Stock AFM air scew...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
I know on the Lexus AFM mod you can adjust the screw in to lower fuel cut and out to raise. Wouldnt this work the same on the stock afm if you stayed with 440's? Reason I ask is I have drilled the plug out, tapped to install a lock bolt (to keep the adjuster from turning) and wanted to get a MBC to up the boost and then fine tune with my SAFC. This "sounds" like it would work but I wanted some proffesional input. No flames please I have searched but apparantly not hard enough.... Thanks.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Well, the stock bypass chamber is alot smaller than the lexus afm. I really don't think you are going to raise the fuel cut a whole lot. If you do not have a wideband you are playing with danger. You need the supporting mods if you plan on raising your boost. The way I think is you have a old fuel pump, injectors and a stock regulator. Not a good idea for more air at this time. Also the stock boost gauge only goes to 8 psi. You would not know how much boost you would be running with a mbc unless you changed the stock gauge.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
I have a wide band, SAFC, 3in exhaust, upgraded intercooler, boost gauge, Im running 9 psi right know, still pig rich, and wanted to boost up to 12 psi with out fuel cut. This was just a thought I was kicking around. I can always up the fuel with the safc.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Ok. Looks like your alright since you have a wideband. Then the answer would be yes. Any unmetered air will raise fuel cut. If you hit fuel cut im sure you will know it.:icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's a reason they're blocked off, it's a calibration. If I could find the postings by jetjock on this it would explain that it's a bad idea to jack with it...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Turned it out a 2 more turns, fuel cut right at 12 psi on a cold night. Does work fine, AFR are still 11.5-11.8 @ WOT with only 20% more fuel added between 4200 and 5000 rpm.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It can be messed with on a GTE (although it shouldn't be) but don't do it on a GE. It serves a different purpose on that engine, which is why the screw position is coded onto the housing of N/A flow meters but not on the Karman.