Strategic planning for home invasion situation

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
12 gauge shotgun would is the best home defense fire arem, as mentionded chamber a round has its own effect. You also don't have to aim it to hut your target at close quarters, and the shot wont tend to penatrate walls and possibly kill others in the house.

If you don't want dogs/can't have them, security lights/alarms around your doors/windows will help to alert you to possibly intruders. Security doors are definitely a better choice than screen doors, and since they have to open outward it will make all but impossible for someone to take you by surprise when opening the front door.

You should also take stock in what objects are laying around that could be used to defend yourself if you can't get to your firearms.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Shotguns have to be aimed, don't kid yourself. The main advantage of shotguns is low penetration (i.e. won't shoot someone in the other room through the wall, or in the next house over), high damage, and low price of ownership.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
3 pitbulls 1 male that doesn't play any games..if you run he will bit you..if you stare at him he will bit you...hes is 95lbs all muscle..when he fights with the other male me and my dad 2 grown men cant seperate him we have to use pepper spray and tazer couldn't imagine what he would do if it where a intruder..

i am planning on getting a p-38 though in the near future...

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i keep a decoy dog(he has aged beyond the point where he would be a threat....bet he is loyal without fail.) and a Remington pump with 000 buck and no plug so i have 5 opportunities to miss before im out.... it has a 900lm strobe on the end of the barrel so i have a great view of who im aiming at...and they are blind...

also it is in plain view on the floor with the business end laying towards the door, that way it is natural for anybody coming in to grab that end....therefore aiming isnt much of an issue at close quarters. i also never have any less than three knives on me at any point. the rest of my guns are in plain sight in the gun cabinet but all the ammo is in the bedroom with me in my safe. so they might think that they are getting my weapon... but they dont have any bullets unless they planned way ahead.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
Remington 870 express 20g youth edition, first 3 shells are magnum 7 1/2 small game load (don't need it going through walls and hurting my kids) However the 4th shell is a slug just in case the first three didn't do the job. The shotgun is on the upper shelf of my closet with 4 shells in the mag, and none in the chamber but it is fired so all it needs is to be racked. That is what I use for home defense. If i am unable to get to it for some reason I probably have my pt140 on me as i have a ccw. If someone is in the house when it gets invaded and is unarmed i would suggest finding a way out of the hose without the invader seeing and calling 911. That being said I think every home should have a shotgun for security, it is hard to miss and good shotguns are rather cheap. Mossberg mavericks can be purchased for around 300 new and a Remington 870 for around 375 and 100 shells for 15 bucks. Of course if you have no firearms exp i would suggest getting some training. Of course this is a very serious subject and should not be taken lightly.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
I don't have any actual data to back this up, so take this as my personal opinion, not statement of fact (if somebody can find actual test data for this, please post it here):

I wouldn't load buckshot for my home defense because I feel that it would probably go through walls and damage/injure whatever is behind those walls. I go for birdshot instead. I guarantee your target will still be disabled, and your collateral damage is limited to one room.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i use buck, because i have thick plaster walls, i have tested buck against plaster and while it will go through it does not have much force behind it by then... i did this at the old farmstead... i placed a watermellon behind the wall and shot the wall at close range... i found all 6 balls on the other side and no mark on the watermellon about 1 ft from the wall.
the same wall with a 22cal, a 9 mil and a 45 the watermellon had a clean through wound.

as i said before the dog is the decoy(dont tell him that, he thinks he is the protector) my plan is to get out....and fight only if needed. i am quite sure with the strobe i have the upper hand because at 900lm it is blinding....and i can see to shoot.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

and for those of you that think a dog is a final defense... i own big dogs(coyotes and wolves) even at that size and with that level of bite pressure they only have one weapon at their disposal. yes collateral damage would be a sure thing but if you keep the one weapon occupied you have quite a few more weapons at your disposal...
1 you weigh more than the dog
2 if you keep your wits you are more intelligent than a dog
3 with one hand /arm down the dogs throat...most defense instructors will tell you to shove your arm as far down the dogs throat as you can....most dogs will quickly go into survival mode and out of predator mode with this alone....they need to breath as well...if they dont start kicking and punching till the dog chokes and dies. dogs are defeatable

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Greatdestroyer187;1765338 said:
Rent a small house only 1br but I got a 94lb American bulldog inside and he's always hungrey

Buddy of mine has a rather large dog, I forget what breed, but they had someone sneak into their backyard once... apparently "Bradley eats bums" was an amusing topic of discussion for a while after that event.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
fixitman04;1765529 said:
and for those of you that think a dog is a final defense... i own big dogs(coyotes and wolves) even at that size and with that level of bite pressure they only have one weapon at their disposal. yes collateral damage would be a sure thing but if you keep the one weapon occupied you have quite a few more weapons at your disposal...
1 you weigh more than the dog
2 if you keep your wits you are more intelligent than a dog
3 with one hand /arm down the dogs throat...most defense instructors will tell you to shove your arm as far down the dogs throat as you can....most dogs will quickly go into survival mode and out of predator mode with this alone....they need to breath as well...if they dont start kicking and punching till the dog chokes and dies. dogs are defeatable
Agreed. I've been attacked by a German Shepard. I have scars on my arm where he bit in - through a heavy coat, no less. However, I went for medical help afterwards, the dog is worm food.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1765619 said:
Agreed. I've been attacked by a German Shepard. I have scars on my arm where he bit in - through a heavy coat, no less. However, I went for medical help afterwards, the dog is worm food.

I was forced to kill an attack dog with my bare hands (Doberman that got outside the gate of the yard he was guarding) - one of the least pleasant experiences of my life.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The fact that people have dogs that weigh nearly as much as I do scares me enough, I'd hate to have one get loose on me if I were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Poodles;1765419 said:
Shotguns have to be aimed, don't kid yourself. The main advantage of shotguns is low penetration (i.e. won't shoot someone in the other room through the wall, or in the next house over), high damage, and low price of ownership.

People somehow expect that once the shot exits the barrel, it is already a spread the size of a sheet of paper or something. At the range of personal defense inside a building, the shot will hardly spread at all. I would assume the altercation would be sub ten feet. Granted, this is my opinion since I don't know the ballistics of the various kinds of shot but to me it makes sense.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
A good rule of thumb for standard 00 buckshot is a 1 inch +/- spread for every yard of distance from an unchoked barrell.

The Federal Law Enforcement Low-Recoil Tactical 00 Buckshot that I chamber in mine spreads about half of that.

Ninety percent self defense shootings happen at distances of less than 15 feet. At those ranges with what I chamber you're talking about a very tight pattern.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1766339 said:
The fact that people have dogs that weigh nearly as much as I do scares me enough, I'd hate to have one get loose on me if I were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Our dog is 15lbs of vicious Chihuahua and jack Russell lol
She wanted a small dog lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
te72;1766339 said:

What I'm considering for an eventual livestock/farmstead guardian dog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog

200 lbs of hairy, angry mastiff-type dog. They're bred to be human aggressive. I'm a little leery of them, it's going to take a lot of work to stay on top of them. Just kind of depends on how society goes. If it stays fairly intact, I'll stick with a Great Pyrenees. If it goes to shit, and I need something huge and human aggressive, I'll get the Caucasian Ovcharka. They WILL fuck your day up.