strange fluctuating timing problem

free_couch

Feb 12, 2009
Sacramento, California
I just finished adjusting my valve clearances and while I was driving, my car almost stalled then came back, then I noticed it was missing really bad and it started to idle at higher rpms. When I got home i checked the timing and found it to be past 15 deg. I restarted the car and the timing went back to 10 deg. so I drove around the block and the engine started missing again and the timing went back to past 15 deg. The only thing I can figure is that the cps is messing up some how. I checked the resistance and the air gaps as per the repair manual and both were fine. I'm thinking it's the cps wiring but before I rewire it I'd like some other opinions.

Thanks

free_couch

Feb 12, 2009
Sacramento, California
I did jump E1 and T to check the timing, the check engine light flashes when I do that, but otherwise the check engine light is not on at all. There are no codes stored as the check engine light flashes steadily.

free_couch

Feb 12, 2009
Sacramento, California
The connector on the cps side was messed up so i replaced it by soldering in a new one, the wires and connector on the car side look worn out, I'm not sure how I would test them though.

free_couch

Feb 12, 2009
Sacramento, California
I drove the car again to try to see when it actually starts to act up. On a cold starts it seems to be fine and continues to drive ok until it warms up. It was still ok until I accelerated fast and boosted. At a stop sign the car died, i was able to immediately re-start it. Once warmed up it idles around 400-500 rpm which is a little low. I don't really think its related to the cps anymore.