Strange Rich Idle Condition

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Every so often my car develops a 10.0 reading on my AEM AFR gauge. The engine stutters and every so often dies. But if I accelerate it acts normal and AFR readings read normal as well until I go to idle again or just try to lightly push the gas pedal to maintain speed. To "fix" it I typically just need to go through 2nd and 3rd gear with at least 3/4 throttle and that seems to clear out the issue, in a sense. Typically after I've done that the car idles and drives normally.

Typically what has caused this in the past as been acceleration or heavy engine load. For example, if I would accelerate in any gear to upper RPMs with significant throttle and boost, the rich idle condition would occur.

However today it just did it after lightly cruising on the freeway and I couldn't get it to "clear out." Previous this happened and it threw an AFM code. I replaced the AFM and the problem seemed to be fixed. A week later it started doing it again.

Any thoughts on where to look?

Car specs: 2JZ-GE rebuilt with 18,000 miles on it. XS Power Turbo Kit. 7M 440CC fuel with a Walbro Pump. 2JZ-GE FPR. Running 10psi.

I do not drive the car hard often so typically this isn't an issue. However it seems to be progressing to a more frequent problem.

Thanks in advance!

Cliffs: Car runs rich idle after significant throttle but is later solved by significant throttle.

-Nick-

EDIT: I drove to the gym today and back which is only a few blocks (cold weather) and I noticed that it doesn't do it off of a cold start. But after it reaches operating temperature it goes from where it was at 14.7 to 10.0 AFR like a flip of a switch. It's now getting to where any percent of throttle when I'm getting out of first gear it's pig rich and takes a decent amount of throttle to get the AFRs to even out. Checked codes and again its 31 (AFM Signal), 34 (Turbocharger Pressure) and infamous 52.

PLEASE HELP! What would cause two AFMs to go bad in such a short amount of time? I'd hate to put another one in and ruin that one too.

This is a stupid question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but... There's no way you can clean the AFM correct? I'm pretty sure there isn't a way unless you ruin it by trying.

Thanks!

-Nick-

Last edited:

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
I was in the process of checking the O2 sensor and then I decided to check the compressor housing and found this...

p1526402_1.jpg

p1526402_2.jpg

It would make sense if the turbo was blowing out oil to get to the AFM. It could only reach it during low air velocity inside the intake pipe, IE idle, which would make sense why it would even out when I gave it significant throttle.

So... Blown turbo? lol Also the coupler on the front of the intake was completely loose. But judging my the spiral projectile of the dirt/oil/grease on the turbo, it had to come from inside.

However the car never burns smoke... Unless of course its running 10.0 AFR on idle but thats just fuel.

So no smoke, oil/grease all over the inside of the front side of the turbo... Still blown turbo?

Thanks in advance!

-Nick-