Stick with the 7mgte or swap for 1jz?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
bioskyline said:
you will need more than just the headgasket, you will need a headgasket kit, which will include everything from the HG up (intake, exaust, tb gaskets and new cam cover gaskets, most also include cam seals and valve seals) ive used fel-pro with no problems to date.

I used the Fel-pro kit as well and it worked great minus one thing. When you replace all the gaskets make sure you get a Toyota OEM EGR Cooler gasket. I haven't found one in a kit that is made from the proper material and it will burn up on you in about 3000 miles if you don't use the right stuff. Kits from what I've seen include a cardboard type gasket where it needs to be a graphite/metal type gasket due to the temperature of the exhaust gases passing by it.

Also, if you're aiming for 400-450hp and using a composite head gasket, better make sure that your tune is absolutely perfect. It has been done before but the composite headgasket isn't as forgiving at those power levels for errors in tuning.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I am getting a head gasket kit for sure but the head gasket it comes with is graphite, so I want to get an OEM or close to OEM gasket. I am not planning on reaching my 400+HP goal until a long long long time from now at this stage I just want to fix the head gasket, replace a few others along the way, stop the pigeon sounds from the rear passenger suspension because that is driving me nuts, and before I reach my HP goal I will have replaced the entire suspension and other components.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I was making mention of the EGR cooler gasket to watch out for, not the head gasket. The kit head gasket is fine.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea, I will be sure to get a good EGR cooler gasket. Thanks for the help guys really will help me get started on tearing down the motor and replacing this stuff.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Doat;1840882 said:
I would do it myself but I don't have the knowledge to do something like that even though from what I have read up in the TSRM it doesn't seem like something out of my ability.

Not to knock you man but if you don't have the knowledge to do a head gasket how the hell are you going to pull of an engine swap?

Motor swaps are not as cheap as people like to make out. Maintain your 7M and if you ever have an extra 12k sitting around then swap a 2J in that bitch.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Mr Bojangles;1844394 said:
Not to knock you man but if you don't have the knowledge to do a head gasket how the hell are you going to pull of an engine swap?

Motor swaps are not as cheap as people like to make out. Maintain your 7M and if you ever have an extra 12k sitting around then swap a 2J in that bitch.

+1

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I wasn't going to do the engine swap myself lol I wouldn't trust myself with a job that big, I can do a head gasket change and I have decided to stick with the 7M for the power I want to achieve also it's a reliable motor right if maintained and such?

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
Mr Bojangles;1844394 said:

+2
Baaahahaha lol thats funny, also side note saying "not to knock you man" is like saying "with all due respect" hummmm good old ricky bobby!!! "With all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on."

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
hahahaha, if i didn't think I could do it I would not even take the chance. I am keeping this baby until the wheels fall off, which might not be too far off since it's all 21 years old lol.
So a graphite head gasket will do me fine? I plan on going metal when I can reach my HP goal but like I said that is a long long way from now.

Last edited: