Strange noise between shifts while under boost

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The sound is difficult to describe; but, it's sort of like a swooshing/chattering type noise. Sort of flappy too. It's the same sound of the turbo makes when spoooling and it does it every time while under boost. I have the 5 speed.

My turbo does have side to side and back and forth shaft play and here's a list of my mods:

3" full exhaust
K&N fipk
Shimmed Waste Gate (hitting 10-11 on cold days)

Everything else stock.

I'm thinking that it's a combination of two things. The shaft play in the turbo and the stock BOV is failing. :dunno:

What are your thoughts...?

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, that's not good. I'm hoping to be able to get the 57 trim upgrade in the next couple of months.:naughty:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
MDCmotorsports;907259 said:
You sure you just haven't described your BOV?

Not sure. I hope that's all it is. I have a Porsche one I can put on. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow after I get my new aluminum radiator installed.:naughty:

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-read your reply. I have never heard a bov sound like this. Don't they usually make a very distinct sharp discharge type sound? If it is the bov, it's making a chattery type discharge sound.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. I'm off to nighty night. I'll check in the morning to see what you night owls have come up with. :biglaugh:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Actually, there are several distinct BOV sounds. Make a video.

That sounds more like compressor surge to me.

EDIT: Damn it, Bowser beat me

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
Its compressor surge, garranteed! my car did the same thing when i upped the boost, thought it was the stock BOV making the sound, but i changed BOV and it did the same thing. The stock valve doesnt flow enough with higher boost levels so you get compressor surge

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
Thats wierd cause my stock one did, i was running 15psi on it. i put an SSQV on it and it still did it a bit till i adjusted the spring tension on the valve. i have a FFIM if that makes a difference, but it did it with the stocker too. unless the stock BOV makes a fluttering sound....