Stroked NA

Alan

Mar 16, 2007
Gulfport, Mississippi, United States
Here is one for you guys and I have been doing some research on this and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if it is possible to do. My goal is 350 hp at the wheels.

- 7M
- Bored .040 over
- Strocker kit/ Balanced
- Crank Knife Edged
- Stainless Valves
- Double Valve springs
- Crane Cams
- Adjustable Timming gears
- Stock turbo injectors
- Short FFIM w/ Q45 throttle body
- OBX Header
- Light Weight fly wheel

There is the list of items I was thinking of so let me know if there is somting I missed or that may not work.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
350hp at the wheels.... i don't see standalone. I don't see higher revs. I don't see massively worked head.

Not happening at 6500 rpm redline with a 3.0L NA engine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Alan;1165455 said:
Here is one for you guys and I have been doing some research on this and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if it is possible to do. My goal is 350 hp at the wheels.

- 7M
- Bored .040 over
- Strocker kit/ Balanced
- Crank Knife Edged
- Stainless Valves
- Double Valve springs
- Crane Cams
- Adjustable Timming gears
- Stock turbo injectors
- Short FFIM w/ Q45 throttle bodyBad idea
- OBX Header
- Light Weight fly wheel

There is the list of items I was thinking of so let me know if there is somting I missed or that may not work.

Figgie already started on it. Besides the stroker, which will help a ton, you need more compression, and cylinder head work. If you look at other naturally aspirated engines doing as you are hoping, like the M3, the 330 bhp is high up in engine speed. Variable cam timing makes it drivable. But you need the head to flow that well, and that kind of engine speed.

Alan

Mar 16, 2007
TurboFreak;1165593 said:
What do you plan to rev to? What compression? What duration cams?
Thats a good question because I would like to run midgrade gas. So I was thinking about running the factory red line and for the cams they are crane street cams. As for the compression ratio I do not know off hand still researching the idea, thats why I am here to help me figure out these things.

Alan

Mar 16, 2007
IJ.;1165704 said:
Not a hope in hell getting 350 without some serious compression and rpm which means good fuel.

Here is were I started with the whole idea from Import Performance Parts.net

What is our Stroker Kit?
It's 6.5mm more stroke that when added to the increased bore equals 665cc more cubes of usable power!
Our stroker kit increases torque as much as 30% and 45 Horse Power (much more can be achieved with other HP increasing accessories). This means more pulling and launching power. This can be used with factory FI or Turbos (adjustments in fuel supply may be needed).

After 4 months of Dyno Testing, our non-turbo DOHC motor produced 259 HP and 247lbs of torque. The Turbo produced 320HP and 315 lbs of Torque. Both figures were produced with only the Stroker Kit. As an option, much higher figures can be achieved with additional parts added to the engine.

So from what I getting here what I am trying to do does not sound like it is hard to do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
what's involved to install a stroker kit (what are the supporting mods)? i know its replacing the internals of the engine, but does the head need work after?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
7Mboost;1165714 said:
Maybe some nitrous? I would love see an NA 7M built for something like a crazy 300+ shot.

:naughty:

As for the OP, that is most likely crank horsepower not wheel horsepower. AJ runs more mods than you're proposing and doesn't make that kind of power. Hell I don't make that kind of power, granted I'm not running a stroker crank.

Alan

Mar 16, 2007
7Mboost;1165714 said:
Maybe some nitrous? I would love see an NA 7M built for something like a crazy 300+ shot.

Clip;1165720 said:
what's involved to install a stroker kit, and what are the supporting mods?

Here is the list
7MGE/7MGTE Stroker Kits Include:

IPP's Forged Crank
Stock Stroke (3.583", 91mm)
New Stroke (3.833", 97.5mm)
Custom Forged Pistons
(any comp & diam)
Forged Steel Pins
(see upgrade option below)
Piston Pin Locks
Plasma Moly Racing Rings
4340 H-Beam Rods
(see upgrade option below)
Toga Performance Main Bearings
Toga Performance Rod Bearings
Comes balanced

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
To make xxxHp you need to burn XXfuel this is simple physics there's no magic.

To burn more fuel with a turbo car is easy, with an NA not so much.
( a BIG hit of N2o will work)

You either need more displacement (stroker in this case) more rpm (standalone ECU) more compression (hi octane fuel and timing) along with perfect ports, valves, combustion chamber work, cams, lightweight valvetrain and so on.

ALL of which will move the powerband upwards and while this is fine in a light car the Mk3 needs low to midrange to get it moving, only way around this is low diff gears.

In the end while you may end up with 350 at the wheels it'll be a pig and will be smoked by even the most mildly modded GTE.

Ask AJ88NA about the mods he's done and the power he has after all the expense and effort.

Not trying to take a dump on your idea just trying to be realistic.