Still smoking on deceleration

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
So I had a bit of oil in cylinder number 2 after my rebuild so I did a compression test and all the other ones were around 145 psi except number 2 it was 165. I got some new valve stem seals for a friend and today i put them on. The car would only smoke when I would decelerate then put it in natural. I just got done doing the new seals and it didn't smoke at all when I went around the block and hard deceled. Then on the way home it started smoking again the same way it kind of made me mad that I did all that work and still didn't fix it. I wanted to know if it could be the turbo the rings for the head gasket? I have arp's with a hks 1.2 gasket on its around 6 months old with both the head and block machined. I did put a new ngk plug in cylinder 2 to see if its still burning but need to put some miles on it first will update that later.

p1826907_1.jpg

p1826907_2.jpg

p1826907_3.jpg

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
I'd like to find out the answer too. My car smokes after i decel in gear. I'm leaning towards valve seals or rings too.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Nick M;1827010 said:
Is this during a coast down while in gear, or without an engine load and the IDL contacts closed?

Need to answer this first. Basically if it's happening while you're in gear and decel, you're looking at pulling oil in under the high vacuum and past the rings or valve seals. I would lean more towards turbo if it's doing it even when not under vacuum.

You should also be able to tell if you're pulling oil in to the cylinder by checking your plugs. Here's a good guide with pictures on how to "read" your spark plugs:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
mcammarn;1826950 said:
maybe a bad piston ring? i know ive gotta do the valve stem seals also.how was doing yours?
well with the blueprint valve spring compressor it was simple. Just put the cylinder to bdc and feed some rope in there like a foot and a half to two feet then turn the crank till it stops. then put the spring down the take all the components out and pull the seal then oil the new one and push it on. The compress the spring keepers and retainers down with the blue print GA317 tool and your good to go.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Nick M;1827010 said:
Is this during a coast down while in gear, or without an engine load and the IDL contacts closed?
Ill deccel and then take it out of gear then it smokes. while driving nothing not even on start up or hard pulls. I did notice a bit of oil on the lip of the inlet part on the turbo and I have no valve cover vents going back in the accordion pipe there is nothing there that would suck oil back into it but the turbo. I wont smoke till i take it out of a gear.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Might be due to the flash but looks like its running a little hot (white) to me. I would say that cylinder is not pulling oil. From what I have seen turbo seals are a pretty common issue, has anyone been behind you when in boost to see if it smokes during?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kakanator;1827197 said:
Ill deccel and then take it out of gear then it smokes. I did notice a bit of oil on the lip of the inlet part on the turbo and I have no valve cover vents going back in the accordion pipe there is nothing there that would suck oil back into it but the turbo. I wont smoke till i take it out of a gear.

No PCV of any sort?

kakanator;1827199 said:
what are IDL?

IDL=Idle. The TPS has contacts that open when you accelerate. They close when you take your foot of the pedal. That is deceleration fuel cut. But I am thinking that isn't your issue. You can check for a 51 anyway.

The PCV doesn't cause a car to smoke when operating correctly. However, if you have nothing, you will have higher than normal crank pressure, pushing oil from where ever it wants to give. I think that is the core issue.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
kakanator;1827197 said:
Ill deccel and then take it out of gear then it smokes. while driving nothing not even on start up or hard pulls. I did notice a bit of oil on the lip of the inlet part on the turbo and I have no valve cover vents going back in the accordion pipe there is nothing there that would suck oil back into it but the turbo. I wont smoke till i take it out of a gear.

Missed this ^

I'm with Nick, if you aren't running any pcv thats my bet on your problem.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I used to have the same issue as you...

Mine went away after I replaced all my pcv hoses and made sure they were not leaking at all.

Also I changed my turbo before the pcv but problem still was present.

New pcv cured mine

Dec 31, 2010
IL
Nick M;1827956 said:
No PCV of any sort?

IDL=Idle. The TPS has contacts that open when you accelerate. They close when you take your foot of the pedal. That is deceleration fuel cut. But I am thinking that isn't your issue. You can check for a 51 anyway.

The PCV doesn't cause a car to smoke when operating correctly. However, if you have nothing, you will have higher than normal crank pressure, pushing oil from where ever it wants to give. I think that is the core issue.

This guy is right, I just went through 4 oil changes as changed pcv setup, or neglected it and oil was backing up the return and smoking for no reason. No pcv, no wonder. Get it hooked up.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?156829-PCV-system-questions/page6

*Edit* bad pcv was causing rich condition in an already rich car, fuel in oil is bad, thus the frequent changes. (hypo-suupra-chondriach)