Stutter/Smoke/Sludge

89Slowpra

Mar 31, 2011
Pocono Lake, PA
So i just got another supra, but this time it was delivered so i had no chance to test drive. I allowed the engine to warm up before the test. On the way to a gas station it was stuttering above 3k, the temp rose to 3/4 FAST, and i started to smell burning rubber (or oil. he did mention a SMALL oil leak from the oil pan gasket, and it was angles nose up on the truck for 14+ hours.. enough time for oil to work its way to tranny or exhaust??). After that i noticed a faint smoke trail from the rear so i pulled over. Smoke started bellowing from the hood vents so i popped it. The smoke was coming from behind the engine and i noticed this hose: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/bork1187/20110528193423.jpg was leaking. He said the power steering return line is dried and cracked and im only familiar with the GE, so i dont know if that is what it is. The engine temp in the bay would equate to 8 hours plus of highway driving mid summer.. yes it was that hot. I sat there and waited to pop the radiator cap to check coolant levels. After 5 minutes I turned it expecting a pop and release of gas and pressure (good sign), but there was nothing (BAD SIGN). When i finally got it off it was full of brown sludge and so was the top of the core inside. The overflow was nearly full and was also filled with brown murky sludge. Oil level was fine. I instantly thought BHG, but he says its a cometic with arp bolts, and i didnt notice any leaking from around the block. Its hard to hear any engine sounds over the squeal of bad belts so i can't help there. Car is in a nearby lot and i'll go back out tomorrow. I dont have compression tools to test for bhg so il have to get that. Any incite is welcome.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just because it might have a comectic that really isnt saying much. Was it done properly? Were the arp's re torqued to make sure they were done right and havent started backing out?

He did the hg but didnt flush the coolant system? SO all that sludge is in the entire cooling system. Could be why it over heats. SLudge will clog a radiator quick.

IS the car even nice? Or is it because its cheap with mods?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
First i'd say flush the whole system. Doesn't matter that the car was at an angle'd trailer, shouldn't have done anything. I'd be asking the seller some questions.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
the hose you took a picture of is a coolant line, leaking line = leaking coolant = overheating. As for the sludge it may have not been flushed out properly after the hg. Flushing with a water hose as most people try to do at their house is not good enough to get all the sludge out.

Fix the coolant leak and take it to a shop, have them do a pressure test on the cooling system and a cylinder head test ie co2 test on coolant. If it tests good have them flush the system and put toyota red coolant in it.

The running rough could be from lots of factors, one being coolant blowing from the hose that is leaking into the valley of the valve covers. So pull the plug wires you can get to and look for coolant or oil in the spark plug area. Could be bhg but I always leave that for last after testing the car properly because I have a feeling a lot of head gaskets are replaced on supras and they don't need to be.