Supra Dynasty The Saving, Death & Resurrection of My A70 (V-Mount)

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
It's been a while since I've been on SM. I figured I'd check back in and share what I've been working on over the past year (most of it at least). Simply sharing my past, present, and future with my A70. Some may not agree or like where I am taking her build wise, but I find it refreshing and challenging taking a road less traveled.

This will be a Build Thread of my A70. I've been through a lot with this car, and I think to truly appreciate the situation and my reasons for sticking with her I have to go back in time quite a ways. (Skip ahead if you like)

p2075188_1.jpg

I have been around a Supra in some shape or form since I was 3 years old, I am 26 going on 27 this October 2016 and Supras remain a constant in my life. Before I knew what a Supra even really was I always knew it as "The car Dad gets mad at us for if we park our bikes too close" lol. That said I took it for granted in my early days as kid, it wasn't until later in high school where I started to have a vested interest. Up until that point in high school though I got to experience what I call the "Golden Age" of the Supra community (SILV & SOGI days). Looking back it seems like there was always someone over at our house working on their car with my dad (Larry_A). This was a simpler time when people helped each other out because it was the kind thing to do and for the experience, I'm talking exchanging wrench time for a few Coronas here and there. I picked up some basic wrenching skills working on my Dad's A70 with him, I also got to go through the demons that come with modding a car past it's limits through his car. We Jokingly called it the "Millenium Falcon" due to how his hand vented hood looked and how it always seemed to act up at the most inopportune moments. One second it would work like a dream, the next my Dad would literally just wiggle the harness here and there to get it to start. She made around 450WHP @ about 470LBS of torque in 2001. This was before JZ swaps were common and the information to do so was easily accessible.

p2075188_2.jpg

My Dad ultimately got out of the Supra scene, it was his only car and daily driver. To put it how he did he got "tired of driving a racecar" on the street. The interior was partially gutted in a manner where the factory panels could no longer go back, that coupled with solid motor mounts and flakk from my mom was what ended that era. I still vividly remember the day that A70 was sent off to the scrap yard, my Dad was changed for sure as was I. Loosing what I saw metaphorically as an inanimate family member which was always present in my upbringing was tough.

Fast forward to my high school years (2003-2007ish). My Dad kept a select few parts along with his engine in hopes of parting it out. He sat on them a little too long and JZ swaps started becoming a common thing. He needed a car for work so he ended up buying a non running A70 from NorCal. We transplanted what we could into it and once again he had a running Supra. This briefly brought him back into the scene and every now and then we'd go to meets again like in my childhood and once again fellow Supra owners would hangout and work on their cars at our house.

p2075188_3.jpg

Enter my Supra. I remember it clearly, June 18th 2007, I was sleeping in and my Dad bursts into my room waking me up. "Hey do you want a Supra?" I heard in my groggy state of mind, I said "yeah sure" thinking he was joking and went back to sleep thinking nothing of it. Later on when I finally got up he explained that he wasn't kidding. A good friend of his, Michael Bringle, had recently been rear ended at a stop light by a woman on her phone driving an Excursion, estimated speed of travel 45MPH. Mike had been around our place a few times prior, he and my Dad swapped out his auto transmission for an R154 right in our driveway. He is the owner and operator of the CygnusX1 website that many A70 owners have come to use and link others to for the TSRM and other info. I was familiar with the car itself but was skeptical of the damage and if it was really worth repairing. Mike stated he was going to part her out, this was when we stepped in and offered to buy the car as is for a Father Son project of sorts. We ended up saving the car from being parted out and brought her home to begin the repair process.

p2075188_4.jpg

Insurance totaled the car due to the age of the vehicle and market value. There was no serious frame damage and we ended up replacing these parts:

- Hatch
- Tail Lights
- Bumper & Bumper Cover
- Gas tank
- 3 Piece Factory Spoiler

p2075188_5.jpg

That was about it. The rest was paint and body work to clean up the scuffs, dents, and scratches. Upon completion of the restoration we ran into harness issues. The car refused to start despite us not having touched anything related to the engine or harness. My Dad and I were stumped and to be honest we almost gave up at one point. It was then we remembered we had a spare engine harness tucked away in our attic full of Supra parts. Long story short with a little bit of modification and a few long nights we got the new harness in and the car passed inspection allowing it to be registered again as a street car.

p2075188_6.jpg

(Me far right lol)

The next few years 2009-2012ish were just blissful for me. The local SoCal Supra scene was at it's strongest and we went to every show, meet, get together posssible. I am grateful for all the friends and Supra fam I meet in the process and I owe it to that common bond we all share, the love of Supras. Several years went by with the pace of meets and get togethers slowing down. In late 2013 I met my girlfriend, Dez, a fellow Supra owner in need of help getting her car running again (A80). I was working at a Toyota dealership at the time and was approached by a friend since I could get a decent discount for the parts needed in the car's repair. I figured I had no one to really help me in my time of need and if I could change that for one person before leaving this planet I could be at peace. I went into it blindly, all I asked for was some Coronas in spirit with the oldschool style I was used to. We hit it off and have been together since.

p2075188_7.jpg

This brings my story closer to current times. In January of 2015 I was on my way to military duty, I am a reservist in the Marine Corp, and there was classic Cali winter weather going on: cold and rainy. I wrecked my car at around 4AM in the morning. I was simply commuting to work and wasn't messing around or pushing it. I had been driving for 8 years at this point with no accidents or tickets, not even close to getting pulled over either. It was a back country, one lane in either direction road with the first rain of the season. I still to this day am left with more questions than answers. Did I do something wrong? Could I have prevented it? What if I didn't hit the tree stopping me from a huge drop off a ledge? The wreck hit me hard to be honest. To wreck the one thing that has brought me so much joy was a tough pill to swallow, something I still deal with till this day.

[video=youtube;5jGD_rM0JAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGD_rM0JAA[/video]

p2075188_8.jpg

My Supra was exceptional for me in the 7-8 years of daily driving it, so parting her out is now far out of my mind. She deserves better than that. Never gave me issues, BHG, or left me stranded. It has proven to me that all the BHG horror stories I'd heard growing up were just grown men unable to come to terms with their own errors. After all it is MUCH easier to blame an inanimate object than yourself.

This was the car the day of the wreck before I had time to take a pressure washer to her. My signature image shows the before.

p2075188_9.jpg

I cleaned her up and started removing broken parts and panels where I could to assess the damage. My carbon fiber hood was astoundingly in one piece and saveable. The hood just like most of the parts on this car have personal history attached to them, it came off of my Dad's Supra and we restored & painted it as it was just sitting in our garage for years.

During the wreck I lost traction on a gradual right hand turn doing about 35MPH(posted limit was 45MPH). As I mentioned earlier the weather and environmental factors were not in my favor so I was going at what I thought was a safe pace simply commuting to work. The back end started to slide out in a clockwise direction, when I attempted to correct this with counter steer and letting off the gas the car went counter-clockwise immediately. I traveled a good 50-60FT completely horizontal taking up both lanes before crashing through a barbed wire fence, going down a grass embankment about 15FT, and finally coming to rest with the passenger side rear wheel taking the full weight of the Supra. It was dark and early morning when this happened, it wasn't until sunrise I realized how serious the damage and outcome could've been. As you'll see at the end of the vid in the first post I was stopped by a downed tree that was already there which acted as a buffer keeping me from falling off a easily 30FT drop. I'm still a little messed up to this day knowing how close it really was.

Damage assessment upon initial inspection:
- Passenger side rear wheel hub and wheel.
- Front fenders and bumper.
- LED headlights damaged.
- Frame damage to both front rails.
- Paint on entire car whipped by barbed wire.

The car is totaled, AGAIN, and I am left with big decisions to make regarding my future with it. I contemplated parting it out and getting out of the Supra scene, but I remembered all of the friends I made along the way and good times we've had. I ultimately decided to rebuild her again. I started the slow process of gathering the parts needed to complete such a task. I was approached by my good friend Nick Stonawki (2JZUL8R), I call him uncle Nick lol, who I had known since I was a kid. He recommended me to a a local shop that could help me out as well as offering his input on how to bounce back from this setback better than ever. I gathered my parts and dropped off the car at AK1 Motorsports in Montclair California in summer of 2015. The car has been there since and this is where the build portion of this topic comes in.

p2075188_10.jpg

Amazingly there was no serious engine damage other than my radiator support being knocked up and back a little throwing my radiator out of alignment. The car still turned on after the initial wreck and I honestly thought I could drive out of it, when day hit I saw the extent of the true damage but was proud of the brute 7M. Not only that, 6 months later when it came time to transport her to AK1 Motorsports she fired right up first try. The engine was pulled and work began.

p2075188_11.jpg

The car was sent to a frame shop after the engine pull. This allowed us to see if she was even saveable. They pulled back what they could and good news came back with her, AK1 welded up/repaired the frame and buckled engine bay portions.

p2075188_12.jpg

With the help of Aaron over at Driftmotion a new core support was sourced and fitted to the car. Big thanks for that man! Progress was literally halted up until this point.

p2075188_13.jpg

Cuts were made in the radiator support as well as having the lower cross member widened slightly. This will accommodate my new radiator and intercooler.

p2075188_14.jpg

And finally an initial parts pic of what is actually going back into the car. I chose the Chasebay's 14" Tucked Aluminum radiator for JZ series engines. I chose this radiator because of the compact size and successful use in many JZ swapped 240SX's. Dimensions: 27 1/8" x 13.5" x 3" double pass design with -16AN coolant inlet/outlet. The inlet and outlet will be chopped off and -20AN hardware will be welded to the radiator and engine sides. Fans pictured are standard Mishimoto fans.

I am not going for a full show car so I am having to make budget decisions in regards to parts chosen etc. I have never been one to take on sponsorships as I feel you lose your car in a way when doing that not that I frown upon those that do so, just preference. What you see is simply a kid at heart trying to restore his pride and joy. This wont be a huge power build as I never aspired for that, I prefer the driving experience as whole. I'm hoping finally posting the progress up in full will motivate me to keep at it, it's been in the dark for about a year up until now as have I.

I will be updating this topic as work progresses on the car. For now I leave you with this, I figure those interested will know where it is going, as the title suggests:

p2075188_15.jpg

All in the pursuit of happiness and to separate from the masses.

Last edited:

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
akito;2075216 said:
Read your post on SF! Good luck with everything man!
Enraged;2075217 said:
Cool, looking forward to more updates.
lithium14;2075222 said:
Subbed! Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! :bigthumb:

Today marks a significant milestone in the rebuild. The chassis is repaired completely and ready for the new parts to be bolted down. The R&D process was expedited thanks to all the prior research and notes I was able to give the shop along with their own ingenuity, mock-ups, pictures, and a lot of good communication. I guess all those late nights spent on Supra websites paid off!

Here is how the car currently sits, 2016/05/19. Primed, reinforced, and ready for engine bay paint prep:

p2075246_1.jpg

I picked up the engine to give it a little loving and prep for the new setup as it hasn't really been touched since the accident except for removal. I also dropped off my radiator and -20AN hardware at FSR Motorsports so they can weld everything up for better flow.

p2075246_2.jpg

With the chassis stuff taken care of AK1 Motorsports can now move to the next stage which is bodywork while the engine is being worked on separately. I forgot to mention that this wont be a simple repair and light engine overhaul, the car is slated to undergo very extensive bodywork. Prior to wrecking the car I had accumulated a significant amount of A70 aero and other bits. Wrecking the car obviously put that on hold, ironically the parts I had collected will be able to be used as replacement parts for certain panels which were destroyed. The engine bay will be repainted and all my panels will start to be installed, upon completion the engine will be ready and waiting to be dropped in.

I will be keeping the specifics of the bodywork to a minimum for now until there is some progress started. All in all everything is going smoothly.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I've been creeping your Instagram every month or so, hoping to see progress.
Glad this car is on the path to recovery. It will defiantly be unique

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
GC89;2075248 said:
Also following on SF, glad to see more updates

AbsoluteSpeed;2075485 said:
I've been creeping your Instagram every month or so, hoping to see progress.
Glad this car is on the path to recovery. It will defiantly be unique

Thanks guys!

daledoe;2075664 said:
To bad u weren't born in the Supra!! Nice work I like :D

I can't imagine that being particularly comfortable lol! :biglaugh: Thanks!

**Updates**

I spent the past week cleaning up the engine on & off. Took 4+ hours to de-grease the exhaust side thanks to a leaky power steering hose. I also removed parts that wont be needed as they will be replaced by new components as well as having some of the parts I need for the V-Mount reworked/modified.

FSR Motorsports in Montclair California welded up my ChaseBay's radiator with the new -20AN bungs, up from -16AN.

p2075704_1.jpg

FSR also welded and modified my thermostat housing with a -20AN bung. It is being rotated 180 degrees to help keep coolant lines running in an efficient manner. Seen here with the turbo mocked up, I pulled it off for cleaning and refinishing the paint. It's a simple 57 trim upgraded CT-26 I had Driftmotion upgrade a while back.

p2075704_2.jpg

I stopped by Driftmotion the day I picked up my parts at FSR and picked up a Driftmotion 80MM throttle body for the new intake manifold setup.

p2075704_3.jpg

I also mocked up some parts I had collected to get measurements for harness edits and new belts: Alternator Relocation Bracket, Dritmotion 140 AMP Alternator, and the Driftmotion Pulley Kit. Doing this research now will help expedite the fab work for the front facing intake manifold as the work space will be readily available.

p2075704_4.jpg

(GENUINE Honda Parts! lol :lol:)

All in all things are going well. The chassis is still awaiting engine bay parts removal for paint and having a new rear passenger side hub installed, I cracked it the wreck. After that panel installation and body paint. I'm taking my time to clean and inspect what I can while I await news regarding the lower radiator hose connection on the engine side. We couldn't weld the -20AN bung directly as it is a part of the engine's front plate, that would entail removing the head. Aaron at Driftmotion is helping me sort out a solution for this. My priority is to get the car done body wise, engine installed and running enough to get it home then finish up the fab work for the V-Mount.

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
Raggan;2075714 said:
nice build m8

supraguy@aol;2075747 said:
Cool story, cool build.
Glad to see that not everything is JZ these days.

Thanks guys!

I actually came VERY close to doing a 2JZGTE swap (just because lol) and calling it a day but have had great times with the 7M. Never ran into any of the classic issues most seem to have. I can only attribute that to it never having blown before and the previous owner taking the proper precautionary steps to avoid calamity. I even went as far as buying a 2JZ longblock which has been sitting in my garage for a while now. When the day came to take her to the shop and she fired up first try keeping this 7M was a sealed deal in my book.

** Minor Updates **

I have continued to pull off, clean, inspect, and reinstall what I can. I'm using the engine being out as a good opportunity to take care of some maintenance items like belts, leaky seals, and most likely clutch.

Here is how the engine currently is, I refinished the valve covers and exhaust manifold heat shields in black. The valve covers were admittedly a little rushed on my part, I'll be changing them further down the road.

p2076004_1.jpg

I also picked up this little beauty as I couldn't resist the chance to own my personal favorite exhaust. It's not the biggest, loudest, or best out there (I know) but as I said before and will continue to say I am not building for huge power. I just want what feels good to me and makes me happy, the owner.

HKS Carbon TI
p2076004_2.jpg

Those "I only have to buy this once for my car" buys are the best feeling purchases IMO! :D

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
Aku;2075704 said:
I can't imagine that being particularly comfortable lol! :biglaugh: Thanks!

It would be fine! Back in the day we drove around from sk8 spot to sk8 spot with five people and a bunch of skateboards in my friend sam's 89 supra :D

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
HKS_TRD;2076068 said:
Enjoying the updates
Keen to see the solution for adapting the water pump inlet to a -20 fitting
Keep up the great work
Thanks! Aaron over at Driftmotion has been very helpful as far as finding a solution. For now we figured we could just make a threaded adapter piece that the -20 fitting/bung can be welded too then tap the lower engine side and seal it. The only alternative was removing the head to get the front plate off and essentially redoing the head gasket which is something this specific engine has never had an issue with, I do however plan on upgrading to a metal gasket later on. The current setup is perfect for what I want out of the car as I never aspired for huge power and still don't, not that there is anything wrong with those builds as I truly admire them from a different perspective.

Long overdue update.

Progress has been steady on both my end and the shop's end. I find myself often getting caught up in my work and forget to take as many pictures as I'd like for documentation purposes. Guess it'll also be something nice to look back on once I'm older and my "tuner's back" develops to chronic levels lol. I'm only 26 but it comes with the territory of being around Supras as long as I have(especially A70's lol).

When I last left off I mentioned using the engine being out as an opportunity to replace what may otherwise be difficult to get to if it was installed in the car. No major issues were found upon initial inspection. Before the car came into my ownership the previous owner, Mike Bringle/Cygnus, and my Father had for some reason suspected a possible rear main seal leak being an issue further down the road.

This is what I found upon removal of the transmission. A slightly dirty from normal use Fidanza flywheel, pressure plate, and TRD clutch.

p2080889_1.jpg

The rear main was still intact, along with a perfectly serviceable pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate you name it. A comment was made that I am either very competent as far as driving a manual car under normal conditions(it's my first car keep in mind) or I just drive like a grandma :rofl: I tend to believe the latter lol. Clutch was going on 8 years of my daily driving use up until I wrecked the car so I was left with the choice of replacing it anyway with the ACT clutch I have or reusing the TRD.

p2080889_2.jpg

I opted for the "clean slate" approach, the clutch has been replaced with the ACT clutch, replaced the rear main seal, pilot bearing, and clutch release bearing. And yes I did take it upon myself to give the seal housing a light polish, no one will ever know it's there but I'll know. While I did this my girlfriend Dez helped me out cleaning up the flywheel while I explained what parts do what.

p2080889_3.jpg

Gotta say it feels surreal knowing she's genuinely interested in learning for her own knowledge and benefit. The things and skills I'm going over with my car in this stage at least with the transmission will be applied to her A80. A car she's had a true interest in and owned even before all the Fast & Furious and car girl social media BS just because it appeals to her.

p2080889_4.jpg

Dez' handiwork, she said she wanted to polish the flywheel because it was fun and she found my "I'll know" it's polished philosophy funny. :D

Here's some before & after of the tranny cleanup. First picture is after being sprayed down & soaked with degreaser, all the grime from almost a decades worth of driving. Our pressure washer really earned it's keep here.

p2080889_5.jpg

p2080889_6.jpg

At this point all there is left to do is bolt everything back up and take the engine to Driftmotion to have the lower coolant bung pressed/tapped in, then drop it off over at AK1 Motorsports for reinstallation and final fitment & mounting of V-Mount components, body & wheel customization, and paint. I'll then take the car back and have all the new IC piping, intake manifold and other bits installed and/or fabbed. Luckily I have the majority of these parts already. What I can't install or make myself will be done at any one of the reputable shops mentioned prior in this topic.

I will end this long update with some pictures of what has been going with the chassis over at AK1 Motorsports. They've been great with really listening to my input regarding what I want and do not want for this car.

p2080889_7.jpg

p2080889_8.jpg

p2080889_9.jpg

Wider baby, smile and you've just made a million.

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
HKS_TRD;2080920 said:
What thread size did you tap into the side of the motor, do you have any close up pics of the adapter set-up?
I'll be sure to get all the info and specs on the setup upon completion, I just remember the sizes were huge and the clearance was very close as the neck is rather thin. Ideally I would remove the head and front plate and weld it on directly which is something I am considering for peace of mind when the time comes to do internal work further down the line. This alternative was first brought to my attention by Aaron over at Driftmotion. We had our concerns about welding it on with everything assembled as the heat generated in the process could potentially damage the surrounding components. The alternative presented will get the car going for now and will be the only point to/from the radiator to the engine that isn't welded.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Props for fixing this supra twice! Looks like a fun build. I've used one of those 80mm throttle bodies before. I'm not sure if the one from DM is different but it looks exactly the same as the eBay ones.
I had problems with the shaft leaking and binding on mine causing an erratic idle. Switched to a q45 and the car drove much better.
The vmount setup is cool. One thing to keep in mind is thickness of the intercooler vs the radiator. I found on mine because I had a thicker ic mounted above the rad The radiator had much more flow through it which caused lift on the front end of the car.
Had to build a divider plate between the two in order to force more out the hood. My core was 4.5" thick though so you might not have the need.
Look forward to see how this turns out!

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
dslocal;2081712 said:
Props for fixing this supra twice! Looks like a fun build. I've used one of those 80mm throttle bodies before. I'm not sure if the one from DM is different but it looks exactly the same as the eBay ones.
I had problems with the shaft leaking and binding on mine causing an erratic idle. Switched to a q45 and the car drove much better.
The vmount setup is cool. One thing to keep in mind is thickness of the intercooler vs the radiator. I found on mine because I had a thicker ic mounted above the rad The radiator had much more flow through it which caused lift on the front end of the car.
Had to build a divider plate between the two in order to force more out the hood. My core was 4.5" thick though so you might not have the need.
Look forward to see how this turns out!

I appreciate your insight! My main reasoning for even posting this build up was for archive purposes for whoever may find it useful. I realize things have changed compared to back in the day and people tend to keep their information secretive. Having a dialogue regarding the R&D is a great way to breathe new life into the community IMO. I will report back any findings as time goes on. :thumbup:

New year, new updates. This thing is far from dead even if it is crawling along like a zombie:lol:. I recently checked out of my unit and have some great opportunities lined up so it'll be all hobby funds on deck going towards the Supra. With that said being a full civilian again feels odd to say the least lol.

The crew over at AK1 Motorsports have been diligently working on the body over the past few months while I finish up some things with the engine and source parts that need replacing. Here is where the Supra stands as of this month.

p2087811_1.jpg~original

The rear quarter panels were cut, pulled, flattened out, and welded up. This option was chosen over simply "amputating" the excess metal. Having it done this way offers a small layer of protection/shielding should the car ever bottom out. Better to hit metal over a composite was the idea.

The inner fuel door area was also cut, removed, and grafted onto the new quarter panels for a factory like finish. There will be no sunken in fuel door here.

p2087811_2.jpg

Here is the initial mock-up of the quarter panel, not fitted permanently yet. The factory latch assembly was tweaked for the added distance and it functions as normal even at this stage. The fuel tank filler neck is to be cut, welded, and adjusted to avoid any clearance issues with standard gas station fuel nozzles.

The objective with this build is to make the wider panels look close to factory and seamless, the A80 TRD wide body was an inspiration for this as us A70 guys don't have that option. I was very adamant about everything being seamless, no rivets, and a factory look despite going against current trends(call me oldschool lol). With that said the front/rear bumpers along with the areas surrounding the wheel have been extended to line up with the new wider panels.

p2087811_3.jpg~original

The passenger side was the first side to see work as it is more intricate with the fuel door. The driver side will go much quicker from what I was told. The front wide fenders will be modified and strengthened by using the stock metal fender mounting points and grafting them to the new fenders. It may not prevent catastrophic failure but should help alleviate any bolt/fastener related spider cracks.

I am optimistic and shooting for SIV 2017!