Strange sound when accelerating.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Might be kinda a dumb question. But I've got a lil ding ding sound that comes outta my car when I go from like 1 - 40ish ... and since it's only when I'm moving I can't really tell exactly where it's coming from, but when I put my head towards my shifter it sounds like it's about down there, I checked my driveling for a dangler but havn't found anything... I aint good at pullin' tranny's apart so hope you guys can help me figure somethin' out =(

-Neil

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Sounds like it might be a tooth missing on one of the gears. just a wild guess, cause a sound and "I think it might be coming from here" is vague as hell.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
I did the driveby, and couldn't really pin point it still...I also discovered that the noise also alows it'self to happen when I just sit in neutral and rev up to or passed 2.5.. It is kinda hard to be less vague, maybe some questions to help or somethin..

Neil

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
I'm assuming it's a broken gear which is all I can describe the sound as. I'm in confusion about why it goes away after i'm going a lil faster like I said earliar.. suppose I get to look for a new tranny...

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Hey you poke smotter, if it's in only 1st gear I would assume that the gear is shot. I have an R154 for sale, but thats not why I'm posting. You really need a little more info to get some positive feedback. Put the doob down and put some effort into pin-pointing the exact location of the noise. :icon_razz Saying it's comming from the shifter is too vague as the long shifter might actually be amplifying the sound. Just my .02
In any event, good luck. Hopefully you don't need a new trans.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
My personal favorite stock answer. New tranny....., 2000$. Ofcourse that's before we pore the rice alcohol into the mix and make it saki it to me baby. I poke the smot, I am poking @ it right now. If it were not for the 420 after your sig supraboy....., I would have been offended. But I am sure there is an unwritten rule that declares we just let this one go.:burnout:

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Guys if the car is making the sound while in nuetral it probably isnt the tranny. Its most likely something that is wrong with the motor. You do really need to describe the sound better though. Is it a metallic clang? Does the sound speed up as the rpm increase? You say that the sound starts at 2-2500 rpm, well does the sound continue if you rev the car up slowly to redline? It could be anything from an exhaust leak to rod knock with the info you've given us.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Yes it's a metallic clanging lol and it sounds hollow kinda. Not like it's hitting something solid really, it doesn't speed up with the engine it just ends up stopping at 40-45ish, I'm at school right now so I can't go do anymore tests.
It's not coming from the shifter itself i've takin it off to check, the noise stays the same either way.
The noise isn't in any particular gear, it is in all of them but it doesn't change when I shift when I press the clutch or when I put it in neutral while it's making the sound...

Last edited:

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
i am currently having the same problem. it almost sounds like a diesel motor someone told me it could be the valves not sitting right or spun a bearing. mine started this past sunday after changing my oil to systhetic. just one more thing have u been having prob. with your oil pressure.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Mine is comin' from under the car though, at first I thought it was just something gay hitting my driveline, but that don't have to be moving for it to happen. I'm gonna check if I can see exactly where it comes from after I eat here in a sec, I finally have someone to rev it for me while it makes the noise and I can check where it is. I'll keep ya posted.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
and through all those vague clues the driver is giving us, and the history of supras, im going to go out on a limb and guess its rodknock. If im wrong dont kill me its just a guess haha

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Neil....., It just dawned on me. It might be clutch chatter from a spotted flywheel causing the clutch to not seat properly= chatter. Does the ass end seem to vibrate a bit in the rear when you here the noise that sounds like your drive shaft is touching??? Hell it could be the throw out bearing gone bad. I bet you need a new flywheel and if that's what it is, the good news is you only need a new clutch. This is just my opinion and there is a reason it is free.

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Hey just "poking" fun guys. I hope your problem isn't severe, my n/a supra was on it's last leg.... so I sold her. :3d_frown:
Don't chicken out like me...... :icon_razz

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Sounds like it could be the throw out bearing your right... considering it's started making the squeak noise too when i let out the clutch -.-