Stock MK3 Height

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hey everyone i have a quick question. What is the stock MK 3 ride height to the top of the wheel arches? I am thinking about doing my suspension this winter and want to know so i can buy drop spring/shocks or coilovers accordingly. I believe that my car has stock TEMS suspension but it seems lower then some of the 4X4 supra pics i have seen (not that it is low). I currently measure at 26" in the front and 27" at the rear with 235 45 R17 tires. I know the TSRM says to measure from under the car, i just figured this measurement would be quicker for people to check. Below are two pics of how the car currently sits.

Attachments

• IMAG0411.jpg
    IMAG0411.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 35

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I wanna say that's what mine was.. but it might have been 28 inches and 29 inches front and rear respectively.

I know from pre 89 to post 89 they lowered the car.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the replies guys. I already drag my exhaust backing out of the driveway and got so sick of dragging my lip that i removed it. However, this could be because the springs/shocks are old. I wonder how much that would go away with new springs/shocks even if it is a little lower.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Shocks and springs will tend to sag, that goes for my post also as the figures may be with the standard suspension sagged over the years...

Not only will replacing them give you peace of mind that they have been done you will most likely get a way better ride. I'm on bilstein shocks with cir clip adjustment (have to be taken off the car to adjust, has 3 steps of adjustment by around 10mm each) lowering springs and White Line sway bars, the ride is amazing cornering is super good for such a heavy car and it has transformed the car not only visually but the way it responds and handles. Maybe something you want to look in to ?

Nice mk3 by the way

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks ryan yea either i am going to go with the blistien's with tanabe springs or with stance or HSD coilovers. I am just not sure what the minimum drop is on the coilovers atm. My goal now is to do all of the subframe and control bushings at the same time and then do the sway bars in the spring. I just need to figure this out so i can get to work and finally put my new interior in.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Sounds good, in my eyes the adjustable suspension just takes the guess work out of lowering the car... well the laws here is you get the car certified at the height you want your car to be (can be as low as you want as long as when the tires are deflated your car inst touching the ground) and with springs/shocks you don't need a certification as long as long as the car is not under 100mm from lowest structural part of the car to the ground. I'm not sure what the law is with you just thought I'd share, but in my case if I went adjustable suspension then I would pay the extra money for coil overs + certification cost ($550 NZD) and still have the same results as I would with shocks and springs since I personally wouldn't go lower than 100mm.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I laugh at old pictures of my car at how high it actually was, the ride is awesome too, how come you refuse to lower your car ?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I've never been a fan lowering cars. Plus I'm old now and I have a hard enough time getting in and out of this damn car. I've had this supra since I was 21, and lowering it was never considered.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1888194 said:
Plus I'm old now and I have a hard enough time getting in and out of this damn car. I've had this supra since I was 21...
I call BS on that "old" part. The oldest Mk3 is only 25 years old itself. Even if you had an 86.5, if you had it new when you were 21, that puts you at 46. Old my ass. :p

On the original subject, Jay, IIRC, the stock ride height was about 2.5-3" of wheel gap. Considering you have ~25.x" of tire, if you're only sitting at 26/27" to the fender, you are definitely sagging. My Mk2 has the same problem...

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks Brad thats what i thought. Now its just time to pull the trigger on a good set so i can swap it and finally reinstall my interior. Im gonna search but if i don't find anything keep your eyes out for a what to remove when deleting TEMS thread soon.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Deleting TEMS is easy. Unbolt the top covers, unbolt the sensors/bracket, and you're done. :)