stubborn oil galley plug

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
I need some tips on how to remove the oil galley plug from my block. I am currently attacking it with a #5 screw extractor (easy out). Today I have broken two tap wrenches from ace hardware. The first was a medium size 10" handle which snapped on my first attempt. I returned that and got a huge 18" handle which lasted a few tries. Now it too is broken. I am going to get 2 pairs of vise grips and try again.

p672443_1.jpg

p672443_2.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
[Michael Jackson music in the backround...]

That bolt is really stuck- it's simply not fair-
It's supposed to be removed but it don't seem to care
You better hit it up with more than just cold air, so-
Heat it. Just heat it.

I'm sorry- I was bored.
ANYWAY- Use a propane torch to warm it up

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
thanks, I'm definitely bringing out the torch.
Vice grips didn't work either. Just bent the teeth on the jaws. If heat doesn't work, I'm drilling a bigger hole and getting a bigger extractor.

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
Update:
I was able to get the plug out - with a lot of effort.
Cranking on it with a 2.5 ft breaker bar didn't budge it - just broke teeth on the inside of the socket.
Vice grips didn't work - screw extractor started to round off and teeth broke on jaws.
I tried heat on the block and plug - didn't work.

I ended up drilling the plug out to 1/2" in several steps. From there I put several grooves on the inside of the plug with a dremel. I was then able to hammer the edges of the plug towards the center of the hole and remove it with pliers.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DW: Well done on beating it ;)

I try to use really good quality inhex sockets on all of the plugs as they're not very hard so a soft key and soft plug will round out in seconds :(