Stumped on power loss and no BOV sound(updated 8-11)

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
Well after a hard running night on the LAST launch before i hit home my 88 turbo started sounding weird i used to have a little "whistle" low speed (exhaust leak maybe?)that is totally gone now. The exhaust tone is a noticeable difference i cant describe it but it is just different. I cant boost and i can hear the turbo well but i just loose power nothing happens feels like a 4 cylinder really and i have a Bosch 110 couple weeks old and i checked that it is still working, it makes no whoosh sound like normal. any ideas i blew an intercooler pipe off but put it back on and it didn't help at all. I am stuck 3k miles on rebuild TPS Timing and CPS all in spec. 2.5" cat back cone filter MBC. any ideas :1zhelp:

Last edited:

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
Does it sound like a bad boost leak? I have a day off tomrrow would like to get it running again :) any of the symtoms i mentioned match anythign else? i have serched but cant find anything but BHG threads :nono:

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
Yes i checked codes none whats so ever. i have not boosted hard enough or i am not sure if an MBC would affect the code 24 i think over boost? glad to hear opinions for a boost leak i just was afraid it was something very serious

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
It didnt damage the wastegate actuator and stay open did it? Boost leak seems most likely but if the waste gate is stuck open at all it wont build boost of blow off either.

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
redid all my intercooler pipes inspected them and pressure tested them put lower hard pipes on and i still have the same problem. the car will over heat at idle, clutch fan working fine. there is a sound like leaking air somewhere near the fan but not around the IC pipes i cannot locate it though. It feels like a have a boost leak i am not pulling any codes nor hiting fuel cut

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
If your car is overheating at idle you have another problem on your hands. Pressure test the cooling system also to see if you have any leaks too and see if the rad is plugged up, or air in the system. Dont want to jump right to a bhg on a rebuilt motor.

Since you have no boost leaks in your piping (hoping you checked with boost leak tester), check the waste gate actuator to see what pressure it opens at. A weak diaphram wont let the turbo spool up since the exhaust will just simply push the wastegate open since it cant hold the pressure back. Take a look and see how much play the shaft on your turbo has because that will play a factor in the slow to boost or no boost area.

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
I now have full hard pipes on new intake manifold gaskets and new couplers i also do not hit fuel cut, would think i can rule out boost leak. As of now turbo can spin freely not alot of shaft play. You can hear it spool up very clearly and quickly but i get no boost and i run very rich u can smell the gas when i SHOULD be in boost. No power is made what so ever and no sound of the BOV which works fine. How can i check the wastegate or is it pointing at another problem? If it matters it ran the same with and without a boost controller was at 10 psi with mbc