Subwoofer options?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Well, I already have 2 10 inch Pioneers, but the targa absolutely will not fit (not much else will fit back there anyway...) and was really looking to upgrade and downsize lol. I was hoping to go to a 12 inch ported with room to stow the targa. It would be icing on the cake to be able to blow away my friends system, although I don't really see that happening. He has an alpine type r, with some MTX amp powering it, full infinity kappa speakers with their kappa amp powering them. It sounds amazing to say the least.

Anyway! I really like the Rockford Fosgate P3D4 12, but I wasn't sure of the mounting depth on it. It's 6.66 inches, And I just don't think theres that much room between the targa and the back seats. Then again, I don't have the brackets, and I've never had a targa in the back before.. So I could be mistaken.

If someone with a targa would like to drive around with the roof off, then take some measurements just so I can get an idea of where the targa sits and how much room I have, it would be much appreciated! Or anyone with a sub that fits the targa could give me their dimensions and how much room they have to play around with, that would also be much appreciated.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The thread right below this one has a really good option.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?167738-Outstanding-subwoofer-for-the-targa-guys

If you're looking to go bigger and keep targa storage you will probably need to consider either a spare tire delete or, more extreme, a back seat delete. And to get the most out of either of those you will need a custom box. If you're looking for a quality ported sub I recommend JL audio, something in the W3 range is usually sufficient. If you're looking to showup your friends then something in the W6 or W7 range would get the job done. But again it would need to be accompanied by a custom box especially as you get into the 12 inch range for targa fitment.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Premade just isn't me. I already have the mdf, I just need the woofer.

I'd love to have a w7, but thats WAY outta my price range.. hah

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Then I highly recomend the W3. As long as you can afford a quality amp to push the thing. That is actually more important than the sub. And wattage isnt everything. Ive seen a 250 watt amp hit harder than a cheap 1000 watt amp simply becaue the 250 watt amp could maintain control of the sub. But if you're comftorable making your own box then you probably already know this. Go with a Jl Audio 12inch W3 on a 500 watt mono block JL amp, in a custom enclosure that takes advantage of the spare tire well.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'd really like to keep my spare tire.. I guess that's just me, haha. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the wood floor just to the right of the spare tire, and putting the box there (all the way to the subfloor). Maybe that could give me enough room for the W3 or the Rockford Fosgate?

Also, is there really any advantage to a DVC over a SVC? I mean, other than being able to switch impedance levels... The reason I ask is the W3 is a SVC, that can handle 500w RMS, while the Rockford Fosgate I mentioned earlier is a DVC which can handle 600w RMS..

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
There have been ones done like you're mentioning, and there are images of it floating around the forum I just can't remember where.

And honestly the big deal with DVC vs SVC is the flexibility with impedance levels. It was more of a big deal when you had amps that couldn't handle some of these insanely low impedances. Though it does still give some more flexibility in multi-sub setups. That said the W3 does come in both SVC and DVC verities.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
im running a 12 inch rocksford fosgate p3d4...that thing damn thumps.
i have my amp turned almost all the way down and the stereo on like 2 and its still too loud sometimes lol

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I guess the only thing that would bother me about it is how its off to the side. Messes with my damn ocd haha.

To the guy with the p3d4, do you have a Targa?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
yes I do I have my sub right behind the rear seats under the hatch
I can no longer lift up the peice of soon over the wheel well though XD
idk if that's a problem to you..

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
That's why I have a cheapo black and decker 12 volt drill. Top comes off in 10 seconds!

And it would seem the only way to keep the Targa stowage, spare tire, and back seat would be to put the sub to the right of the spare

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I didn't need any extra space in the back and I'm running a 12 inch that puts out more than enough bass and tickles my ear drums.
you only need one sub in a hatch due to the shape the sound bounces off the back window to the front unless you just want enough bass to over power your music

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
BryanDyer;1946659 said:
here's mine

I'd ask various questions.. But it's obvious the targa doesn't fit lol. If I can sell my current setup, I'll most likely be going with an Alpine Type R 10 inch or 12 inch. Haven't really decided yet. Either option yields 1000w RMS, which will be more than enough bass to overpower my music... I love having that overhead lol