still no powersteering

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
Well before the engine swap my powersteering worked perfect, then I did the swap and it didn't work, so I assumed it was the pump, but then I bought a pump and still nothing, when the car is running . I can here the pump kinda wining a bit, so I belive its working, is there any way. I can narrow it down to the rack?

Thankyou

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
I am deffiently gonna pull off the resivor tomorrow and clean it then, is there a special way to get that screen out?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
not really, i just stabbed mine out with a screwdriver and im not running a filter atm. you can try letting it soak in sovent and blow air from the bottom up, or try to locate a new tank.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Let it soak in solvent and blow it out with high pressure water from the other side. Def don't poke it out with a screwdriver.. If that doesn't work hook up a ps pump pressure gauge to it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bioskyline;1675012 said:
not really, i just stabbed mine out with a screwdriver and im not running a filter atm. you can try letting it soak in sovent and blow air from the bottom up, or try to locate a new tank.

Equivalent of bypassing your oil filter :3d_frown:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
for what its worth, my car had a similar issue, but I could never get the OEM turbo reservoir screen clean enough for it to stop whining (I got power steering back though). I swapped it out for an NA reservoir and BAM! I had noiseless power steering.

just my experience... I wonder if the turbo screen is much finer than the NA reservoirs...

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya do not Stab with screw driver. Pump will die quick with dirt getting to it.

Just use brake cleaner and back flush it. Screen cant be removed.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
well im not driving the supra at the moment, as it sucks in the winter, but im going to the ge style tank. but i was using a screwdiver wraped in a rag to scape the junk off the screen, and well i sliped and stabed it.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You would think so, but since there is nothing being drawn into the pump (due to the screen being clogged), the system is in a no-flow situation.
It is very hard on the pump if you can imagine, being without lubrication or cooling in the form of the PS fluid (ATF in a supra's case).

edit- hvyman, you always seem to beat me to the punch D:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The pump sucks from the resivour. So when the screen is blocked there is no fluid flow for the pump to do it's job.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
well it will push a small amount of fluid before the void created by the clogged screen will cause enough restriction to prevent the pump from pumping some more

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Since you did a engine swap. check the plug that dropped into the rack, from the engine harness,under the intake manifold. If it is not plunged in your p/s won't work. Can someone help me out. I forgot the name of the thing it plugs into.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
PPS. Progressive power steering. I'm not sure if it being unplugged will cause the power steering to stop functioning, but it's a good idea :)