Sub $ Amp Hookup Help!!!

N87Turbo

Feb 10, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
I have 2 10" rockford fosgate subs and a rockford fosgate 60x2? amp, I have already built a sub box but I have no Idea how to wire everything up, I have zero knowledge when it comes to electronics. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out and draw up a simple diagram of were the wires hook up to and what type of wiring I need, size and length.
The car is a 1989 Supra Turbo, will the stock head unit/cd player work with this setup?

N87Turbo

Feb 10, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
I have an aftermarket head unit but I didn't want to install it unless I had to.
Heres a picture of the amp
p1074442_1.jpg

on the back it says
Rockford Fosgate punck 60x2 (trans-ana) mosfit amplifier
30 watts RMS continous power per channel into 4 ohms with less than 0.05% total harmonic distortion from 20-20kHz.

For Bridged Mono Wiring
Connect 4ohms mono woofer +to L+ of amplifier and mono woofer -to R- of amplifier. Amplifier will operate mono/stero simultaneously.

heres a picture of one of the subs
p1074442_2.jpg

all it really says on the back of the sub is
RFZ1810
8 Ohms

As for model numbers all I have is the numbers on the bar codes if that correct. Amp is 81P286I023882, Sub is 0016283641-02

The guy I bought it from had it hooked up in his car, I never got to hear it before he took it out.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Agree with Justin on that. the subs will have to bet set up in parallel to drop them to 4 Ohms and if you don't know what your doing its going to 1 sound like crap and 2 sound like crap. do you have an enclosure for the subs?

N87Turbo

Feb 10, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
Yes I have an enclosuer for the subs, I would have the local sound shop hook them up but I know a couple of people that took there cars there and ended up starting on fire, Im not risking that. I thought I could get the help and info on here to do it myself and learn something.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Ok, do me a favor and take another pic of the amp, but move the camera back about 10 more inches, way too blurry!

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
1.Running you amp/subs off your stock head unit will work but is not your best option due to very poor sound quality.
2. Your amp will power your subs, but they will not run at optimal capacity due to the small continuous wattage of the amplifier. Your amp is better suited for a pair of co-axial speakers.
3. If you still decided you want to hook it up, assuming you install that after market deck (why wouldn't you?), go to Walmart and buy an amp. wiring kit. The 8 gauge kit should do just fine (it will cost you 25 bucks). This kit will come with everything you need to install an amplifier in your car: RCA's (run from after market head unit to amp), 8 gauge wire (run from battery, with included fuse, to amp.), Remote lead (small wire, usually blue, run from deck to amp, this tells the amp when to turn on) ground wire (also 8 gauge, needs a solid connection to the thickest metal you can find, closest to where the amp will be mounted, don't hit your gas tank please!!:nono:) and a few other odds and ends. Along with all the cool new installation accessories you will get some half-assed instructions on how to do it! Follow them and you will probably end up with subs that actually work!
4. While at Wally World pick up the dash kit for your supra for your after market deck (15 bucks) and a car specific wire harness (8 bucks) this will allow you to install that deck you have (also pick up 15, 16-20 gauge butt connectors to crimp your wires together). Match the colors on your new wiring harness with that of your after market deck, and assuming you do it correctly (really not that hard) you will have a working CD player.
5. If any of this sounds to difficult (even though it is rather straight forward and pretty easy), then consider yourself f*&cked and take it somewhere to get installed.
Good Luck!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Ahh yes, before you attempt an install you might want to consider replacing the amp... So that you can actually turn the volume up a little bit before the thing overheats and shuts on and off... DONT be afraid to do an amplifier install despite what anyone says. Its only a basic amp and subwoofer set up. You just have to plan it out, Like were you are going to run wire thru.... Be patient and do thing rights and double check all your work. Get a cheap tester and make sure that you are getting voltage, with that said use tester to also see if you have made a propper ground. You dont need an expensive amp at all for those subs but it is better to replace it. If you are planning and willing to do this. I will go ahead and take pictures of what to do and how to do it on my supra... Its not hard but make sure you get all the equipment needed. Also Wal -Mart is not a good place to buy amp kit nor dash kits... Theyre kits have to be built wich is time consumming and will only leave you with a loose aftermarket deck... My advice is Look for a Local Flea Market... Some guys in these fleas actually have licences and buy from Metra... There get the right kit for your car and harness. You just have to remove stereo and pop kit in.. Cant be easyer... There you can get 8 gauge wire or 4 gauge wire amp kit.. Those will be cheap and will do the Job... Just Plan it out.... and see if you are capable of it. If you need amp recomendations just let me know and ill send you some links...