Stock Twins WHP???

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
I kind of new to the JZ game and I know these engines could probably stop bullets but I'm planning on running the stock twins for now to see kind of whp I can make. I was wondering is it possible to get 400 whp with stock twins with the supporting mods....3" turbo backs, downpipe and exhaust with a set of 2jz Cams and 2jz 550 injectors, MK4 Fuel pump, Big Front Mount, SAFC neo and boost controller. What kind of whp you guys think I could make with those mods on stock twins on about 13 to 15lbs..... Any Info would help... Thanks.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
350whp is about all one's going to see from those mods (nearly identical to my setup). There will be others that beg to differ, but considering the numbers I've made and seen from others, that's about it. Also, that's providing the twins are in good working condition.

That isn't considering the cams though, dunno what that adds to the equation.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've seen 330whp@16 with 550s and 2j cam. It all depends on how agressive you get with that safc. Run good gas with more fuel pressure and it gets all boss. Fwiw I try not to exceed -18% correction until I get over 5000 rpm. 13-15psi You'll be over 300 for sure maybe 310+ but why stop there? You're gonna ditch the twins right?

The main thing I've seen from the cams is they fatten up the torque curve. It carries a little higher so it translates to a little more whp but it's more fun to drive overever all. Oh yeah and I should mention all of my experience with stock twin/ecu is on 2nd gen 1jz.

Oh yeah this may help. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?135146-Whp-Boost-Cut

Last edited:

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
So pretty much I would have to ditch the twins to reach my goal between 450 to 500whp which I figured that much but I thought I could at least get about 400whp with my simple setup on stock twins. Im planning on upgrading my turbo to the 60-1 that driftmotion has then maybe I would be able to break 400 or maybe 450whp with the same setup. I just hope that it spools pretty quick. So Bascally the stock twins are pretty much good for about 300 to 350whp with supporting mods maybe a little more or less. I just want a good 450 to 500whp.

What other mods whould you guys suggest to reach my goals... I know dump the twins...

Thanks for the input...

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
Kind of overkill for the twins but if you ran a standalone and tuned with that along with a few other mods you should be able to put 400rwhp on 17-18 psi I would not go over that though, the 60-1 from driftmotion is a great turbo good for 500rwhp so you will be good with that...good luck with the 2j! hopefully I will get to getting one these days for my 88 turbo.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
88mk3supra;1660860 said:
Kind of overkill for the twins but if you ran a standalone and tuned with that along with a few other mods you should be able to put 400rwhp on 17-18 psi I would not go over that though, the 60-1 from driftmotion is a great turbo good for 500rwhp so you will be good with that...good luck with the 2j! hopefully I will get to getting one these days for my 88 turbo.
I think he's asking about a 1JZ...400rwhp is easily doable on a USDM 2JZ with BPU...not so much on a 1JZ

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
320whp at 12psi here. 16psi felt great up here in 6500' of altitude, but the boost controller was causing massive fuel cut issues, so I had to take it off in Vegas to dyno. Even on the lowest setting it was fuel cutting, so no boost controller. Stock electonics.

Ported head and BC264 cams, 320whp. Standalone well tuned, 16-17psi, and water injection... I think that would get your 400whp. Maybe... but you'd be close.

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
So if I got rid of the twins and just got a bigger turbo you guys dont think I would break 400whp the mods I already have or do I really have to get a standalone i dont think so but I'm not sure I think it can be done without a standalone breaking 400's what you think..... And I dont know much about water injection or how it works I gotta do some research on that.... All I really know is air fuel and boost.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah I've had over 400whp on stock ecu with just 92 octane. It sounds like you're looking for big powerband which is awesome. Go get a 57 trim t3/t4 or gt3076 kinda deal. Shouldn't fall off up top for 400hp. Like he said the driftmotion kit is great for this level. Standalone isn't required but it will run better at that point.

Go for it man! It'll be awesome!

Here's some inspiration:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Super small turbo on stock ecu. Drove/drifted for a year every day no probs. And that's only 15 psi.

Get a turbo man

Last edited:

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
aphxero;1661091 said:
Yeah I've had over 400whp on stock ecu with just 92 octane. It sounds like you're looking for big powerband which is awesome. Go get a 57 trim t3/t4 or gt3076 kinda deal. Shouldn't fall off up top for 400hp. Like he said the driftmotion kit is great for this level. Standalone isn't required but it will run better at that point.

Here's some inspiration:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Super small turbo on stock ecu. Drove/drifted for a year every day no probs. And that's only 15 psi.

Get a turbo man

That excatly want I need a big power band I'm not really building to race everyday but I want it to have the power of about 400 to 450whp for the streets and I want it to be reliable I just thought I can do it with the twins but I'll take your advice and go with the 57 trim that has a fast spool. I still want my supra to be streetable but with nice power...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
aphxero;1661091 said:

Here's some inspiration:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Get a turbo man

When you were running 400whp on the stock ECU did you also have a fcc or just a air fuel controller? What turbo were you using at the time?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Supraman0858;1660853 said:
So pretty much I would have to ditch the twins to reach my goal between 450 to 500whp which I figured that much but I thought I could at least get about 400whp with my simple setup on stock twins. Im planning on upgrading my turbo to the 60-1 that driftmotion has then maybe I would be able to break 400 or maybe 450whp with the same setup. I just hope that it spools pretty quick. So Bascally the stock twins are pretty much good for about 300 to 350whp with supporting mods maybe a little more or less. I just want a good 450 to 500whp.

What other mods whould you guys suggest to reach my goals... I know dump the twins...

Thanks for the input...

Btw, you know you be very streetable with a 60-1 and have a little bit of overhead too. As long as your supporting mods are straight you should never have a problem getting at least 450, and I think that's what you really want. Even if you get 450whp on a 57trim which is very doable too, next year you may want more.

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
SupraMedical68;1661344 said:
When you were running 400whp on the stock ECU did you also have a fcc or just a air fuel controller? What turbo were you using at the time?

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Btw, you know you be very streetable with a 60-1 and have a little bit of overhead too. As long as your supporting mods are straight you should never have a problem getting at least 450, and I think that's what you really want. Even if you get 450whp on a 57trim which is very doable too, next year you may want more.
Yeah your right I probably would want more speed,power and boost is addictive and you just want more 60-1 should be good because I know its good for 500+whp but does it spool up pretty quick...

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
its not 57 quick but it's pretty good.

On my 400whp I had stock ecu, 550s, safc2, hks gt30, 2j cam. I was doing some pretty aggressive stuff with that. Pulling a lot in the middle for retarded torque and running like 12.5:1 AFR AT 1.4 BAR. I was pulling correction so hard I didn't need a bcc. It was pretty on the edge and real close to knocking all the time. The turbo was small and not carrying boost all the way up so the HP was a little low for 18-20 psi. Shit was hella raw though. Had big v8 torque curve.

I have t04S 60-1 now and I love it. Lots more top end but not quite as brutal as the little guy even with 3.0l.

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
aphxero;1661429 said:
its not 57 quick but it's pretty good.

On my 400whp I had stock ecu, 550s, safc2, hks gt30, 2j cam. I was doing some pretty aggressive stuff with that. Pulling a lot in the middle for retarded torque and running like 12.5:1 AFR AT 1.4 BAR. I was pulling correction so hard I didn't need a bcc. It was pretty on the edge and real close to knocking all the time. The turbo was small and not carrying boost all the way up so the HP was a little low for 18-20 psi. Shit was hella raw though. Had big v8 torque curve.

I have t04S 60-1 now and I love it. Lots more top end but not quite as brutal as the little guy even with 3.0l.

That setup seems very aggressive something what Im looking for with stupid torque in the middle and still have plenty of power up top. But like you said even with that setup 18-20 psi 400whp is kinda low for the boost and on the edge. So u said the 60-1 gave you more up top. How much more? What numbers are you putting down and is this with the same mods?

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
Also what A/R are you running? What would be good a good A/R with the 60-1 I know the a/r give you more up top but a little less on the bottom if im not mistaken...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Supraman0858;1661519 said:
Also what A/R are you running? What would be good a good A/R with the 60-1 I know the a/r give you more up top but a little less on the bottom if im not mistaken...

I'd go with the .70 AR that's the most popular, and it's been stated before that the .58 makes the turbo somewhat anemic or lacking up top.

Also, most of the 450-500whp 60-1 users have that AR.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz60-1turbokit.php

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...e-Turbo-kit-dyno-results&highlight=60-1+turbo

This is the thread you need to read, but remember those 550's aren't going to take you to 500whp without going past 80% of the injector cycle. Also, you'll may need a second fuel pump at that point (kind of on the border of what one Walbro or MK4 pump should have to flow).

Keep in mind too, those guys are using BC264's which give you more on the highend than the USDM 2JZ cams and are running standalone...

Supraman0858

Supraman..
Dec 20, 2009
Miami FL
SupraMedical68;1661577 said:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...e-Turbo-kit-dyno-results&highlight=60-1+turbo

This is the thread you need to read, but remember those 550's aren't going to take you to 500whp without going past 80% of the injector cycle. Also, you'll may need a second fuel pump at that point (kind of on the border of what one Walbro or MK4 pump should have to flow).

Keep in mind too, those guys are using BC264's which give you more on the highend than the USDM 2JZ cams and are running standalone...

Thanks for the info and that thread was very helpful. Now I kinda have an idea of the steps I need to take to reach my goals. I think I would be satisfied with 450 to 500whp for a daily driver. After I reach my goal I'll start to build another MK3 with a 2jz for my race car strictly for the track I would like an MK4 but they're a little to expensive.