stock turbo removal help

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
I am a newb at forum searchings so I just make new post and ask. I just got an 57trim ct26 and started removing the old stock one. I got the DP and elbow off and all bolts that I could feel and see. I took of the intake piping and AFM as well as the intercooler coupler to the turbo, now I am stuck there is a line which i think is oil return the mounts under the turbo in the middle not on hot or cold side from what i can see. It feels likeit runs to the block i dont knw how to get this off and if there is anymore holding me back. Oh and I drain the coolant and oil and unpluged those lines as well.

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
Sounds like your almost there. Just remove the oil lines from either the turbo itself or the block. Probably easiest from the turbo, if you can get to to nuts. Did you unbolt it from the exhaust manifold? There are four nuts holding it to the manifold.

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
mk3supra;1246446 said:
Sounds like your almost there. Just remove the oil lines from either the turbo itself or the block. Probably easiest from the turbo, if you can get to to nuts. Did you unbolt it from the exhaust manifold? There are four nuts holding it to the manifold.

yeah that was a bitch but i got those I can see or feel the bolts to that line on the block or the turbo I need a pic or a trick on how to do it. I have sat for hours looking and pulling and trying to get at that damn line

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
I agree with Poodles... removal from the block would be easiest, although I've never done it that way! lmao I always pull the oil lines from the turbo (12mm with about a foot worth of extentions from under the car) Once you get the nuts off, I've found the lines still like to catch on the compressor wheel housing, just wiggle the hell out of it, scream a few bad words and it should come off. (note: the 4 letter words are required for this method to work correctly)

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
When I had to do this some very good supra guys helped me online. Im looking at you squid and Devin....

Get a set of gear wrenches you will use them all the time on this car. If you want to be cheap just get the 14mm swivel head gear wrench. It makes removal and installation a breeze BUT do not break loose or tighten with them.

The lines I pulled from the block by laying over top of the engine from the drivers side on a mat and cussing toyota. You get both hands on the lines this way (I have big arms so I need every trick known).. I also called mdmotorsports from here in the vendors forums and bought the braided oil lines. It is MUCH easier dealing with nice bendable lines when you reinstall.
Be careful with the oil line at the front of the engine as your oil sensor is there and it doesnt like abuse.

You are lucky my elbow refused to come off and I had to pull the downpipe/elbow at the same time which was fun alone.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
i suggest removing it from the block. i wish i did. i recently did the same swap as you and i wish i removed it from the block, because when you install it back on you will have to aim the turbo at the oil line and its a pain in the ass:nono:

Mikek3

Sep 2, 2008
South Florida
i removed them from the block it wasnt too hard once everythings outta the way just use a nice long extension and a breaker bar and a swivel helps too

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i find it easier to remove the oil line's from the turbo, jack the car up get some extenstions with a 10mm on it and remove the two nuts.. easie as pie.

now what normaly happens, is people remove it from the block. and during removal of turbo or the lines or while setting it down on the table, they end up getting bent out of place.

which isn't really bad untill you spend 4 hours tring to get the feed line bolted back onto the block. droping copper washers, or thinking you got the back washer in and it dropped and you bolted it up and find and awesome oil leak...

so, the way i remove my turbo now, is i remove the center v'band clamp, pull the two 10mm nut's from the center housing, and add head around where the v'band clamp was, lightly tap or pull and it will come right off. skipping atleast 10 nuts.

though i know my exhaust housing is in good shape. so replacing it isn't an worry for me.

doing it this way i can have the old turbo off and the new turbo on in about 30 minutes.... yes oil leak free too!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I suggest making some stainless steel braided lines for it, and then it's ridiculously easy to remove. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
- TSRM says to remove from the block (think this might have more to do with contamination of the pipes)
- Gearwrenches have lifetime warranties and tightening and loosening with them is FINE. They're stronger than they feel.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Poodles;1249076 said:
- TSRM says to remove from the block (think this might have more to do with contamination of the pipes)
- Gearwrenches have lifetime warranties and tightening and loosening with them is FINE. They're stronger than they feel.

i've doubled up (sliding the open end of one into the box end of another for added leverage.) many of my gear wrench's mostly my 14mm and 12mm and never have broken one yet. and i've had them for almost 3 years.

i've had people steal a couple of them though.

Last edited:

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
Got it off only took an hour not too bad the laying on the motor trick helped alot and it also help to have a can of free all if you turbo has never moved since 1987 haha thanks for all the help guys.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Poodles;1249076 said:

I popped one when gorilla pulling on the head side nut on the turbo. I love my swivel head gear wrench though. Better safe than driving back to sears bitching about the bloody knuckles.

V

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
bovvinsuprahiro;1257239 said:
Got it off only took an hour not too bad the laying on the motor trick helped alot and it also help to have a can of free all if you turbo has never moved since 1987 haha thanks for all the help guys.

Im telling you my sons sleep mat has been very useful working on the supra. Heck my friend laughed when I told him the only reason I put in a strut tower bar. (I needed support to lay on when reaching through the motor as I hate breaking sensors at 80+ a pop)

Braided lines from MDSmotorsports rock and flare wrenches help with the line install.

V

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Poodles;1249076 said:

I use and abuse mine everyday. Only one I broke was my 18mm, holding a nut while using an IR Ti impact on the bolt on the other end haha. It just started freespinning. I've broken way more craftsman 1/2" ratchets than I hve ratcheting wrenches.