Straight 30 oil for break-in

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I read the above sticky, getting ready to break in the 7m. I bought super tech universal motor oil SAE 30 from Walmart. Says designed for use where sae 30 API CF-2, CF or SJ oil is recommended. Is this correct for initial break-in? Thanks in advance

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
How do I determine whether friction modifiers are absent from the formula or not? I don't see anywhere on the back that indicates either way. Thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Do they have a web site with tech sheets?
(it would normally say on the bottle if they're in there)

The Valvoline "running in" 30 wt has had a name change to "small engine oil" recently, had me scratching my head for awhile.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I found this Walmart PDF on the internet.

* * * Section 2 - Composition I Information on Ingredients * * *

CAS Component Percent
Not Available Lube Oil Additive with Zinc Dialkyl Dithíophosporic Acid Salt, Borated Polyìsobutenyl 13
Succiníc Anhydride, Magnesium and Calcium Alkylaryl Detergents, Solvent Extracted
Mineral Oil and Alkyl Amine

Not Available Lube Oil Additive with Dialkyl Fumarate and Vinyl Acetate in Mineral Oil 2

64742-654] Petroleum Distillaies, Solvent Dewaxed Heavy Blend
64742-54-7 Petroleum Distillates, Hydmtreated Heavy Blend

Component Informatiollllnformaüon on Non-Hazardous Components:

All mineral oils used in this produethave been severely hydrotreated andŕor solvent refined. Exact composition of this
product will vary with availability of materials. All ingredients listed above may not always be included in product. The
maximum percentage of the petroleum distillate andfor residual oil blend contained in this product is: 86%

It looks like there are some form of additives. This was the only straight 30 I found at the super Walmart near me.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ.;1862854 said:
Have paged JDub, he's the best man to decipher all that ;)
(my take is there's no friction modifier in there)

Ya got lucky...I'm between flights. Heading to Tampa in a few;)

What's important is the oil contains as little viscosity modifiers as possible...that means there will be the max actual oil available to flush out crud,assembly lube, etc. Straight 30W has min VI's by definition since it is not a Multi weight. Most of those in the list are the usual additives, but I did note the presence of ZDDP (an excellent anti-wear additive)...you dont see ZDDP in oils very much any more due to current emissions requirements.

89gte - that oil will be fine to use. ;)
(keep in mind it's not going to be in the motor very long)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jdub;1862867 said:
Most of those in the list are the usual additives, but I did note the presence of ZDDP (an excellent anti-wear additive)...you dont see ZDDP in oils very much any more due to current emissions requirements.
I caught that myself, thought it was a bit strange. Everything I've read in passing on ZDDP makes it seem like you won't likely see it in oil for much longer, and a lot of the classic car guys are disappointed by this, for somewhat obvious reasons.