Strange Exhaust Leak-Back Of Engine??

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
I have a strange exhaust leak coming near the back of the engine, what can this be? The guy working on my car said it looks like it might have something to do with the egr system (at least that is what I think I remember him saying, egr) and that the engine would have to be raised to get it at it. Argh!! Let me know, Bob

mv520

Mar 18, 2007
Midwest
egr plate. when facing the engine its on the left hand side(passenger side). behind the head. stick your hand back there and see if any of the screws are hand loose.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
i had this exact same problem with my supra after the head gasket was done..unforutanetly its a bitch to get to but there is a plate on the back of the cylinder head and it is most liekly warped so see if you can remove it and get it machined then re-install it with a gasket if available or gasket maker. goodluck

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Its probably just a bad gasket on the egr cooler plate..But like its already been said, its on the back of the head right up against the firewall.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
if you're running the stock DP Elbow, it could be the nuts came loose. all 3 of mine did. i'm replacing them tomorrow hopefully.

EDIT: i was talking about the nuts from the Turbo Elbow to DP.

Last edited:

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Yeah this is somewhere in the back for sure, I will put my hand back there to feel for the egr nuts. Can you get it at it with the motor in? Or would it have to be raised slightly?

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
i got to mine with the motor in were some people suggested that i take off the head...but i just took it off with the head and block still in the car, mine were so loose that most were not even hand tight

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Here you go. It's circled, and there are 8 bolts holding it one. You CAN get it off without pulling the head, but it's far from easy, I bought some special tools to get in there.

EGR-cooler.jpg

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Nice post grim, ive been looking for a picture of this on the forum. When I stuck my hand in just behind the corner exhaust mani bolt on the passenger side I can feel puffs of air, that has to be it. I came up with some oil too, when I stuck my hand back there. Thanks!!

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
GrimJack;933898 said:
Here you go. It's circled, and there are 8 bolts holding it one. You CAN get it off without pulling the head, but it's far from easy, I bought some special tools to get in there.

EGR-cooler.jpg

nice post is that your 7m? looks clean

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
Awhile ago I had a near stock exhaust and I had a leak near the elbow, come to find out the cats had melted and the air found a weak point in the 90. I wasn't too supra savvy at the time but just wanted to share it because it might help.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
indy_mk3;934576 said:
nice that looked like a really clean build, how did it run
Awesome. However, it was still stock internals, so last summer I collected some forged pistons, new bearings, HKS metal head gasket, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, MAFT Pro, wideband, etc, etc. The build I'm on now runs like a raped ape, and I'm only boosting to 13psi.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
haha nice a rapped ape, tell me how that goes im going with a build almost exactly like that starting this spring

Who

Supramania Contributor
Would a bad egr cooler gasket or loose egr cooler cause a oil leak that comes out of the back of the engine block? Burning oil / smoke from the back of my block on the passenger side. Stinks !! What is it with toyota and loose bolts.