Stock internals? How much power have you gotten out of them?

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
Ok so I'm doing my rebuild and looking at either the NPR stock replacements or the CPs from driftmotion. I'm looking to hit ~500 on high boost and daily it at around 400 I have my cams ground to 264 from delta cams and im having the block bored .20 and getting the pistons which ever I buy obviously .20 over. I have also done a port and polish on the head. My question is though will the stock rods handle the abuse I looked at the horsepower list there are a few that posted decent numbers on stock internals and some with upgraded pistons. Is that much of a difference going with say je rods. Has anyone found the breaking limit with the stock rods/ internals?

Also on another note I have noticed that most after market parts for the supra start around 400 dollars lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock rods can handle a good amount. I'd go with the cp pistons if you want 500 tho just for reliability reasons.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's usually not bending the rod, but pulling the big end apart...

I'll mirror everyone here though and say it's almost ALWAYS the tune. I'm of the opinion the only difference between MKIV and MKIII guys is that they go standalone first...

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
jonahs_supra;1852609 said:
show me a bent 7m rod and ill show you a real unicorn lol

i have yet to see anyone say the bent a stock 7m rod...but i havent searched this a whole lot
I like that saying lol

I knew that the 7m was strong but didnt know that it was that strong internally. Makes me feel a lot better.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I do not believe the NPR pistons are the same as toyota pistons. Xman did what he did on new parts from toyota, not 20 year old ones(rods too). The cost of new pistons from toyota makes this a non issue, you will spend more than what several brands of forged cost.

Call driftmotion, ask them about the NPR's. I considered them at first but received to much negative feedback from local and out of state first hand users.

I agree with poodles x 2, most of us cheap out on the tuning side. I have not seen a bent 7m rod but have seen several with the big end breaking and punching holes in the block.

If you were going to save the money from reusing stock parts to get a standalone for those power goals, go for it. Other wise your going to need the forged with piggy backs and 500hp..

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
I called and talked to driftmotion about the nprs and they said that they are a direct stock replacement for the 7m and are good quality but I have no idea how to measure the quality if no one that i know except for one guy on here that i have talked to has used them

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I was originally planning on a 400+ WHP build, and was going to do stock pistons. Then I was looking at the NPRs, and while I believe that the NPR pistons COULD get me where I wanted to go, I ended up buying the Arias forged pistons, but this is because I know myself well enough to know that if I built to my current goal, I'd be kicking myself if... no, WHEN I wanted "Just a little more."

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
well thank you for doing a bit more research than I did. so Ive heard mixed reviews on forged probe pistons, reliability is key here I'm not wanting to pull this thing apart again getting the engine out of the engine bay proved to be the most difficult I have ever dealt with not wanting to do this again though it would be easier the second go around lol.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Poodles;1852643 said:
It's usually not bending the rod, but pulling the big end apart...

I'll mirror everyone here though and say it's almost ALWAYS the tune. I'm of the opinion the only difference between MKIV and MKIII guys is that they go standalone first...

That's why instead of doing the lexafm/550 mod I'm going aem ems v2 with only a 57 trim/hardpipe/walbro 255 and afpr. I want reliabilty over power but power is appreciated of course :D

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
White Zombie;1853035 said:
What exactly did you hear was the problem with Probes ? I have them , with no issues ...

same as npr's
problems with ringlands breaking

a few forums i searched around always had 2 or more broken pistons due to ringslands that came from the same motor

Get what you pay for!!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jonahs_supra;1853133 said:
same as npr's
problems with ringlands breaking

a few forums i searched around always had 2 or more broken pistons due to ringslands that came from the same motor

Get what you pay for!!!
Bad tune will break any piston, forged just have more overhead before failure...