport roof to let the sun in and 400 horspower under foot we would too. Ron's Supra fascination started in late 1991 and since then he has owned two MKIII Supra's in that time. Including this 1989 super white version. After two years of owning the mostly stock, previously pampered Supra he set out on his quest for more power.

Treading lightly at first Ron added a K&N Filtercharger, GReddy cat-back exhaust system, A Random Technologies downpipe, Suprasport High flow turbo elbow,and a Spearco Front mount intercooler. The engine stayed in this configuration while other parts of the car recieved attention. Eventually the desire for more horsepower won out. This time around Ron added a Lexus AFM, RC engineering 550cc injectors and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump. An SP61 turbo replaced the stock unit. The turbo inlet tuve is a custom piece made from stainless steel. The upper IC piping is from Cooleeze. A GReddy Type-S Blow off valve keeps pressures in check between shifts. An HKS metal head gasket is sandwiched between the head and the block, secured with ARP studs.

Engine management is helped along with a combination of an A'PEXi Super AFC-II ocnverter, GReddy turbo timer with HKS wiring harness, and a GReddy PRofec B-Spec electronic noost controller, set for 14 and 18 psi, this 3.0 liter, 24 valve turbocharged inline 6-cylinder makes 400rwhp at 6000rpm and 385lb-ft of torque at 5550 rpm

Eibach Pro-Kit springs lower the Supra about 1.5 inbches and 1.0 inches, front and rear respectively. Controlling sping movement are KYB GR-2 Gas struts at all four corners. The front gets an additional stiffness from a GReddy front strut tower brace.

KVR carbon-fiber high perfomance brake pads are the only braking upgrades to this point. Framing the brakes arew 17x8 inch Mille Miglia MM11 wheels inside Fuzion ZRi tires. 235/40R17 front and 245/40R17 rear.

Ron is able to keep an eye on engine vitals from the driver's seat courtesy of Auto Meter Boost pressure and EGT gauges mounted on the A-pillar as well as an AEM wideband UEGO A/F ratio gauge.

Ron makes the most of summer months with the Supra as he attends and participates in local autocross and drag races. His best time to date is 13.4 seconds at 116mph. Not too shabby for a 3,960lb car. When Ron wants to talk about Supra's he only has to look as far as the club he belongs to, Midwest Supra's."

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
JDMSupra said:
wow does anyone else think that is a pretty shitty quarter-mile time for how much horsepower he's got? 116 mph thats good for in the low 12's is it not? maybe this guy cant drive..

I was thinking the same thing when I typed it... I was like "wait...400 horse...mid 13's...Umm." I'd like to know his 60'. With 400 horse and trapping 116 it's common to be in the 12's.

I also noticed this "Not too shabby for a 3,960lb car."...I don't know about you guys but I'm not that fat with myself and a full system/gas tank in the car.