stripped threads

cmoney_kps86

Jul 13, 2008
pittsburgh PA
4 of my exhaust man bolt holes are stripped on the head ..2 are helicoiled alreadys. I've tried lock tight to see if the woud lock in again but epic fail.

My gf recomended gorilla glue !! I laugh... but the shit could be used to put a building back to gether. I've used it befor and its never faild. But for this its in the exhaust system and under gos extream heat, and the way it cures up is like a Really hard foam. Or appears that way. For as stupied as it sounds.. dose anyone think it could hold to the heat? I'm in a deperate need of a fix with out pulling the head and having it machined.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Can't you helicoil the other ones? I used the driftmotion kit on mine, and it seems to work perfectly. I've never used timeserts before but that is another option... gl.

cmoney_kps86

Jul 13, 2008
pittsburgh PA
ya i really dont want to try the glue because i know it has fail writen all over it.

and 2 of the 4 that stripped were already helicoild for the previous owner.
so that blows. and the driftmotion kit looks promising but 70 bucks??? damn kinda expensive for a 29 helicoil kit

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
DM kit well worth the money! if 70 bucks is to much for something like this maybe you should get a civic? theyre pretty cheap lol jk.. you get quite a bit with the kit plus you dont have to go looking for all the parts around town especially if youre in a small town like me that doesnt have much.. im sure you could put the kit together yourself for cheaper though.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Driftmotion's helicoil kit cost driftmotion maybe $18...they mark it up to $70...no the kit is not worth it!! Helicoils are not that expensive and I for one am not paying that kind of money when I can open up a "mc master carr" book and order the shit I need myself!

cmoney_kps86

Jul 13, 2008
pittsburgh PA
Ya I did some searching and ur right 70 is kinds bustings heads..but I'm a broke ass collage student just trying to keep it running right . I'm also in a small town and the kits are very helpfull if you can't find anything around but the mark ups for profit blow.

I've herad of timeserts, but where a good place to find them ?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Definitely DON'T use the GLUE!:nono:

As far as kits... they may be a little pricey, but ANY job under a Ben Franklin on a supra is a bargain.;)

Whatever you choose to do, I HIGHLY recommend FRESH nuts (and STUDS if possible) and make SURE you use a liberal amount of ANTI-SEIZE on the stud for the NUT END. I always make sure the bearing surface of the FLANGE on the nut ALSO gets "lubed" with the anti-seize. It's also very important that the STUD is FULLY set into the block, and doesn't hurt to be "Locktite" into the head, as you DON'T want the studs to back out when/if you remove and re-tighten the nuts.

ALSO, USE A FRESH EX GASKET, as they should CRUSH to seal, and FOLLOW THE TSRM for torque on these nuts when you replace them! Do them in a progressive torque pattern, and they will seal effectively.

I would say the number one issue with stripped EX studs in the head are due to OVER-TORQUING. This is OFTEN a byproduct of "half-assing" manifold work, with NUTS rusted to STUDS (tightening them down like a "bolt" instead of replacing) wherein your torque-force is being applied AT THE HEAD THREADS instead of STUD/NUT threads. This is why they strip! (Head base metal will ALWAYS give before the stud threads!)

This is the same principle at work with the head bolts, which should be swapped for stud/nuts from ARP. A STUD/NUT joint is FAR superior to creating a good, controlled torque clamp load, as you aren't TWISTING the fastener at the same time you are STRETCHING it (pre-loading) as you do with a bolt. (Of course, with the head to block, the block is plenty hard, but you can OVER-stretch the bolt easier than a stud/nut. Especially the STOCK bolts. Once they are "over-stretched", they are NOT going to hold clamp EVER, no matter HOW hard you tighten them!)

...end ramble...

G/L!

-crisp