Stripped Exhaust Stud

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
So I went to retorque my exhaust manifold studs yesterday because I'm just waiting for my turbo support brace to get here and I find myself with one stripped hole (stud spins). It's the second last one to the back of the engine, so I MAY be able to get in there with a drill without taking the manifold off and risk having to helicoil all of them. Should I even try doing this with the exhaust manifold on or just suck it up and take it all apart?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
suck it up, take everything off so you have easy access to all the holes, call Aaron at Driftmotion, order the SS exhaust Stud Kit, you'll never fiddle with it again. One more thing use nickle anti-seize the stud threads ann nuts after you get your manifold back on, makes future R&R much easier.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, I was going to get the driftmotion kit regardless, heard nothing but great things with it. Anyone know if it's possible to do all the holes with the engine in the car?

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
radiod;1666241 said:
Yeah, I was going to get the driftmotion kit regardless, heard nothing but great things with it. Anyone know if it's possible to do all the holes with the engine in the car?

I heard it's nearly impossible for the one by the firewall. I happen to have this kit for sale since I never used it and went 2JZ. The anti-seize and cutting fluid are also included but not pictured. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?134105-Driftmotion-7-16-quot-Helicoil-kit

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Well if it's worst case scenario then I can hold off on the one by the firewall, it's still good and strong.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i was told to use brass nuts on the exhaust studs. all of my exhaust studs have been replaced with helicoiled studs (same size as the driftmotion kit)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
The head has less than 5000 miles on it since I put it on the car, and machine shop had looked it over thoroughly before I even considered putting it on. My last head had annealed and cracked, so I didn't want to have the same thing happen twice. Since it's been put back together it's never even come close to overheating, so the integrity of the head should still be good.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it sure as hell better not be with the precautions I took and the work I JUST finished :icon_razz.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
idk if the tap will fit without hitting the manifold hole.
agree take everything off, high temp loctite the inserts and studs, and anti seize the outside thread portion.
wont have a problem ever again

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, everything's going to come off and I'm going to do all the holes. I've been looking for 90 degree drills/attachments but haven't found anything with a 1/2" chuck >_<. Drilling out a manifold gasket won't be a problem. Should I be buying a new manifold gasket or is it safe to reuse this one if it's not leaking. Less than 5000 miles on the gasket.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
Hi Guys, I'm having the same problem right now with mine only.... it seems like EVERYTHING on the hot side of the engine is striping out T.T.... (one mani stud, one thermostat housing stud, and two (yes... TWO!) of the studs on the part of the turbo elbow that connects to the downpipe.) I'm about ready to cry here... >.>.... because i have no clue of what to do with 4 striped out holes/studs on the same side of the motor in less then 5 minutes T.T... and im not even getting them tight, just small bit past hand tight and they strip right out like it's made of butter >.>.... i could cry.... i just dumped all the money i've had for the last 3 months into the this car because i need a running driving car ASAP always being just one step away from having it run... but it's always one step forward two steps back with the car and i'm reaching the end of my rope with this car... I've LOVED supras from the first time i saw a MKIV wen i was 8 or 9.... but i have to say... im REALLY start to resent this friggin car...

Any help is much appreciated... thanks... :(

Edit: (time to get crazy) Would it work if i put JB weld in the stud hole then ramed the stud in with a hammer and just tightened down the nut?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
TRDownShift;1675415 said:
Hi Guys, I'm having the same problem right now with mine only.... it seems like EVERYTHING on the hot side of the engine is striping out T.T.... (one mani stud, one thermostat housing stud, and two (yes... TWO!) of the studs on the part of the turbo elbow that connects to the downpipe.) I'm about ready to cry here... >.>.... because i have no clue of what to do with 4 striped out holes/studs on the same side of the motor in less then 5 minutes T.T... and im not even getting them tight, just small bit past hand tight and they strip right out like it's made of butter >.>.... i could cry.... i just dumped all the money i've had for the last 3 months into the this car because i need a running driving car ASAP always being just one step away from having it run... but it's always one step forward two steps back with the car and i'm reaching the end of my rope with this car... I've LOVED supras from the first time i saw a MKIV wen i was 8 or 9.... but i have to say... im REALLY start to resent this friggin car...

Any help is much appreciated... thanks... :(

Edit: (time to get crazy) Would it work if i put JB weld in the stud hole then ramed the stud in with a hammer and just tightened down the nut?
I facepalmed 4 times in here.
Facepalm 1: "i need a running driving car ASAP"
You made a bad choice if you need a reliable daily driver. Project =/= DD
Facepalm 2: "I've LOVED supras from the first time i saw a MKIV wen i was 8 or 9...."
Please tell me that first time wasn't a bright orange Supra with vinyls, NOS, and a wing that raced a certain person who lived life a quarter mile at a time.
Facepalm 3: "but i have to say... im REALLY start to resent this friggin car..."
Wait til you get a BHG.
Facepalm 4: "Would it work if i put JB weld in the stud hole then ramed the stud in with a hammer and just tightened down the nut?"
JB weld occasionally has business being used in a repair. This is not one of those times. Fix it right or fix it twice.
-AM3